Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet potatoes have made great looking vines . I've always waited until the leaves start turning yellow and wilting before digging . But this year they just keep growing . I'll probably dig them within the next couple weeks if they look ready or not .
I am interested in growing some sweet potatoes. Would you mind telling how you do it please?

I am interested in growing some sweet potatoes. Would you mind telling how you do it please?
You can buy or grow your own potato shoots . To grow plant a sweet potato in loose soil and when it sprouts shoots pluck them and plant them . You could do the same as regular potatoes and plant a whole or quartered potato .

I've been prepping seeds for next year. I have a lot of my cross pollinated squash that I've been planting for 4 or 5 years. It is a really good variety. I can't tell anyone because Monsanto will confiscate them even though the original seeds came from somewhere I can't remember. :)

I think I will have to purchase strawberry bare roots since mine died last Winter.

My okra is just getting large enough to leave on the plant to dry. I don't harvest until they split. I'm going to have more sunflower seeds than expected.

I'm seeding my best tomatoes, but they are the only veggie that may be sparse. I still have green ones and hopefully I will have a huge Brandywine indeterminate and a large determinate of some type.

As usual, I have tons of zinnia, marigold, clement and Cyprus vine seeds.

A novice gardener I remember posting a long time ago asking " how long can you store seeds " ? A few days ago I planted mustard greens , using seeds that I bought in 2017 . They are now up and apparently got a very good germination rate . Those seeds I keep in a freezer . All my other seeds I keep in a shoe box at whatever temperature my house is . I don't expect them to last as long as the mustard green seeds but perhaps lasting around three years . However I prefer using one year old seeds that I collect annually . --- Think cooler weather seed for the potential Nuclear Winter ahead . Estimations vary but have seen around 30 degrees cooler than normal floated .

An add on to my above post - The reason those mustard green seeds are kept frozen is because I foresaw the Nuclear War potential " even long before 2017 " , thus bought a large quantity of mustard green seeds to store for the Nuclear Winter . Those plants are relatively cool weather plants and would likely grow well during the summer after all the Nuckin is done and the temperatures are around 30 degrees cooler. Those seeds will likely still be good for several more years from now .

A novice gardener I remember posting a long time ago asking " how long can you store seeds " ? A few days ago I planted mustard greens , using seeds that I bought in 2017 . They are now up and apparently got a very good germination rate . Those seeds I keep in a freezer . All my other seeds I keep in a shoe box at whatever temperature my house is . I don't expect them to last as long as the mustard green seeds but perhaps lasting around three years . However I prefer using one year old seeds that I collect annually . --- Think cooler weather seed for the potential Nuclear Winter ahead . Estimations vary but have seen around 30 degrees cooler than normal floated .
Mustard greens are a great winter garden plant . I've harvested them with snow on them and they keep growing .

My strawberry bare roots will be here Monday. I have nothing prepared for them. Weeds are a foot high. I think I will dig the few that survived the freeze and till the entire garden. I just saw that we may have rain 4 days next week so I may have to wait on everything.

I'm going to buy straw tomorrow. The guy at feed store cracks up because I put it into my Chevy Equinox. I do put down a tarp.

There is only cauliflower and 2 tomatos left in the garden now. We harvested the heirloom seeds from two different types of radishes and the okra yesterday and stored them away. All the grass I cut, leaves I rake together and what is in the compost will go into the garden all winter and it will be continually/weekly rototilled to keep the weeds down and use them also as compost as they come up weekly. Just before spring, I will let those who survived the winter come up enough to be able to spray them and kill them down to the roots. The garden is only going to be used for watermelons, cantelopes and pumpkins this year to give it a rest and recuperate time.

The greens I planted 5 (?) Days ago have all sprouted

Planted my greens a couple of weeks ago and they are doing well! Especially my mustard greens!

When we had to clean out the chicken house for the replacement of rotten boards, I put all those pine shavings in a part of the garden I’m not using for Fall plantings.

Larry had the handyman come out last Saturday and get the greenhouse skinned and put new (better) greenhouse cloth on. The last few rain/wind storms this summer pretty well tore the greenhouse cover to pieces. Anyway, he got some seed going, not sure everything he's started, but I know mustard n collard greens are two things. They cleaned the raised beds out too, and got em are ready for planting new stuff for fall.

I plugged in dehydrator and went upstairs for about 5 minutes. Came back to this.

Attachments

• 20230925_092556.jpg
    20230925_092556.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back