Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nice and warm today, cutting grass, rototilling, pulling garlic, making nettles/thistle coughsyrup, tillia tea and planting celery and monster tomatos in the place in the garden where we pulled garlic and potatos. Thermometer is hanging on the backside of a grape pole in the shade: Approximately 105°F
1655734996673.jpeg

The temps here have been in the mid 40's to low 50's for awhile now. Its supposed to start warming up in to the 60's to low 70's this week. The orchard and berries are doing good but the garden is a little slow because of the cool weather.
I found a place to order some concord grape plants. I'm going to order 20 plants tomorrow when we go to town. They're pretty expensive at $17 each plus $100 for shipping.

It's winter here right now but I just received an order of seeds from theseedcollection.com.au for spring planting including a few things I've never grown before like chicory and black salsify. I found the red warty thing (pumpkin) pink banana pumpkin, and mangel wurzel there before so it's my favourite seed place. I love to grow things you never see in the shops, especially when you can save the seeds for next year.

Do NOT, and I repeat do not buy plants treated with Neonicotinoids. Bees take the pollen back to the hive and feed it to the brood. This is a number one cause of the colony collapse. Neonicotinoids are mostly banned in Europe! It's important to NOT buy these plants!

A couple weeks ago I ordered propane for our well pump generator, and last Thursday I called in with a reminder. We're down to 5% now, which won't last very long with watering the garden and orchard. I'll call the delivery driver today and see when he plans on making it up here. I think I'll replace the 250 gallon take with a 500 gallon. This generator burns through a lot of propane.
Just out of curiosity I'm going to get a bid on running our pump on solar.

Do NOT, and I repeat do not buy plants treated with Neonicotinoids. Bees take the pollen back to the hive and feed it to the brood. This is a number one cause of the colony collapse. Neonicotinoids are mostly banned in Europe! It's important to NOT buy these plants!
Never heard of the stuff. How do you find out who treats their plants with it?

A couple weeks ago I ordered propane for our well pump generator, and last Thursday I called in with a reminder. We're down to 5% now, which won't last very long with watering the garden and orchard. I'll call the delivery driver today and see when he plans on making it up here. I think I'll replace the 250 gallon take with a 500 gallon. This generator burns through a lot of propane.
My propane tank is 500 gallons and of course they don't fill it past 80% or so.

My elderly neighbor stopped by and was complaining about her saved seeds not germinating. After questioning her I realized she didn't have a clue about seed saving.

I explained how you have to leave the fruit/veggie on the vine until it is almost rotten be for it can be good for seeds.

Wonder how many this happens to? People will be starving soon due to lack of knowledge.

I think the time to do that is if you have to replace the pump. You can go to a DC pump if your well isn’t too deep. That way you can skip the conversion step.

While I agree I think this needs to be expounded on as to where they would encounter it and why . Most people walk into a nursery/florist/grocery and buy commercial plants and the cashier does not know what the seeds or plants are treated with in most cases. They are bought most times from large wholesale commercial nurseries and do not ask for that information. So to avoid this in plants you would have to either grow and produce your own plants or buy from a small local trustworthy nursery that produces their own stock from non treated seeds.

A more common place to run across this chemical is as a seed treatment. Most large seed houses treat corn/wheat/soybean seeds sold at a bulk level to field farmers. We have all seen the corn seeds with the pink powder coating. This more than likely contains it. How to avoid it is buy organic non treated seeds or save your own heirloom seeds continuously.

The other application of some form of this product is as granules used in the veterinarian capacity to treat whipworm in the soil. Whip worms are found in the soil and infect dogs (and humans) from their feces. This product as a granule and is used to treat the soil to kill whipworms especially in areas such as dirt floored kennels and lawns with lots of dogs or dog parks from what I understand.

This product was initially created by Shell and is now owned by Bayer Chemical. ( The new Monsanto!)

Thats the problem. Our well pump is down 625' and is 5 hp.
Probably too far then. I researched it a couple years ago When the pump kept blowing fuses. Fortunately for me it was a loose wire. IDK what my well depth is.
Gasoline vrs propane in my Gen is about a wash, based on a 5 gallon test. I have a second smaller Gen to hardwire to the well pump should I need it. 5k tank gives me some breathing room.

Latest posts

Back