Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it, I'm moving to your neighborhood! Lol
I always have to buy tomatoes to can, but this year at $60, I'm just canning a few yellow ones. Luckily, I haven't touched any of last year's jars.

I planted so late this year because it was cold, mine are just getting tomatoes on them.

I've never seen so many grasshoppers before. Just walking through the garden thousands of grasshoppers are all over everything. On a couple of our apple trees they've eaten every single leaf on the tree. They're now starting to eat the bark. The leaves on our raspberry bushes look like skeletons. They've pretty much eaten our garden too.
They don't seem the like the blackberry plants or the grape, cherry, plum or peach trees yet. I found several tent caterpillar nests on our cherry trees. I sprayed them this morning. Gophers are pretty bad this year too. It hardly seems worth it at times. At least the Mormon crickets haven't made it up here yet. They make the grasshoppers look like amateurs.

I've never seen so many grasshoppers before. Just walking through the garden thousands of grasshoppers are all over everything. On a couple of our apple trees they've eaten every single leaf on the tree. They're now starting to eat the bark. The leaves on our raspberry bushes look like skeletons. They've pretty much eaten our garden too.
They don't seem the like the blackberry plants or the grape, cherry, plum or peach trees yet. I found several tent caterpillar nests on our cherry trees. I sprayed them this morning. Gophers are pretty bad this year too. It hardly seems worth it at times. At least the Mormon crickets haven't made it up here yet. They make the grasshoppers look like amateurs.
Grasshoppers are bad here too. No where near as bad as yours. They seem to love marigolds. They strip them down to the stem

Pulling down the sunflowers for harvest, pulled the weeds from around the potatos so the last 2 rows can be harvested. We got about 200lbs. this year. Helped harvest 14 tons of onions with a neighbor and got another bag of onions (30 lbs.) Canning tomatos and pulled the okra down for seeds for next year.

This has been a hard year for gardening. First we had snow and ice on June 22nd, then the birds wiped out the entire cherry crop, chipmunks ate all the strawberries, then the grasshoppers are just about everything else. We're going to make up a mixture of garlic oil and spray whatever is left.

Same here. Honestly, I gave up in about June. First was the bugs, then the dogs, then the drought, then the blazing sun.(107 in the shade today)...gotta keep an eye on the well too. We didn't have a problem in the last drought but others in the area did and our population drawing on the aquifer has tripled since then. Why I turned my eye to east Tx for a viable retreat.

Most folks in my area , are like many of you , seeing their gardens slowing down or stopping . However I simply don't get too jumpy and do not try to get in an early garden . A lot of my garden hasn't hit its peak yet and is producing heavier as the days go by , There is an exception though , I am a worried that my okra may have peaked out and is declining .

Latest posts

Back