Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It hit 72 degs today! After weeks in the 40's and 50's it feels hot. Got my brush mower out and got about half of the back and side yard mowed. I'll split this area up in sections and mow a little everyday.
Since we have bee hives now I dont want to use herbicides around the place. So I gave the new battery powered trimmer a good work out around the barn, corral and the garden fence. Also trimmed around the grapes, raspberries, blackberries and fruit trees.
Since its so hot out the wife is wearing almost nothing but a big hat.

I know that I sweat a lot. I worked in gardens carrying 5 gallon buckets of sand and it was very tiring.

It was too hot to eat. I cooked, but didnt eat much at all. All of my greens are gone, but a salad would have been nice.

My Stevia is blooming so it will be gone soon. I think I will dry some.

I have put more into my gardens this year than before.with trhe heat, lack of water and something eating the bottom leaves of my beans, it is bad. Japanese Beetle work on the top leaves, but this damage is on the very bottom next to soil. I put down lime, sand, DE, potting soil to try to get rid of them, but it didnt help.

I went through and replanted in the bare spots hoping to get some beans. Beans are always my best producer. The bugs (?) arent on the squash, cukes, tomatoes or okra.

On the verge of getting a pesticide, but really dont want to because of the few bees I have left.

I have put more into my gardens this year than before.with trhe heat, lack of water and something eating the bottom leaves of my beans, it is bad. Japanese Beetle work on the top leaves, but this damage is on the very bottom next to soil. I put down lime, sand, DE, potting soil to try to get rid of them, but it didnt help.

I went through and replanted in the bare spots hoping to get some beans. Beans are always my best producer. The bugs (?) arent on the squash, cukes, tomatoes or okra.

On the verge of getting a pesticide, but really dont want to because of the few bees I have left.
Seems to be the Bean Leaf Beetle.

It hit 70 degs today. Grilled one of our chickens for lunch. Opened up a new pasture for the cows, grass up to their bellys. Found a place where the forest service chipped some trees last year. Took the tractor down and loaded up a trailer with the chips for the garden.
We have a couple flat-landers camped out by our lower gate for the weekend, almost ran over one of their dam dogs. I dont get it, I dont camp out in their backyard.

High temp today was 66 degs. No chance of rain for the foreseeable future.
The grapes, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are all putting on fruit. We have big problems here with mice, volves and chipmunks eating the berry's and grapes, plus everything else. I use poison grain, which helps a lot, but its not enough. So tonight I made a water trap out of a 5 gallon bucket, baited with peanut butter. Hope to see some floaters in the morning.

My wagon broke, but I did always do that. I'm looking for a cool, 4 wheel utility cart/wagon. No wheelbarrow.
Robin you should try the wheelbarrows with 2 wheels i the front. I like them much better. I also have a garden cart and a little red wagon lol.

But what I use the most is a utility sled. I stole ( lovingly confiscated) mine when we lived up north from my husband. He used it to pull dead deer in the snow. I can pull it easily along in the grass along my garden beds and as I weed or pick I simply throw it over in the sled. When done I can pull it to the compost or chicken yard and dump and then I hang them on the fence till next time. Great for hauling small amounts of dirt and in the winter I use it for firewood. Mine came from Cabela's I think but lots of places carry them.

117b6207-d0f8-4d4d-84c4-f838d4cf0864_1.2d0b9837ac3c25ddb1dd86a9cf95e4b7.jpeg

I had 2 little red wagons and both finally gave it up. I do not like the Rubbermaid grey utility wagon with the two big wheels . My husband got that for me years ago so I kept my mouth shut. It turns over way too easily.

I want the 4 wheel pull cart. I use mine mostly b getting big bads of feed from car to house. I have to go over gravel and big rocks to get to the back door.

Latest posts

Back