Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most folks in my area , are like many of you , seeing their gardens slowing down or stopping . However I simply don't get too jumpy and do not try to get in an early garden . A lot of my garden hasn't hit its peak yet and is producing heavier as the days go by , There is an exception though , I am a worried that my okra may have peaked out and is declining .
I got my garden in late for our area but it still hasn't preformed well for the most part. But I plant fall and winter crops usually, too.

Last year my fruit trees over produced. Plums,lemon,Orange. This year Nada. Even the ornamental plum, nothing. We must have had a windstorm at blossom time.
Apple and persimmon seem fine.

Some fruit and nut trees are naturally cyclical. They produce a good crop only every other year. In the off years, they only produce a few. You can force a crop with fertilizers. Think of it in human terms, a woman who is pregnant every year will have health effects.

Last edited:
Most folks in my area , are like many of you , seeing their gardens slowing down or stopping . However I simply don't get too jumpy and do not try to get in an early garden . A lot of my garden hasn't hit its peak yet and is producing heavier as the days go by , There is an exception though , I am a worried that my okra may have peaked out and is declining .
Our last frost is the second week in March. Depending on what zone you are in, early or late will differ. Here because we are considered a semi-arid desert, you usually want your crops harvested by July at the latest due to excessive heat and lack of rainfall (barring a stray TD or hurricane). Take a break on in ground planting until September, then get a fall crop in for harvest around the beginning of December. Break again, then get some early hardy stuff in in February for an April harvest.

Last edited:
Some fruit and nut trees are naturally cyclical. They produce a good crop only every other year. In the off years, they only produce a few. You can force a crop with fertilizers. Think of it in human terms, a woman who is pregnant every year will have health effects.
I can agree with you.
Always had some citrus, fertilized for couple years, last year oversized bumper crop.
Plum didn’t start producing till we trimmed it back to shape it. Darn, those plums were good.
Ornamental plum, nothing. Dont really care but unusual. Don’t need the dogs eating them.
Apples have been growing bigger than large crab apple size, some even turning somewhat red. Not an apple I recognize from NYS. But one one turning semi red was semi sweet. Very tough in this climate for apples.
Still think its a German Crab apple type. Original owner was from Gemany, house and barn have an Alpine/Alsace finish on them.
Have a friend who ran local nursery, I am going to bring him down to take a look at for advice. He has lived up here 50 years and I am the only one who has these type of trees that are 50yrs old.

Got my Buddy down today. Made him think about his nursery days (He used to distribute to the whole west coast).
He evaluated each of my fruit trees and came to the conclusion- they were weather steressed, because of that they are subseptable to insect damage. And I have signs of both. Weather may have contributed to no blossoms.
3 hours of my life, but I learned a lot and he felt useful helping me. Poor guy is so frail, another fall is going to do him in.

2.5 quarts for 2 hours work. But then again, I'm not going to get many large red ones.
Glad to hear you got anything...our cherry tomatos did nothing this year. Thank God the meat tomatos came thru tho. We have canned about 7 quarts so far and have enough left for at least another 10 quarts...

My cherry tomatoes are yellow and they are always proliffic. I put them in a gallon bag and freeze until I have a couple of quarts. The started with a love offering from a bird and now I have about 20 or 30 come up every spring. I give the seedlings away and still have tons.

My red large ones are struggling.

I had loads of several varieties and sizes of tomatoes this year from cherry to beefsteak, plus I bought 50 lb. Of roma tomatoes to can on top of canning from garden..(made regular tomatoe sauce, and spaghetti sauce)..not sure how many total qrts and pints I got, but was quite a bit.
Nothing else did much good Other than what we call enough for a "mess" or two, here n there. For now, my garden is bare and I think I'll wait another week or two to plant anything else. Just too hot! I also had tons of green grapes coming on vines, was exciting to wait to ripen, and now all of them are gone! Dang squirrels or coons, don't know, got em! I'm really ticked about that.

Picked the last of my beans today. I canned 3 quarts. Not much, but I'll take it. Had a lot of seeds for next year. I didn't pull the plants because I read to leave the roots in place and they add nitrogen to soil over the winter.

It is always sad to see all of my hard work turn brown and crunchy.

Picked the last of my beans today. I canned 3 quarts. Not much, but I'll take it. Had a lot of seeds for next year. I didn't pull the plants because I read to leave the roots in place and they add nitrogen to soil over the winter.

It is always sad to see all of my hard work turn brown and crunchy.
That's about all I got this year too Robinjo.

Latest posts

Back