Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually saw an episode of ER where a patient had a 55 gallon drum of worms in her truck so the staff had to help. Short story, some of the worms died and the owner said that the bucket was worth six figures.

Every rock I overturn has worms. I may try a small bucket full. Chicken poop and bedding, dried leaves, weeds. I'll make drain holes and secure netting over the top.

New project for my son.

Every rock I overturn has worms.
Any time it rains here at night, you cannot even walk around the garden without a flashlight and watching every step because of so many thousands of worms, some as thick as you little finger and 12 inches long. Great bait and the birds swoop in each time I water and the worms start coming up...

I think I'll start me a worm bed down at the cabin. I see lots of worms in our soil when I dig to plant a new tree and I'm planting out 8 of them next week. I'll just start collecting the worms I collect. Don't know why I haven't thought to do that before now. I do have a regular compost pile going though, with dead twigs, hay, leaves, coffee grounds, cardboard. I need to remember to turn that when I'm down next week. Will help my raised bed garden when the time comes. I'm doing 5 gallon grow bag gardening here in the city also. :)

Transplanted various varieties of tomatoes to the container garden. I tented all of them to protect from the sun, but now the wind has started blowing. Always something.

We have spent all weekend in the garden. Got the mowing done, turned compost piles, picked asparagus, planted some more romaine lettuce and spinach for baby spinach salads. Loving this beautiful weather. My beach plums, blueberries and June berries ( Serviceberry ) are blooming and the bees are everywhere.

Next week planning on taking the kayaks out and fishing for some shell crackers. They should be running by now. Hoping for a couple nice catches for the freezers.

I got a container, drilled holes and found an old bucket of dirt to put in. Started digging and realized I already have a worm farm started. Every scoop of soIL has four or five worms. It's a start.

I have tons of worms in every shovel here in the city, but fewer at our BOL, probably because the soil is sandy loam there and I think worms prefer denser, with some clay to hold moisture. Little clay content there. But at leat there are SOME.

I'll check them out. Watched a video on Youtube that showed how to make a homemade one out of an 18 gallon Rubbermaid tub with holes drilled in the top, sides and bottom sitting inside another lid or tray. Showed how to set it up, feed them, how often and how/when to harvest the castings. He recommended 'Red Wigglers' from these folks: Home. I'll probably just collect worms down at the cabin. There's enough to get started I think. I'm planting 10 shrubs and trees down there this week so I'll be doing a lot of digging. ;)

Last edited:
We are leaving towards Germany for a week of doctor appts. We are taking 4 time 6 packs of 6 liters of sunflower oil with us for the whole family there. Got the garden mowed, trimmed the fenceline, gave the neighbors the garden keys so they can water while we are gone. All the tulips came out and really gave the whole garden some color. The grapes are budding, the apple tree and cherry trees are budding and we even have bees on them this year.

tulips.JPG
sidewalk.JPG

Been growing my herbs in the greenhouse, but now with the need to expand food production I’m going to plant the herbs out under the fruit trees. I’ve read about it in Permaculture articles. Has anyone done this or have information on it?

These are the herbs I’m currently considering…

Basil
Oregano
Rosemary
Chives
Sage
Lavender
Dill
Thyme
Lemon Balm

Would any of these return next year without replanting If I protected them sufficiently during winter? I am in zone 7a.

I personally know nothing about the last 4 herbs on your list, @GeorgiaPeachie but the ones above will with modest protection (bucket or tarp) in the modest winters Georgia has. My rosemary of several years froze off at the cabin, I noticed yesterday and our winter wasn't as harsh as the winter before. Surprised me though, so I'll have to start a new rosemary there now. Basil plants usually die off in a freeze, but readily reseed. If you'll sprinkle the seed pods on the ground around them as they form, new plants come back the next spring off those seeds, and VERY thick I might add. My Dad did this with curly parsley also and kept a 'hedge' of it along the back of his house. Said he just sprinkled seeds on the ground periodically to maintain a constant hedge for Mom to cut as needed cooking. Oregano top growth dies off but it always comes back off roots. If not after a 100-year freeze like Feb 2021, I found it easy to germinate anew from seeds direct sown this year in March Here's my pot I seeded new this year:
Oregano.JPG

Global warming my arse. Its 33 degs and has been snowing hard all day. Got about 6" on the ground right now. It looks like November outside.
The wife planted some pepper seeds in the laundry room last night; scorpion pepper and Carolina reaper.
Yesterday I cleaned out the small corral by the barn and have about a large truck load of manure mixed with top soil. We'll put some of it in the raised beds, around the fruit trees, berry and grape plants. The rest will be tilled in the garden. We picked up several hundred feet of weed barrier to put down between the raised beds and between the rows in the garden to help with weed control.
I have the pig pen pretty much dismantled now. I'll take the tractor up, when it dries out, and scrape out the old pig manure and spread it around the garden too.
We also ordered 2 more packages of bees. That will give us 4 hives total.

