Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled probably 100 cabbage worms off my plants. I do have winter cabbages started, so that's good, but it seems the worms are really bad this year.

I think all I do is complain about the garden this year. I am really happy when I am out working in it. I just wish it would have been more productive. If we have to survive by farming our land alone, we'll probably die. Thankfully there are lots of wild edibles out in the woods and we would have meat.

I looked at the thermometer and was shocked. It is only 74 at 9:45 and it is usually that overnight. The storms cooled us down.

I have two more large logs to split today. My neighbor brought them over yesterday. Each log will make 6 or 7 pieces. They are Hackberry which is a medium hard wood, but I'm thrilled to have it.

I finally harvested my potatoes. I'm a little disappointed in the space to harvest ratio. Is it because I planted them too late?

I'm not sure if I did something wrong again, if it's just me, or what. It's not a terrible harvest, but certainly wouldn't be enough to get us through the winter if we didn't have stores.

Garden has been fairly successful for the first real attempt here, Getting my wife hooked. I did turn some poor soil into atomic with pony poop.
Just went out and installed the main piping system for the drip system sprinklers.
Not going to be on a timer, but to just turn a faucet on, and leave for a while. Big time saver for me when she is at work. But i might miss that beer that it takes me to water.

My garden hasn't hit its prime yet as I took the " prepper practice " method and planted my entire garden with heirloom seeds . Other folks or at least most , simply went to a store and bought starter plants at the time I was putting seeds in the ground . I have one tomatoe just beginning to turn and the okra cutting is gaining momentum . We ate the first eggplant of the year last night . --- I practice for the apocalypse .

My garden hasn't hit its prime yet as I took the " prepper practice " method and planted my entire garden with heirloom seeds . Other folks or at least most , simply went to a store and bought starter plants at the time I was putting seeds in the ground . I have one tomatoe just beginning to turn and the okra cutting is gaining momentum . We ate the first eggplant of the year last night . --- I practice for the apocalypse .
I never really understood how people bought plants unless their seedlings die. We can't afford to spend that much money on the plants. They were over $4 each this year!

Me too. The only store bought for me were onions.

I am running out storage space and have been checking out crawl space storage. In the summer, the area is very cool and in the winter, it is cold.

I stored potatoes in a plastic container there last year, but was wondering if I packed boxes with straw to keep from freezing, could I store glass canning jars (full) there?

I am running out storage space and have been checking out crawl space storage. In the summer, the area is very cool and in the winter, it is cold.

I stored potatoes in a plastic container there last year, but was wondering if I packed boxes with straw to keep from freezing, could I store glass canning jars (full) there?
Did your potatoes freeze?

I pretty much cleaned everything out of my raised beds yesterday eve. I have 2nd round of green beans going I put out of greenhouse few wks ago, a few hot pepper plants, but other than that my 1st. Round garden is over. I think this eve I'll put some seed in to start new in greenhouse, and see if next round goes any better. I got mostly overwhelmed with tomatoes this year, not a whole lot of anything else did well, and some things ended up not worth planting.

I powdered some cucumbersort and made a paste for my face. It feels really cool and refreshing. I'm sure I don't look a day over 64.
You're beautiful at whatever age you look!

I might have to try doing that with some of these cucumbers. My husband and I joke that if shtf tomorrow we could survive on rice and pickles until Jesus calls us home. 🤣

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back