Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry sis, you got your hands on some GMO seeds, only about 10% of the GMO seeds will ever produce any fruit if they are taken from GMO produced fruits. It will take about 5 generations of keeping the fruit, keeping the seeds, getting them "clean again" and having some heirlooms....
my BIL had kept some sweetpeas for planting and got also beautiful plants without any peas...Gary
Remember you showing me several non-gmo websites?? I was looking and calling and found out that a shop here in town(!!) only sell non-gmo/heirloom seeds. AND they have watermelon, cantalope and such also. Just bought a 3 year supply of seeds and fertiliser too!!!
Will be happy to buy and send anybody heirloom seeds (watermelons!) if you wish. Gary

I will rephrase my response. There is no such thing as a GMO melon ever.
Currently, there are ten genetically modified crops that have been approved by the US and are available on the market.

Squash-1995
Soybean 1995
(Field & Sweet) Corn-1996
Cotton-1996
Papaya-1997
Canola-1999
Alfalfa-2006
Sugar Beet- 2006
Potato-2016
Apple-2017

This information is readily available at the United States Dept. of Agriculture website for anyone that is really interested.

There is no such thing as a GMO melon ever.
Maybe in the US, but here I can get NON-GMO seeds for any possible plant, veggie or fruit...the lady said she does not buy anything but non-gmo seeds and would not sell anything else. She said explicitly that the watermelon are non-gmo...hope she is right and only after I have planted, harvested, saved, and re-planted the seeds will we both know for sure...I need to save the seed and dry them for at least one year before they can be re-planted as "heirloom" true seeds....live free, Gary

REGULAR SEEDS VS ORGANIC

Okay, I have not always valued organic seeds, but I came across a video explaining the difference and found it very helpful! Thought I would write it up and pass along.

Commercial seeds are left in the ground much longer than ones we grow on our mini farms and homesteads for food. That being said, it means they are more subject to pests and disease. Because of this, Commercial growers spray them numerous times with synthetic chemicals. Additionally, plants that are grown for seeds, not sold as food are under much looser criteria here in the US. They can spray them more often and with much higher chemical amounts.

Now coming to my main point, because they are permitted to spray these plants sold as seeds so often and at higher chemical levels, plants that would not have made it through the season, or just less healthy plants turn to seed. Therefore you get weak seeds in with the stronger ones in the non organic seeds purchased.

Buying organic means you consistently buy the strongest seeds.

I am also in 6b. I try to stick with the zone ratings for outdoor planting, but you can mess with them a bit if you can deviate the temps, like shade in the summertime, or greenhouse in the fall and winter

2 of 3 types of my plums are in full bloom. I hope I don’t get a high wind.

The type that produced really well last year, haven’t bloomed yet and produced after we trimmed them back well. Those were some pretty sweet plums.
I had given up on them even being able to produce anymore. Hope I can get them before the birds.

I’m starting my first real gardening from seed attempt ever. Got some broccoli, lettuce and other various plateable weeds starting to sprout. I’m not near hungry enough to eat that crap yet but it will be interesting figuring out what works or doesn’t.

I am in limbo this year so I will be concentration on raising just one crop, tomatoes. We use so many tomatoes that if I could just supply our own needs, this one contribution would make some difference financially but a big one in terms of constant availability. Also, they are nutritious.

Never really gave it much of a thought until recently.
Good thought and funny how a plandemic brings us all to start thinking of and about such stuff which was never questioned before 2020...
Maybe we should all just keep on keeping our own heirlooms and only raising those plants we know come from here and buy the other food from exotic places instead of "forcing" it to grow abnormally somewhere...
Thanx for the idea lady, Gary
The wife wants our little pop-up garden houses to be set up this week so she can start planting our seeds. They are both clear plastic, three feet wide and five feet high. On colder nights, I set a petroleum lamp inside to keep the temp over freezing and in the daytime they get good sun on the terrace.

I am also in 6b. I try to stick with the zone ratings for outdoor planting, but you can mess with them a bit if you can deviate the temps, like shade in the summertime, or greenhouse in the fall and winter

Thank you for the tip Amish Heart! I’m actually in zone 7a, but used the other as an example. Should have just used my zone. What are your favorite green beans and Lima beans to grow?

Until this year I would look through seed catalogs like Johnny’s and Gurney‘s and purchase for my zone…but since those seeds are grown in Ohio and Maine I’ve decided not to purchase from seed companies out of my area (like Gary stated). Do you purchase seeds at all or just save your own? I’ve saved a few different types of seeds, and they have grown well…but have not tried to save that many. Sounds lazy doesn’t it?!

Last edited:
I have an aero garden I use to start herbs. Works like a dream! If you build a greenhouse, make it larger than you think you need. Wishing mine was 5’ longer now. It’s because I’ve started growing lemon trees in it and they take up space.

On colder nights, I set a petroleum lamp inside to keep the temp over freezing and in the daytime they get good sun on the terrace.

What a fabulous idea!! Never would have thought of that. I have high row covers I bet could benefit from oil lamps. Luckily I started purchasing oil lamps years ago and have numerous ones.

I just planted Contender green beans and Dragon Tongue in five stock tanks and put old windows on top to keep them warm. I save seed, get seed in store if I see it, and also order from Baker Creek (Rareseed.com) on other things. Just bought racks and LED lights to set up in the basement, too. I've got a greenhouse outside, but it's really not that big, would like another one.

Question for you guys who start from seeds. Which type bulbs to you use. For the first time, I ordered full spectrum bulbs. They are tiny compared to regular bulbs.

From what I've read, the full spectrum bulbs are good for starting and growing.

Comments please.

Since I grow mine in the living room. Yep, living room. I have to have an easy in and out, that's why I choose bulbs. The regular large grow bulbs are scarce. I found the blue that just makes them look nice, but not to help grow.

I wish I could have a permanent set up like you, but it's not in the cards right now. Maybe someday I will convert a room into a grow room. Before mom moved in, I used my daughter's room, but I sleep there now.

Latest posts

Back