Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I accidentally killed all of my turmeric and ginger plants. I was looking to replace but one plant is $11. To me that is expensive. I always have about 10 or so plants of both so that really adds up.

Anyone have any more economical sources? Thank you.

As you guys know, my family takes a B12 shot every 2 weeks. Started after we had covid to combat the fatigue. Really helped. I just saw a video of a man who gives the shots to people in early stages of Covid. Says they all improve within 12-24 hours. Of course, he can't say he has found cure, but he is very pleased.

Might be worth looking into.

Last year I planted some cantaloupes, the plants grew well and looked healthy…they put off flowers galore, but not one single cantaloupe grew. :confused: Does anyone have ideas as to what I can do to have them grow?

Pollination?

Does anyone have ideas as to what I can do to have them grow?
Sorry sis, you got your hands on some GMO seeds, only about 10% of the GMO seeds will ever produce any fruit if they are taken from GMO produced fruits. It will take about 5 generations of keeping the fruit, keeping the seeds, getting them "clean again" and having some heirlooms....
my BIL had kept some sweetpeas for planting and got also beautiful plants without any peas...Gary

Sorry sis, you got your hands on some GMO seeds, only about 10% of the GMO seeds will ever produce any fruit if they are taken from GMO produced fruits. It will take about 5 generations of keeping the fruit, keeping the seeds, getting them "clean again" and having some heirlooms....
my BIL had kept some sweetpeas for planting and got also beautiful plants without any peas...Gary

I was wondering if it was the seeds. Ugh. Thank you for letting me know! Will order some heirloom ones with my seeds for spring. Need to get those ordered today or tomorrow. I’ve been too caught up in choosing which ones. 😁

I had some potatoes with large sprouts. Thought I would do a test to see just how small of a piece of potato is actually needed to get results. May not work at all, but we never know what we will have to work with in the future.

Last year I planted some cantaloupes, the plants grew well and looked healthy…they put off flowers galore, but not one single cantaloupe grew. :confused: Does anyone have ideas as to what I can do to have them grow?

Possible causes I personally think the biggest possibility would be as PP suggested and pollination.

Temperatures also play a huge part also as the blooms will not set if the temperatures are too hot or too cold at just that right stage when the blooms are at the stage they they set.

Over fertilization can also be the culprit. There they make very large vines with lots of leaves but very little fruit set.

For me personally last year was a cool and wet growing year and not a good melon year. For me melons do well in hot and drier years and are sweeter and set blooms better. We all have off years for certain crops.

I grow an heirloom variety called Minnesota midget that makes a smaller cantaloupe big enough for 2. It sets fruit well and ripens quickly in my shorter mountain summers. It is open pollinated and I save tons of seeds every year and share them around the family and neighbors. I also like that I can grow the vines on the fence.

To my knowledge there are no gmo melons available anywhere.

GMO Seeds......FEAR SELLS !!!!!

GMO-Free or Non-GMO

As I have pointed out several times before, when it comes to seeds for home gardeners, the label of GMO-Free is largely meaningless and sometimes mis-leading. Whether or not you believe the prevailing science that shows that genetically engineered plants are safe for human consumption, you can rest assured that there are currently no genetically engineered seeds or plants available to home gardeners. Not on the seed rack at the box store nor your local garden center. Not in a catalog or online.

Here are two assurances to that statement: A majority of the things that you grow in the home garden don’t have a genetically engineered counterpart. Only 12 genetically engineered crops have been approved in the US, and only 10 of those are currently produced. Most of these are commodity crops that home gardeners would not even produce, such as cotton, sugar beet, canola, and alfalfa. A few more have counterparts that are grown by home gardeners, but are vastly different from those grown by commodity producers (soybeans vs. edamame soy). And some just aren’t that very widespread (there are some GE sweet corn cultivars and squash cultivars, but they aren’t widespread on the market).

So for the most part, there aren’t any “GMO” counterparts to the crops you’d grow in the home garden. They don’t exist.

The other assurance is that genetically engineered crops are not marketed or sold to home gardeners as a matter of business practice or law. In order to purchase genetically engineered seeds or plants, it is current practice in the United States that you must sign an agreement with the company that holds the patent stating that you will not misuse the crop or propagate it (and before we get into the whole intellectual property argument – plant patents and agreements like this have been around since the early 1900s – it isn’t new). So you know that you aren’t buying genetically engineered seeds since you aren’t being asked to sign an agreement. Plus, these companies make their money by selling large quantities of seeds, they just aren’t interested in selling you a packet of lettuce seeds for $2.

So since there aren’t any GMOs available to home gardeners, why do all these seed companies slap that label on their packets? Marketing, my dear! It started off with just a few companies, mainly using the label to compete in a crowded market. And fear sells. The label has spread to more and more companies as this fear and anti-science based marketing ploy has spread…both by companies who jumped on the fear bandwagon and by those who took so much harassment from the followers of the non-GMO crowd or they lost sales to people sold on the non-GMO label that they finally gave in. Unfortunately for some companies, slapping the non-GMO label on a product seems to give them permission to charge more, even if has no real meaning….so buyer beware.

To my knowledge there are no gmo melons available anywhere.
Remember you showing me several non-gmo websites?? I was looking and calling and found out that a shop here in town(!!) only sell non-gmo/heirloom seeds. AND they have watermelon, cantalope and such also. Just bought a 3 year supply of seeds and fertiliser too!!!
Will be happy to buy and send anybody heirloom seeds (watermelons!) if you wish. Gary

I think that sassafras was the original flavor from ROOTBEER?????
That and sarsaparilla. I don't know which was first.
Sassafras has fallen out of favor due to the safrole content which is a liver toxin and carcinogen. You can get safrole free sassafras conentrate, but without the safrole it doesn't taste the same.

I remember when they started monitoring it more. Man, I really did enjoy it.

I remember when people would be bulldozing or backhoeing and they would pull up some root and the entire area would have that wonderful smell. Now I can't taste or smell so it would all be lost on me.

Latest posts

Back