Zucchini plant trained as a Standard

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! I absolutely love this!! Who sells the seed and do you have the name?

EDIT: DUH, I just needed to click on it. Here is an excerpt for anyone else interested in cultivar…

“First thing worth noting is cultivar. I have only tried this with Blackjack but the important thing is that the plant naturally grows only one main stem. If it splits off into multiple you will have better success with a trellis.

The next important note is moisture. Exposing the soil like this allows the top to dry too fast. In all of my attempts I suffered badly with blossom rot until mulch was added and moisture stabilises. As we are lifting the canopy you must shade the soil one way or another. Next year I’ll be trying with cover crops.”

Yeah, I thought it sure was cool, especially for folks with limited space. She had only done it with 'Blackjack' zucchini and she tells you all about it in fair detail in the first comment below the pic on that page. I just Googled and all those sources I see are Australian, so I think I'll keep looking and see if I can find this specific cultivar or just try it with the seeds I have and tie it onto the stake as best I can to get it up off the ground. One commentor on Dave's Gardens.com (US) said this about them:

Stakeable Blackjack' Zucchini .PNG
Thought I'd found a US source: Denali seeds via Best Cool Seeds But when I went to the 'Bestcoolseeds' order site, clicked Quick Order Form at the left, then the All Products pull-down button, 'Blackjack' wasn't listed. Only one called 'Blackbeauty. But I don't think she made a mistake, as there IS a 'Blackjack' cultivar seen in NGA's database: Plant database entry for Zucchini (Cucurbita pepo 'Blackjack') with 7 data details.. I see no members have uploaded a photo yet, so that's a probably an indicator this is a non-native plant. I try to avoid those pretty much. I'm going to just try the method on the seeds I do have already. Too bad, those seem so cool!

Also found these links for more info on them:
https://www.smartseedstore.com/why-buy-bulk-cucurbita-pepo-seeds-4/
https://www.cooksinfo.com/blackjack-zucchini

Latest posts

Back