Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is odd. I put the new light on my tomato seeds yesterday and I looked this morning when I turned the light back on and I have seedlings popping up. How can that me. I don't have them covered with plastic, they are just in clear water bottles. I'm impressed.

I have two little greenhouses made of wood with plastic walls, back and roof about the same size as what DirtDiva has. Each has 3 shelves of various heights as to which type of plant will grow there short or taller. I am making a wooden door with plastic cover for the second one as it is open on the front. The petroleum lamps keep the temp up over freezing and are cheaper than electricity for us here. I can also hang an old blanket over them if the sun gets too hot. We got over 40°C last year (over 110°F) and all needs to be shaded for the little ones to survive.
Just bought a 30 ft. long roll of chicken wire with 7 X 5ft. poles to fence off the garden in back from the front 2/3 of our yard so we can get chickens to run around the garden but not in the rest of the yard...they will have a 30 inch wide path behind the henhouse towards the garden where they can scratch all day before we put them in for the night.

ICE AGE FARMER

My #1 favorite soil amendment: Lactobacillus ! LAB can also be used as a pro-biotic supplement, to naturally clear drain pipes, to control odor with deep bedding of your birds / livestock, and about 8 gazillion other uses. It’s an army of friendlies waiting for you to use them! Check it out:

Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) “Recipe”:

- 1L Rice Wash (just let rice sit in water for a bit, up to a day, then strain it out — the water now is full of carbs for the bacilli to eat!)

- 10L of milk (or scale both back) — Raw milk is great! Store milk works just fine. We just want the bacteria!

Mix the two together, leave room at top for some bubbling, cover with mesh or muslin or even a paper towel. Give it 3-6+ days depending on temperature, no direct sunlight. When it smells sweet and has separated out, it’s ready! Then just strain out the liquid from the curds (which can also be used to make cheese), and you have your LAB aka EM1!

It only takes a teaspoon or two per gallon of water (~ 1:20 if you require quantitative, but who’s counting) to be a potent addition when watering, or with your compost tea.

https://t.me/iceagefarmer/2590
Has anyone heard of this? It states that it helps your ability to absorb nutrients while increasing Disease Resistance.

Bought some new seeds to day. I love the little store that sells by the scoop.

Started on the upper strawberry bed. The weeds we so bad that I pulled some, but finally just tilled the entire thing under. It actually did pretty good. I could just walk by and pick up the plant to put in a box and continue.

The chickens came in through the gate so I decided to let them scratch and eat some grubs. I needed to rest so maybe they will have everything all nice and level with zero weeds when I go back. Yeah right.

Bought some new seeds to day. I love the little store that sells by the scoop.

Started on the upper strawberry bed. The weeds we so bad that I pulled some, but finally just tilled the entire thing under. It actually did pretty good. I could just walk by and pick up the plant to put in a box and continue.

The chickens came in through the gate so I decided to let them scratch and eat some grubs. I needed to rest so maybe they will have everything all nice and level with zero weeds when I go back. Yeah right.

Robin tilling can be problematic if your weeds are the type that run by rhizome underground. When you till you chop those rhizomes into hundreds of little pieces. Each one of those little pieces makes a NEW plant. Therefore instead of hundreds you now have thousands of new weeds. I personally on those kind of weeds try to smother the weeds (with newspaper/cardboard/tin etc..) instead by depriving them of sunlight OR Burn them out by placing clear plastic over then when it is hot and letting the soil below get really hot solarizing and thus killing the weeds and seeds below. Just a thought.

Robin tilling can be problematic if your weeds are the type that run by rhizome underground. When you till you chop those rhizomes into hundreds of little pieces. Each one of those little pieces makes a NEW plant. Therefore instead of hundreds you now have thousands of new weeds. I personally on those kind of weeds try to smother the weeds (with newspaper/cardboard/tin etc..) instead by depriving them of sunlight OR Burn them out by placing clear plastic over then when it is hot and letting the soil below get really hot solarizing and thus killing the weeds and seeds below. Just a thought.
Most of my problem is a plant called Mulberry Weed. Had never heard of them until. 2 years ago. They can reproduce up to 3 or 4 times per season. Thesee must have ridden in in a bale of straw.

I use newspapers to mulch, but I want the strawberries to have a place for the runners.

