Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So happy! My peas are full of buds…the squash filled with flowers and had a good harvest of onions yesterday! Going to ferment them.

1654344099353.jpeg

We drove to our BOL cabin yesterday for a little garden work. On the way walking to the car, I looked down and saw what looked like a tiny pecan....then 2.......then 3........PECANS! Not the usual ginormous hickory nuts we have falling all around the yard. And beside the pecans I also saw a sprig of pecan tree leaves on the ground as well. The nuts were very small, maybe 1' long (so likely not papershell pecans), but they had that distinctive pecan smell when the green outer coating was scratched, as did the leaves. I looked up to discover that a 30'+ tree I had thought to be just another hickory nut tree (we have 5 around the cabin) was actually a mature pecan tree! We've owned the place for 5 years now and I never saw this tree as different from the hickory nut trees that surround the cabin. IThis one is so tall, you can barely even see the shape of the leaves overhead!

I suspect this it the very first season it has produced nuts. Man, finding this just made my day yesterday. The baby pecan tree on the far side of the property won't be producing for probably 10 more years or more. I may be able to bake my hunny a pecan pie after all when SHTF. He swears he hates all nuts but LOVES pecan pie. Go figure. LOL

It actually felt nippy this morning 56°. I got to the garden at 7:30 and watered and fertilized the 3 gardens.

Later, I decided to prune the squash and zucchini. I have a few baby yellow squash. Found a tomato plant hidden in the potato patch and cleared it out and found some baby tomatoes on the vine. I have so many weeds, I will never catch up, but I always end up pulling weeds.

Now, I am on the couch watching baseball because my back is gone for the day.

Garlic. Has to dig too early so it is small.

View attachment 16467

Don't remember where I initially posted about dehydrating garlic scapes, but here is the much anticipated update.

After putting into the Magic Bullet, I had 1.5 pints of very fluffy powder. I was worried about the fluffiness catching moisture, so I put some himalayan salt in, reblended and it is now back in dehydrator. Thought the salt might take away moisture. My daughter said it tastes wonderful and has a strong garlic taste. We shall see.

Don't remember where I initially posted about dehydrating garlic scapes, but here is the much anticipated update.

After putting into the Magic Bullet, I had 1.5 pints of very fluffy powder. I was worried about the fluffiness catching moisture, so I put some himalayan salt in, reblended and it is now back in dehydrator. Thought the salt might take away moisture. My daughter said it tastes wonderful and has a strong garlic taste. We shall see.

I froze my scapes. They make a great pesto with basil, olive oil, parmesan and roasted walnuts.

When I got up this morning it was 57 degs. Then some clouds moved in, the temp dropped and it started to rain. Still to wet to plant anything.
Yesterday I got all of the grape, raspberry and blackberry trellises braced up. The grapes are starting to bud out, the raspberries, blackberries and fruit trees are all in bloom. It looks like we'll get a good crop this year. Every couple days I have to gas and poison the gophers and voles.

Can you tell me how to do that? I’ve got vibration spikes everywhere, but they won’t last forever.
I buy the gas bombs. They look like mini road flares. Whenever I find a fresh gopher mound, I dig around until I find their tunnel, light the gas bomb and put it in the tunnel. Be sure to cover the hole. I do the same with poison grain. Every feed store should carry both the poison grain and the gas bombs. I've used traps too but they're kind of a pain. I do the same when I find a vole hole. I also use the repeating kind of mouse traps. They catch both voles and mice.
Last winter the voles tunneled under the snow and girdled several fruit trees. This fall I'm going to wrap the trunks in wire mesh.

I put a step ladder with an owl decoy up near the plums, wasn’t working.
I picked a peck basket worth (who uses that term any more) and put in a paper bag with a banana to ripen.
We will see. I have an extreme amount of song birds, woodpeckers, and Jays up here.

I buy the gas bombs. They look like mini road flares. Whenever I find a fresh gopher mound, I dig around until I find their tunnel, light the gas bomb and put it in the tunnel. Be sure to cover the hole. I do the same with poison grain. Every feed store should carry both the poison grain and the gas bombs. I've used traps too but they're kind of a pain. I do the same when I find a vole hole. I also use the repeating kind of mouse traps. They catch both voles and mice.
Last winter the voles tunneled under the snow and girdled several fruit trees. This fall I'm going to wrap the trunks in wire mesh.

Thanks Arctic! I will go find these at the feed store closeby.

I have been in gardens all day and I killed my first Japanese Beetles. Thought it was too early for them, but the hot temps must have brought them out. Only one pair was doing the dance with no pants. Usually that is all you see them doing.

I hate those bugs. Seriously. Haven’t seen any yet. When they come, I spend the early mornings in the vineyard and fruit trees picking them off into water or simply smushing them! LOL

Wonder how many of us spent the morning in the gardens today? I was out there by 6:30. Felt great as it was only 58*. Worked u til 1:30 and gave up.

I was watching a video this a.m. and was wondering if you guys keep your herbs going all winter by propogating in water or rooting in soil.

Considering taking cuttings and putting in water to see if it produces an available start come Spring.

The plan is to let them go to seed too, but catching those little buggars can be tricky. Wind, rain, etc can interfere.

I am trying to become self sufficient and not rely on store bought seeds. I'm good on the large veggies, but herbs are tricky for me.

I just leave mine in the ground, as our winters, generally, aren't that bad. Some survive/come back in the spring (especially parsley and oregano); some freeze on off if we get a hard winter. Then I start new plants from seed mid-march and start all over.

This is a bad pic, but it shows how my KY Wonders are climbing. If you go to the right, you can see the squash is being trellised and pruned. Saw a mature vine borer looking for a stalk, so I killed it. The stalks are wrapped with newspapers at the soil line. Newspapers line the paths.
20220608_160646.jpg

I just leave mine in the ground, as our winters, generally, aren't that bad. Some survive/come back in the spring (especially parsley and oregano); some freeze on off if we get a hard winter. Then I start new plants from seed mid-march and start all over.

I do same...

Latest posts

Back