Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up near a town that had an old water powered grist mill. It was over 100 years old at that time. They had a dam on the creek that divered water to the mill. When I was a young boy I'd swim down the channel, dive under the head gate and come up inside the mill. I was fascinated with the water wheel, belts, pullys and wooden gears. I heard that it burned down a few years ago.
Anyway, we plan to plant a small patch of wheat this summer. Just don't know how to process it yet.

Anyway, we plan to plant a small patch of wheat this summer. Just don't know how to process it yet.

Water grist mills are wonderful to visit. I’ve always found them interesting. Would love to put in a small mill. Our springs don’t run fast enough to work though. You’ll have to post pictures if you build one! What type of wheat are you going to grow? I’m considering planting dent corn because of all the gloom and doom being said about shortages for corn and wheat coming.

I ordered seeds and planted a little pot of sweet oats for the cat. My cat loved it. Unfortunately, sweet oats do not spread via root and it don't take long to die. Does anyone know of a grass similar to sweet oats my cat would like that will continue to grow and spread via root?

I have really good luck with green beans, squash and okra. Night shades are harder because of walnut trees. Need more sun where I plant herbs, onions and garlic. I'll work on that in the Spring.

I’m finishing up with the current salad greens, cauliflower and broccoli. The Kale and Romain did great. Arugula and Spinach did pretty well. But I did not get large growth of broccoli or Cauliflower. Wondering what I didn’t do right?

Will be planting cold weather plants for the first time in February. Crossing my fingers that they will grow well. Going to plant more potatoes in big containers too as it gets too hot here in the summer for potatoes to grow well. Really hope these grow!! 🤞

Will be planting cold weather plants for the first time in February.
We are looking at a drop in temps today and the next few days. We had minus 9° C last night. (about 14°F) and they are predicting down to minus 15°C for a few days. Absolute ZERO FAHRENHEIT... Really hope the seeds we planted deeper than usual for onions, garlic, sweetpeas and parsnips all survive...:confused: they should come up in the first few weeks of March at the latest as an early harvest the way we have had warm Feb. days the last few years.

We had a nice 60 degree day today, even let my greens get some sun. But down to 30 this weekend. Will be seeding some late winter/early spring things at the very end of the month.

Latest posts

Back