Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I have hope for the new year. I got 4 seed catalogs in the mail yesterday.

I don't need many seeds, but I'm going to branch out in some areas so I'm going to order early. Going to get extra herbs to put in my cinder blocks like Dani does. Going to get seeds for bee friendly plants too.

There was a seed shortage last year.

I have hope for the new year. I got 4 seed catalogs in the mail yesterday.

I don't need many seeds, but I'm going to branch out in some areas so I'm going to order early. Going to get extra herbs to put in my cinder blocks like Dani does. Going to get seeds for bee friendly plants too.

There was a seed shortage last year.

Robin I plant borage and catmint and the bees love them both. Borage is edible and catmint makes a great herbal tea.

Sent in my Baker Creek order last week, and did alot of seed saving this year. Focusing on 3 varieties of large veg for animal feed (for chickens, turkeys, rabbits) and putting them in their own area...hog radish, a giant beet variety, and elephant kale that I grew last year. Trying quinoa this year, too for us and for feed.
I can't stand the smell of catmint, but the cats like it.

1-IMG_20211204_144719298.jpg

Got my compost cooking already for 2022. Chopping up all them fall leaves 😩

Sent in my Baker Creek order last week, and did alot of seed saving this year. Focusing on 3 varieties of large veg for animal feed (for chickens, turkeys, rabbits) and putting them in their own area...hog radish, a giant beet variety, and elephant kale that I grew last year. Trying quinoa this year, too for us and for feed.
I can't stand the smell of catmint, but the cats like it.

My chickens love Kale. My husband hates it!

I have grown catmint, but even the cats stayed away. I need new peppermint. Where I planted before must have had too much shade because it didn't produce.

I grow kale and walk by and pinch some off and eat it. I have some now, but it's getting too cold now and it is stunted. Cut some and took to my neighbor before opening gate for the chickens.

I hope we have a good growing season. Last year was a not a great year for beans. I have lots already canned, but I want to replinish.

Robin I plant borage and catmint and the bees love them both. Borage is edible and catmint makes a great herbal tea.
Which catmint? There are four different plants called "catmint."
Anisomeles indica
Anisomeles malabarica
(Malabar catmint)
Nepeta cataria (catnip)
Nepeta nepetella (lesser catmint)

Got my Burpee catalog yesterday. I'm trying to top off with some seeds and plants that I am not sure we will be able to purchase in coming years. I'm buying heirloom of course. Trying more herbs to flavor so I can cut down on salt and pepper consumption.

Question..... I grow garlic, but which type do you guy like best.
Which potatoes do you like best? I've never had much luck but this year, I'm using store bought seed potatoes. Hoping to save some for seed for next year.
After years of no luck, I'm trying asparagus again. The only heirloom is Mary Washington. Any comments?

I will probably end up turning my entire front yard into gardens. We don't have luck with grass anyway. I need to cut some more trees. I wish my hickory nut tree was so I'll placed. It is shading and poisoning the ground like walnuts do.

Come on Spring.

The wife has big plans for the garden this year. First I'll take the pig pen out and move it further east and enlarge it. The garden and orchard will be expanded too, with all new deer proof fencing. Then she wants to turn the current chicken coop in to her garden shed. Of course that will mean building a new coop. The new coop will house the layers, plus it will have a section for meat chickens, an incubator and brooder room, an infirmary and feed room and processing area. This will all be under one roof.

We got our first seed catalog a few days ago, Butler Creek i think. Got the Murry McMurray chicken catalog too. The wife and I are getting our orders together for seeds and chicks. We want to get our orders in early in case there's any shortages this spring.
There was a shortage last year. I tried in February and many were unavailable.

We are going to be building us a garden shed close to the chicken house. Same style, stain and roofing. Still deciding exact size. Is it silly that I’m excited about it? 🤪

On another subject...has anyone grown or baked with Hard Red Wheat? Hate to admit it, but I have not. Isn’t it the flour used for strong totally wheat breads? Does anyone like to bake with it?

We are going to be building us a garden shed close to the chicken house. Same style, stain and roofing. Still deciding exact size. Is it silly that I’m excited about it? 🤪

On another subject...has anyone grown or baked with Hard Red Wheat? Hate to admit it, but I have not. Isn’t it the flour used for strong totally wheat breads? Does anyone like to bake with it?
I have grown it in the yard, and picked some and rubbed it between my hands to winnow a few grains to munch on, but not milled or baked with it.

This is from The U.S. Wheat Associates:

https://www.uswheat.org/crop-quality/hard-red-winter/For the miller, HRW brings consistency to the grist. A balanced mill optimizes flour extraction and helps maximize milling efficiency. Maintaining HRW as the foundation of the mill grist allows the miller to blend other U.S. classes, local wheat or wheat from other origins as cost advantages or product differentiation opportunities develop. For the baker, HRW benefits include improved baking characteristics, including dough stability and water absorption, either alone or as part of a blend. HRW delivers consistency as it is always available and provides the most reliable foundational ingredient for most wheat-based products.

Latest posts

Back