Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy new gardening season! Just received my Johnny’s Seeds catalog and am sitting here perusing it. Yes, I have a lot of seeds already…but I can’t resist getting some additional ones. Am thinking about creating a few lists of must have seeds and then buying numerous “sets” for neighbors and friends. First list will be Herbs for Cooking. Second will be Herbs for Medicinal Use. Third list will be Survival Vegetable Garden.

Does anyone have ideas about what they would add to these lists?

Last edited:
Happy new gardening season! Just received my Johnny’s Seeds catalog and am sitting here perusing it. Yes, I have a lot of seeds already…but I can’t resist getting some additional ones. Am thinking about creating a few lists of must have seeds and then buying numerous “sets” for neighbors and friends. First list will be Herbs for Cooking. Second will be Herbs for Medicinal Use. Third list will be Survival Vegetable Garden.

Here are my best medicinal herbs. I starred the easier growing ones.

*Artemisia spp. (wormwood-deworming, mugwort-calming)
*Calendula (skin health and ulcers)
*Chamomile (calming)
*Comfrey (external healing and green mulch)
*Echinacea Angustifolia (immune boost. Better in my opinion than E. purpurea. Effects wane after 14 days of any E. spp. use)
St. John's wort (mental health and topical pain relief. Slow to start and germinate but then it takes over!)
Chinese Skullcap, Scutellaria Baicalensis (antiviral)
Astragalus (blood cell production support. Must be cold stratified. Difficult to start sometimes.)
Elecampane (lung support)
*Mullein (lung support)
*Feverfew (migrain headaches- best used daily)
Marshmallow (sore throat. Finnicky grower.)
*Horehound (sore throat)
Self heal (wound healing. Small plants, best sown in open trays)
*Tulsi (cancer support and a lot of uses)
Valerian (sleep induction)
*Thyme (antiviral & antibacterial)
*Lemon Balm (antiviral, good against cold sores and styes)
*Heartsease violet (heart, cancer)
*Stinging nettles (detox+ a LOT of other uses)
*Dandelion root (detox, liver health)
*Turmeric roots (antioxidant, cancer)
Ginseng roots (many uses. So hard to find, so starting your own is such a great idea)

Not sure how many of these grow well in GA, but those are my essentials.

This is the first year with my cold frame, so I decided to do some testing. I planted some broccoli, cabbage and onion seeds and put in coldframe.

It is 45 here and it was warm under the glass. I'm anxious to see how it works.
Robin IMHO the most important thig to remember when using cold frames is to check them often. All it takes is the sun to pop out unexpectedly and they heat up fast. When they do heat up it is imperative to vent them and allow that excess heat to escape before they fry your plants within. My husband used to have a setup on my old ones at the big farm so that when they hit a certain temperature there was a little motor that vented them automatically.

*Chamomile (calming)
*Echinacea Angustifolia (immune boost. Better in my opinion than E. purpurea. Effects wane after 14 days of any E. spp. use)
St. John's wort (mental health and topical pain relief. Slow to start and germinate but then it takes over!)
Astragalus (blood cell production support. Must be cold stratified. Difficult to start sometimes.)
*Mullein (lung support)
*Horehound (sore throat)
Ginseng roots (many uses. So hard to find, so starting your own is such a great idea)

These are wonderful! Thank you so much for the list!!!

Robin IMHO the most important thig to remember when using cold frames is to check them often. All it takes is the sun to pop out unexpectedly and they heat up fast. When they do heat up it is imperative to vent them and allow that excess heat to escape before they fry your plants within. My husband used to have a setup on my old ones at the big farm so that when they hit a certain temperature there was a little motor that vented them automatically.
Thanks for info.

*Chamomile (calming)
*Mullein (lung support)
*Horehound (sore throat)

I only have 5 of these growing. I really want stinging nettle and am sure I have some in woods. Having trouble finding it. There are look alike plants.

Natural, indigenous edible plants, ones that might not scream FOOOD! to those not in the know. Think of it as a back up emergency source if a garden gets raided by the golden horde, or meets with some other misfortune; Plan C

My two cents: Like security, food procurement should be layered for any eventuality.

• Put up/stored foods
  • Incoming fresh/replacement stores; seed harvesting, gardening, fishing, hunting, livestock
  • Intentionally planned Guerilla garden foods/forest farming
  • Foraging skills/plant recognition
  • Storing of barter items
  • Local social contacts (farmer's markets, seed trading, foraging groups, neighbor up the road eTc)

Last edited:
I'd really like to focus on this more. I think you are wise.

My wake up call on that one was many years ago when a prepper I highly respected, mentioned that he had witnessed migration of large numbers of destitute refugees before and it looked almost like a plague of locust had swept through as they moved on.

Every plant commonly known as edible, had been consumed and destroyed including private gardens, crops and woodlands. The only thing that was left in their wake were plants that were either thought poisonous, inedible or mistaken for such.

Again, in a TEOTWAKI event, migrants will learn as they go from others what to eat and what to leave alone.

If you live in the boonies, by the time those once clueless people get to your area, they will be fairly well practiced in both raiding and foraging so, one of your back up plans for food needs to be the art of stealth gardening. It is just common sense.

Any of you every watch youtube "Learn the Land?" His name is Adam. He is super knowledgeable about plants, mushrooms, tinctures, etc.

Don't usually find people as young as he doing this type of work. I'll find one and post to make sure you get the correct guy.

Latest posts

Back