What garden additions/changes are you planning for 2021.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtDiva

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Well gardening is over for me for 2020. The seed catalogs are rolling in and am curious what have you learned this year in the garden. What are you planning to change or add this next growing season?

I am adding more strawberries. Just added additional blackberry and blueberry bushes and a cornelian cherry. Reworking my raised beds over the winter and adding compost. I am also going to allow some of my planting area to sit fallow or just with cover crops for the summer. Spring additions of pears and American filberts.

I'm starting up two raised bed gardens new this Spring, too, Amish. Just ordered/receive some deer netting to put around them on stakes. I know the deer can jump my yard fencing, although no evidence any have done so yet. But there wasn't any temptation in the past. ;) My father could feed all of Texarkana with his gardens, but I, sadly, didn't inherit his green thumb. So I'm not going all out on a fenced, closed in garden until I find out if I can actually grow a heckuva lot more veggies than the one year I tried gardening in Austin in 1975. Only had some chard, spinach, squash, and green onions.......oh, and a few green beans to show for all my efforts back then. In many instances, the insects beat me to any real harvest then. I do have my seeds though and the beds are just about ready now. :)

Last edited:
I'm really considering a different layout for me here. Normally I split the garden and have a middle walkway but that also takes away a lot of square footage that I can be planting in, so I think that since the fence around the garden has been taken down for deep tilling, I would like to reposition my gates on the other sides so I can still have a smaller walkway on one end so I can still get my little red wagon in and going thru between all the rows instead of being able to drive the golf cart and tailor thru. Hunny already did tilling with the tractor and borrowed a row maker from the neighbor so everything is basically set for spring planting. As for crops planted, I normally have a wide variety but will see when I go to the feed store if they have anything new or maybe something I haven't tried yet.

I’m considering getting a good finish tiller for the tractor. Would really make short work of the prep and allow me to plant a much larger area. Right now the garden and greenhouse produce much more than we can consume so don’t know if it’s worthwhile. Kind of thinking more along the lines of a bad economic downturn kind of thing. I honestly haven’t thought too much of spring yet as I’ve got a lot of pruning and spraying to do still. One phase at a time.....

Well gardening is over for me for 2020. The seed catalogs are rolling in and am curious what have you learned this year in the garden. What are you planning to change or add this next growing season?

I am adding more strawberries. Just added additional blackberry and blueberry bushes and a cornelian cherry. Reworking my raised beds over the winter and adding compost. I am also going to allow some of my planting area to sit fallow or just with cover crops for the summer. Spring additions of pears and American filberts.

I'm already getting seed catalogs. In past years, they didn't come until February.

We are only 4 months here now. Just got the back area plowed and tilled for about 10 rows of small garden area, each about 30 feet long. First attempt in gardening at all......
Have lots of heirloom seeds, fertilised with the compost from 2018 and a trailer full of horse and cow manure. Have one of the only private wells in the area for watering so we won't use the chlorinated water, or have to pay for the sewage (which is calculated from your water consumption).
There is a saying here: WE SOW IN HOPE AND HARVEST IN THANKFULNESS!
Here's hoping...Gary

Latest posts

Back