Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hotter than heck here. 101 and humid. I go out for a half an hour, then in for an hour. Got the garden watered last time I was out. Poor weeping squash leaves. Picked a few green beans, the first. Picked a few handfuls of snap peas. Picked a bag of greens for the geese the next time I go out.

PLUMS MAKE GOOD MOONSHINE DUDE.....
. Like I said, I caught with my pants down on this crop.
That’s why I am looking at the persimmon tree. It’s loaded but the birds have gotten most of it in the past.
Upping my game now. 😀

My plum trees and nectrarine are only ones not making progress this year...other than the lone pear tree with 1 pear on it and a very large blueberry bush we normally get tons of blueberries off of...nearly all the berries disappeared this year....my other new pear trees,
Just a couple ideas I do plum liquor. Take the plums and wash them add sugar and rum, brandy, gin and allow the sugar to dissolve. Shake it several times a day until it does. Then allow the concoction to sit in a dark corner for a couple months. Strain the fruit out and then rebottle and allow to age and mellow. I buy decorative decanters and give mine as Christmas gifts sometimes.

Plums also make great wine. I also make plum syrup for pancakes and over ice cream. Think jelly but a bit thinner.

View attachment 16615

Plum brandy.

View attachment 16616

Plum syrup with cinnamon and almond flavoring.

Love! Love! These ideas! ☺️

Just finished tilling the old pig pen and mowed the orchard. I never thought I'd be rototilling in mid June wearing a coat. The wife planted some peppers, onions, flowers and other vegetables. She got word today that her new greenhouse will be delivered this Fall.
We're going down south tomorrow to look for more tomato and hot pepper plants. None of the plants that she started in the house did very well. We can't keep the house warm enough to start seeds.

She got word today that her new greenhouse will be delivered this Fall.

Makes you wonder if it will come at all doesn’t it? My sister has ordered two greenhouses from different places, just to increase her odds of actually getting one! Like you, she really needs one for the cold weather.

Makes you wonder if it will come at all doesn’t it? My sister has ordered two greenhouses from different places, just to increase her odds of actually getting one! Like you, she really needs one for the cold weather.
These greenhouses are custom made by some Mennonites down south of us. They're pretty good about doing what they say they'll do. Our neighbors, a few miles west of us, are getting one too. They'll deliver both at the same time.

Wow, snow in June. Can't imagine, as I sit here sweating like a menopausal mink.
Do mink really go though menopause? I'll have check when I start trapping this Fall. Ya learn something new every day.
By the way, it warmed up to 35 this morning and may hit 50 degs later today.

I was able to work outside from 8:15 until 10:30 then I had to come inside. The house is 80° because the downstairs unit is no providing.

If you remember, 2 weeks ago a man came to fix the ducts under the house that the varmints had chewed or knocked down. I went under and the main break had not been fixed and was still wrapped with the garbage bag and duct tape that I had used as a temporary patch. The crawl space is very cool though.

I never liked this guy's work, but he is a friend of my husband.

Just finished tilling the old pig pen and mowed the orchard. I never thought I'd be rototilling in mid June wearing a coat. The wife planted some peppers, onions, flowers and other vegetables. She got word today that her new greenhouse will be delivered this Fall.
We're going down south tomorrow to look for more tomato and hot pepper plants. None of the plants that she started in the house did very well. We can't keep the house warm enough to start seeds.
I don't use the warmers for my seeds. I just bought the full spectrum grow light bulbs. If tomatoes get leggy, you can bury the entire stem all the way up past the first leaves. You can even turn them long ways in the soil to make a longer root system.

We are over a hundred and hovering at 70% humidity. We work from 5-6 till about 12 and then take a long break till around 4-5 when the sun gets behind the neighbors house and trees a bit. Then we can work till dark or till we get tired. None of the watermelons, parsnips, carrots and only a few of the leeks came out this year so far. We still have enough time to plant again tho. Put some giganto tomato seeds in again which will grow to over 2 lbs each. Put the second row of radishes in today. Normally radishes like cold weather but these can go into the ground up into August. More bell peppers and a second row of tomatos are in too. Hope and water for my and all your plants friends. Gary

I worked outside from 7:40 until 2pm today. Lost one of my cabbage plants overnight. Have no idea why. Spent a few hours cleaning out the chicken house. Sprayed it down and then took a brush with lots of soap to every surface. Cleaned the windows and screens too. Feels really nice to have it cleaned up!

Will be doing the run tomorrow. Lots of shoveling. Oh joy! 😬

I don't use the warmers for my seeds. I just bought the full spectrum grow light bulbs. If tomatoes get leggy, you can bury the entire stem all the way up past the first leaves. You can even turn them long ways in the soil to make a longer root system.
We don't use the warmers either, just grow lights. But its hard to get the house above 60 degs in late winter.

I worked outside from 7:40 until 2pm today. Lost one of my cabbage plants overnight. Have no idea why. Spent a few hours cleaning out the chicken house. Sprayed it down and then took a brush with lots of soap to every surface. Cleaned the windows and screens too. Feels really nice to have it cleaned up!

Will be doing the run tomorrow. Lots of shoveling. Oh joy! 😬
I need to till my run. I have about sand about six singles deep with more where it run during rains. At the back end there are smart weeds everywhere. I always take everything out and deep clean coop, but I have the broody hens so I don't want to move them now.

I have a question. I have some dwarf fruit trees in 50 litre/13 gallon pots. Would it be ok to put strawberry plants in the pots as well? I'm limited on space and the trees were planted about a month ago.

Latest posts

Back