And yes, one of my other problems is clover. Man those things can run forever. I planted the clover for the bees, but the rain washed the seeds into the strawberry garden,

I did not realize how out of shape I have become over the Winter. I believe age has something to do with it also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my problem is a plant called Mulberry Weed. Had never heard of them until. 2 years ago. They can reproduce up to 3 or 4 times per season. Thesee must have ridden in in a bale of straw.

I use newspapers to mulch, but I want the strawberries to have a place for the runners.

And yes, one of my other problems is clover. Man those things can run forever. I planted the clover for the bees, but the rain washed the seeds into the strawberry garden,

I did not realize how out of shape I have become over the Winter. I believe age has something to do with it also.

I do yoga and weight lift to help stay in shape when not gardening. That way you don't feel like you have been hit by a train every spring.

Mulberry weed ( Fatoua Villosa ) is a tough one and I am guessing you are trying to do it without spraying. I will admit while I try to keep herbicides to a minimum on my property there are times when spraying vs. fighting something for years then spraying just wins out for me. I garden to produce food and I spray only when absolutely necessary and get back to the objective of producing food. Poison Ivy was my weed to fight on this property. I finally just embraced the brush killer and wiped that crap out and moved on. My skin thanked me! Just my own thoughts.

Last edited:
I have dollar weed (pennywort) problem. Correct for sure about tilling the soil just to have these weeds pop up in multitudes. Can anyone vouch as to whether the baking soda or vinegar recommendation to get rid of it actually works? I am thinking of trying both baking soda on one side and the white vinegar on the other to see what happens but something tells me it is a waste of time.

I have dollar weed (pennywort) problem. Correct for sure about tilling the soil just to have these weeds pop up in multitudes. Can anyone vouch as to whether the baking soda or vinegar recommendation to get rid of it actually works? I am thinking of trying both baking soda on one side and the white vinegar on the other to see what happens but something tells me it is a waste of time.

Vinegar Weed Killer Myth
Vinegar Weed Killer Myth - Garden Myth

Why Weeds Grow Back After Using Vinegar To Get Rid of Them
Why Weeds Grow Back After Using Vinegar To Get Rid of Them | Empress of Dirt

Can We Just Quit with the Vinegar-Epsom Salts Weed-Killer Nonsense?

Vinegar Weed Killer Myth
Vinegar Weed Killer Myth - Garden Myth

Why Weeds Grow Back After Using Vinegar To Get Rid of Them
Why Weeds Grow Back After Using Vinegar To Get Rid of Them | Empress of Dirt

My poison ivy laughed at distilled vinegar. My poison ivy laughed at 30% vinegar. My poison ivy laughed at Dawn+salt+30% vinegar.

My poison ivy laughed at distilled vinegar. My poison ivy laughed at 30% vinegar. My poison ivy laughed at Dawn+salt+30% vinegar.

Yeah, I fligured as much...thanks for saving me the trouble..can't think off hand of too many home remedy recommendations that actually work...don't want to put chemicals where I plant food. I'm going to try the cardboard, smothering attempt.. Thanks!

Won't be long before the garden is clear now. We'll start some seeds probably tomorrow inside the house.
20220323_143628.jpg

WASHINGTON STATE

“Biosludge spread on food crops will soon contain dead human tissue as Washington legalizes “human composting”

May 18, 2021

1648221967083.jpeg

This crap after the government is GUILTY of allowing sludge to be put into our garden soil for years now?!! It has finally come ot light that the sludge is KILLING folks with cancer, thyroid disruption, liver problems, birth defects, immunosuppression and more!

Check out what is happening in Maine.

“…Farmers Johanna Davis and Adam Nordell bought Songbird in 2014. By 2021 the young family with their three-year-old son were hitting their stride, Nordell said.

But disaster struck in December. The couple learned the farm’s previous owner had decades earlier used PFAS-tainted sewage sludge, or “biosolids”, as fertilizer on Songbird’s fields. Testing revealed their soil, drinking water, irrigation water, crops, chickens and blood were contaminated with high levels of the toxic chemicals.

The couple quickly recalled products, alerted customers, suspended their operation and have been left deeply fearful for their financial and physical wellbeing…”

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ing-ruin-in-americas-forever-chemicals-crisis

Latest posts

Back