Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally have zero luck with citrus trees or any fruit tree or even berry bushes, exception is one huge blueberry bush which was on property when we moved out here. Even peach trees usually don't make it (as close to south Georgia as we are. Anyhoo...I planted a couple of peach trees again last year...one is blooming great this year! And had big ole bumble bee buzzing around on the blooms...so excited! I hope it lives!

Attachments

• 20230202_130948.jpg
    15.4 MB · Views: 0
We got our seed order from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in the mail today. The wife ordered a lot of vegetable seeds and I focused on hot pepper seeds. I got a couple packs each of hot pepper seeds: Death Spiral, Seven Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia, Apocalypse Scorpion, Carolina Reaper and a few others. Should have a good pepper garden this year.

A-dude, what are you cooking, bioweapons?
I guess that would be a good name for some of the stuff I make. I freeze or dry most of my peppers in the fall. During winter I make hot sauce, hot pickles, chili and pepper ketchup. I put peppers in just about everything I eat. I also send a lot of my pepper sauce to friends and family.

Has anyone gotten their potatoes in the ground yet? Mine are still chitting. I‘m getting anxious to get mine in the ground! This year I am planting a lot more. Some in the garden and others in big containers. I simply do not have enough garden space. Ugh. Hubby won’t cut down any trees. I killed one tree on purpose, which was shading a part of my garden. Going to kill another that is partially over my new raised bed.

Has anyone gotten their potatoes in the ground yet? Mine are still chitting. I‘m getting anxious to get mine in the ground! This year I am planting a lot more. Some in the garden and others in big containers. I simply do not have enough garden space. Ugh. Hubby won’t cut down any trees. I killed one tree on purpose, which was shading a part of my garden. Going to kill another that is partially over my new raised bed.
We're going to plant a lot of potatoes this year. Last year we planted potatoes in empty Vitalicks tubs. For some reason they didn't do very well. This spring we'll plant potatoes in mounds. We're still 3 months away from planting anything in the ground, but we do have some pepper seeds started inside under a grow light and on a heating pad.

We're going to plant a lot of potatoes this year. Last year we planted potatoes in empty Vitalicks tubs. For some reason they didn't do very well. This spring we'll plant potatoes in mounds. We're still 3 months away from planting anything in the ground, but we do have some pepper seeds started inside under a grow light and on a heating pad.
Do you know what varieties you planted? Some are better in tubs than others, but it's pre-coffee and I can't remember if it's indeterminate or determinate varieties... reason says determinate are better, but for some reason I think it was opposite for potatoes.
Am going to do a precise inventory on my seeds today. Should have had it done already.

I‘m testing out a new app called Seedtime. It organizes your garden beds and puts seed starting times, transplant times, fertilizer times etc all on a spreadsheet. It helps you not to miss doing any thing on time.
Too cold here for potatoes, too.

I just made and printed new egg hatching and seed inventory pages. Is Seedtime a subscription app?

Yes. We have potatoe leaves popping through the ground. Larry planted them in rsised bed, back in January. We also have bell and hot peppers, radish, an array of herbs out. Greenhouse is full of different plantings also with tomatoes. Few different beans, peas, a lot of different veggies. Can't recall everything but between raised bed and greenhouse we have a lot of veggies starting.

Seed time is currently free to use. You don’t get all of it’s capabilities, but by far enough to test out and use for a season.

I am also going to try out GardenVeg Planner, which looks fantastic. Only heard about SeedTime because of this Homesteader. They grow all of their vegetables. Raise all their own meat too. Pretty impressive with the size of her family!

The Seasonal Homestead

Here are the differences in Determinate potatoes vs Indeterminate when growing in containers.

Determinate Potatoes are considered fast growing. While Indeterminate Potatoes are considered slow growing.

You can achieve good results with Determinate type potatoes if you plant layers of seed potatoes in your buckets. For shorter season folks I would recommend this type.

Indeterminate Potatoes only need one layer of seed potatoes planted because they grow in multilayers, whereas Determinates do not. For longer season folks, you would generally get a better harvest with this type potatoes..

Am going to do a precise inventory on my seeds today. Should have had it done already.

I‘m testing out a new app called Seedtime. It organizes your garden beds and puts seed starting times, transplant times, fertilizer times etc all on a spreadsheet. It helps you not to miss doing any thing on time.
I do something like that with the burpee app. I'm sure it isn't as detailed. It has a section called My Garden. You put in your seeds and plants to be planted and it tells you when and what....,

Latest posts

Back