Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea, I haven't tried it. I'm just passing on info that was relayed to Me. Try it out and see what happens. I'm not inclined to accumulate old tires on property to test it...but who knows..

I have tried large plastic containers which did not work. But, I think I had soil too compact...
Mostly, we've had better luck with raised bed plantings. We'll see how this year's turns out...

My family, when I was growing up always planted them in ground and we always had plenty of potatoes.

Has anyone tried those reusable Silicone seed starting trays? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a handful to replace the shredded plastic ones. I can't buy enough to use only those.

Also, anyone having trouble with new seeds this year? I can't get my new broccoli and cabbage to start for anything. I have tried all the tricks I know. I think I may have gotten dud seed.
I save our water bottles and cut the top off them to start tomatoes and peppers. Most of the other stuff I direct seed.

I know this is a pre-school question about gardening, but is buying dirt really necessary if you have 80+ acres of heavily-wooded land?

With a perennial ground cover of leaves, twigs, and whatever the animals deposit, I would think my first venture into gardening could utilize this soil.

I prefer self-sufficient solutions but I see a lot of bags of dirt for sale in many places, so somebody's buying them.

I know this is a pre-school question about gardening, but is buying dirt really necessary if you have 80+ acres of heavily-wooded land?

With a perennial ground cover of leaves, twigs, and whatever the animals deposit, I would think my first venture into gardening could utilize this soil.

I prefer self-sufficient solutions but I see a lot of bags of dirt for sale in many places, so somebody's buying them.
Nah. If you have clay, you might want to buy some sand and work compost in, but bought soil is best for raised beds just because they dry out and warm up faster (and use nutrients more quickly if the bottom isn't open).

We have almost always gardened directly in the soil with a heavy dose of compost and some mulch to keep weeds down.

Another thing, though- you can plant in higher densities in good soil.

I like to kind of do the lasagna gardening method by putting down leaves, etc, then cardboard, then mulch. You can usually get free mulch from your local electric company when they do right of way cuts. Chip drop is a place you can sign up to get arborist debris, too. Craigslist and such often has free chips.

We sometimes buy a truckload but usually we can come up with free mulch. We also use hay and straw from the animals. Your soil will be as good as bought in about two seasons if you do this.

Those bags are for small pots, and lazy people.
Get yourself a tiller and till in mulch, leaves, whatever rabbit or chicken shit or aged manure you have.. mix in different soil types you have on the properly. . Test your soil and add in any nitrogen, magnesium, etc... as needed.

If you don't have any equipment to mix your own and want to buy dirt. Get a dump truck load for about $300

I have clay and over the last 23 years, I have added leaves, chicken bedding etc.

I use some of the planting holes as planters and add sand, soil, eggs, bananas, etc. If I dont, the clay gets so hard in the Summer heat, the roots can't grow.

The soil is much better after 20 years of prep, but still not good.

Those bags are for small pots, and lazy people.
Get yourself a tiller and till in mulch, leaves, whatever rabbit or chicken shit or aged manure you have.. mix in different soil types you have on the properly. . Test your soil and add in any nitrogen, magnesium, etc... as needed.

If you don't have any equipment to mix your own and want to buy dirt. Get a dump truck load for about $300

How do you go about testing soil without having to mail it to a lab?

I save our water bottles and cut the top off them to start tomatoes and peppers. Most of the other stuff I direct seed.
We bought a stack of 50 plastic camping or party drink cups to start our veggies in. Dirt in, seed in, water, grow. As they are ready to plant, turn the cup over, dump the dirt and plant into your hand, turn the whole thing over into the prepared hole in the ground and water again. Really cheap and fast.

When I finish my coffee this morning , I will be going out to pick my last mess of mustard greens from last fall's planting and then pulling them up by the roots to prepare and likely plant my garden in grass today for this coming fall's wedding in my garden area . I have more of those mustard green seeds and have them in my Nuclear winter growing seed stash . They have proven to be able to withstand 0 degree temperatures . Even if I have to change them from a winter crop to a summer crop during the Nuclear Winter, they should thrive under the projected environment . -- In case some missed it or don't know the projected temperature drop for the Nuclear Winter is 46 degrees .

Last edited:
When I finish my coffee this morning , I will be going out to pick my last mess of mustard greens from last fall's planting and then pulling them up by the roots to prepare and likely plant my garden in grass today for this coming fall's wedding in my garden area . I have more of those mustard green seeds and have them in my Nuclear winter growing seed stash . They have proven to be able to withstand 0 degree temperatures . Even if I have to change them from a winter crop to a summer crop during the Nuclear Winter, they should thrive under the projected environment . -- In case some missed it or don't know the projected temperature drop for the Nuclear Winter is 46 degrees .
Do you know which variety?

Do you know which variety?
Curly leaf mustard . I don't know if there is subspecies of curly leaf mustard or not . I bought a big quantity of them maybe 6 or 7 years ago by computer . Those seeds or still good . I have kept them in my deep freeze through those years .

Latest posts

Back