I personally know nothing about the last 4 herbs on your list, @GeorgiaPeachie but the ones above will with modest protection (bucket or tarp) in the modest winters Georgia has. My rosemary of several years froze off at the cabin, I noticed yesterday and our winter wasn't as harsh as the winter before. Surprised me though, so I'll have to start a new rosemary there now. Basil plants usually die off in a freeze, but readily reseed. If you'll sprinkle the seed pods on the ground around them as they form, new plants come back the next spring off those seeds, and VERY thick I might add. My Dad did this with curly parsley also and kept a 'hedge' of it along the back of his house. Said he just sprinkled seeds on the ground periodically to maintain a constant hedge for Mom to cut as needed cooking. Oregano top growth dies off but it always comes back off roots. If not after a 100-year freeze like Feb 2021, I found it easy to germinate anew from seeds direct sown this year in March Here's my pot I seeded new this year: View attachment 16108

Really helpful information Buttoni! And lovely pot of oregano!

Thank you Georgia. All my herbs from seed have done as well for me this season. I usually have such rotton luck with seeds, too. But this year the gods must know I really need to get good at this gardening stuff. It's a matter of life and death now. I've laid in seeding trays, veggie and all-purpose fertilizers, row covers and tons of seeds. That last one is important, because I read a few weeks back on Censored News (forget which website) that Bill Gates was buying out all the seed companies as fast as he could. Man, they really don't want us to be able to have ANY food, do they?

Last edited:
That last one is important, because I read a few weeks back on Censored News (forget which website) that Bill Gates was buying out all the seed companies as fast as he could. Man, they really don't want us to be able to have ANY food, do they?

OMG! I did not hear that Gates was trying to buy all the seeds! Well, back to the Farmer’s Co-op for me. I have 8 plastic shoe boxes…but am going to buy a lot more for family, friends and neighbors. Can’t have a clear conscious with denying some neighbors food unless I offer them seeds.

Had to spray the orchard and vineyard today so I spent some time taking inventory of how many bottles I have of needed sprays. Will be adding to my stash. You made me remember I need to get more fertilizer. Have enough for this year, and maybe enough for next..I realize we will all be switching to using only animal poo at some point. But like you, I am still working on my gardening skills and need all the help I can get!

Last edited:
Girl, be careful with overhead spraying of fruit trees. My Dad, who had probably 12 of them, sprayed them for the 12 years they lived in Texarkana before retiring to Air Force Village in San Antonio. He started having heart racing, excruciating headaches, blood pressure shot up, siezures in the middle of the night (never happened in the daytime!), leg jerking and Mom had to ruch him to the hospital at Carswell AFB in Shreveport, the nearest military hospital to his home.

By the time he'd get there 1½ hours away, all symptoms would have subsided or gone away! So they'd run a couple tests and send him home. It got to where it was happening about every 2 weeeks! Well, one time it happened when I was visiting and it was so scary to me, Georgia, (Dad VERY seldom got sick) I suggested we drive all the way to San Antonio to the big Military Medical Center at Lackland AFB for a second opinion. They's already gone to Carswell 2-3 times with it to no avail. So on the way down to S.A. I got to thinking about the fact that it just HAD to be something he was doing or exposed to in the daytime that would hit him in the middle of the night ONLY. I said to Mom "I remember Daddy spraying the fruit trees this afternoon. Do you think the sprays could be fallling back down on him and he's breathing too much in?

I had JUST, a month earlier watched a TV program on a Houston channel about rural pesticide poisoning (Dad's symptoms WERE indeed similar to the many stories they told) As we anticipated, S.A. ran a couple more tests and some unusual substances were detected in the blood tests that concerned the doctor. At that juncture, I asked the doctor if using common garden sprays could cause these symptoms. Dad had a 2 acre garden and a dozen fruit trees. BINGO! He said it might just be the culprit! Asked me to get the specific names & ingredients for ALL of them Dad used via email when we got back home. Carefully typed them out and emailed him back when I got home. He confirmed in his reply "acute pesticide poisoning". No treatment is available for it other than pain relief for the headaches and anti siezure meds for that. Told Dad you just have to 'ride it out' while it leaves your systsem. It will slowly leave. It took about 3 months for it to finally stopped and then he wasn't bothered with it again.

To this day, I rarely use garden sprays and will NEVER use them overhead at our BOL. It was sifting back on his skin and face as he looked up into the trees and of course, one would breathe it in if it was thick enough in ithe air underneath the trees. And Daddy was always a very thorough sprayer, so he may have OVER used the products unknowingly.

For my BOL trees, I'll protect with bird netting, and with sheets for the occasional freeze warnings, but if my trees get worms or disease, I guess I just won't get much fruit those years, because I don't ever to go through what he went through.

On the fertilizer front, we will have access to chicken poo eventually, when we put a few hens in the coop that's on the place already. My husband is warming up to the idea now because he loves eggs and for bartering. Have all the cow manure I need since we lease pasture to a farmer with 12 cows. Save it down by the barn, aging as I type. Our lease fellow just butchered his very first cow for his own consumption and gave us a few packages of meat yesterday to try while we were there. I've had grass-fed beef many a time, but a local source would be so nice when SHTF. Going to try to strike up that deal next time our paths cross down there. Said he was planning to do one cow a year for him and his son. A coincidence, he processed with a small nearby butcher in Westphalia who is the brother of our best man! Small world! All goodness ahead, in moer ways than one for us.

Back