Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm attempting to start onions from seed. I'm getting many differing options. My plan is to plant the seeds outside this Fall and see how it goes.

Do any of you guys start this this way. I was wondering about keeping them in the cold frame, but doing think I will keep the properly hydrated.

Any ideas will be appreciated. I've read that this method produces the largest yield.

After this rain,I'm going to redo the bed with sand and loose soil and hopefully the ground won't get so hard in the hot sun. That kept mine from growing this year. These were from sets.

I had two red onions that I missed last year and they made it through winter and were my biggest onions this year.

Burning brush pile today . It finally got dry enough . But during all the rain we had . Green brush grew up through it . So as it burns . I have to keep pushing the big stuff into the brush pile .
16960127125071581765797406937462.jpg

Last edited:
Well it took until now for the critters to discover our garden. !6x20 with chicken wire 6ft high on 3 sides 4ft high horse fence on the gated side.

I think we have a gopher or ground squirrel judging from holes. And i think the raccoons have discovered how to get in.

Bought some screw in electric fence insulaters, have the wire and solar charger. All around the top.

After 2 weeks off due to illness, I am so out of shape.

I had forgotten the bare roots strawberries haven't been planted so I started tilling, digging holes, planting and adding straw I seriously can barely walk because of the back pain. I've only done about 35 holes and have more to go, but I had to stop and fix my son lunch.

I do not like this.

If you are still talking about potatoes, I plant close to Easter.

Today I have hulled about 10 gallons of walnuts. I'm tired of squirrels stealing mine so I put them in a rabbit cage and covered it with deer netting.

I planted two packs of onion seeds and about 15 more garlic cloves.

I'm still picking tons of cherry tomatoes that were all volunteer bushes, and lots of peppers. Expecting a freeze in a couple of weeks, so we're even picking green ones. 8 buckets today, about 50 more to go, I think. Dehydrated, freeze dried, canned, frozen, eaten fresh, and chicken feed.

Has anyone left some of their potatoes in the ground all winter and had them grow in the spring? Just an idea I’m going to test out.
We usually plant the potatos in November for an early harvest. But, we do not have a very cold winter like most. We also plant them deeper than normal against frost and they get better roots before they come up. Usually they lay dormant since the ground is still cool and only on the first unusual warm days in Jan/Feb. do they start to get warm enough to sprout and plant roots.

Latest posts

Back