Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having real good luck the last couple years slicing storebought Roma tomatoes and just planting slices direct in soil (both in pots and in-ground). I average 3-7 seedlings off a couple slices in no time! Then I do the usual, remove lowest leaves, hill 'em around the main trunk 1/2 way up or more so they'll grow more roots and be sturdier plants. Got 4 such plants growing here at my city place right now in 5 gal. pots. They're 2-3'' tall setting fruit (or about to) since planting those slices late March. Just hilled them up for the last time yesterday, in fact.

One indeterminate Roma planted last season at the cabin property, with only Mother Nature's water (which is damn little in Central TX growing season) made it all the way though to first frost last year. It and it's stake had fallen over to ground, leaves dying off, but the thing still had a few ripe tomatoes on it in November! The soil there is poor, sandy loam, so that encourages me it will still produce food when SHTF. :)

Once we bug out (sometime in next couple weeks) and this current looming event becomes protracted, (all stock-piled seeds are exhausted), I imagine growing tomatoes off tomato slices I grew myself will be my only option. Harvesting seeds off what you grow will be an absolute NECESSITY.

Last edited:
No, but we decided we really don't WANT a connection down there after all. I figure that's just one more way 'they' can track where we are (by our ISP giving them exact IP address/metadata). I'm always amazed criminals are dumb enough to communicate over the net OR their cell phones. Might as well broadcast: "HERE I AM".

I do lay them sideways and just keep the top leaves exposed. Makes for a long root system.

that's what I expected - I asked because there's toooo many newbies out there that don't know the difference(s) between planting tomatoes and the other potted veggies - they are a different animal to grow correctly ....

High was 81 yesterday and expecting the same today. Planted more okra, cucumbers, and squash both yellow and butternut. Been putting compost and mulch down around fruit trees to conserve moisture. Still thinning peaches as they have put on way too many. One peach every 6 inches is what I like to get down to. Will lose some in June drop which is normal. Looks like I will have beach plums for the first time this year and Juneberries/Serviceberries. Disappointed that my pear trees did not set fruit but they are still really young, Maybe next year. Noticed my first figs of the year yesterday as well. Laying more compost and mulch today and keeping ahead of weeds thus far. Still picking asparagus every day.

I still have everything going well in the garden, except that we need to thin out the 500 sunflower plants down to about 35-40 so we can still have space for the sweet corn and the dill to grow. I will have to cut them down in late fall before another thousand seeds fall down like last year. Only planted 25, but the birds pecked out and dropped way too many seeds and now I need to thin out. The walnut tree will not go in here, we decided to give it to a neighbor and he is happy with it.

I still genozide snails...

Tomatoes and pumpkins comin´ good, potatoes and salads too. The zucchini are fighting snails, but growing. The peas are standing much better than last year thanks to the stingingnettle manure. The next few day´s I´m going to set the beans out.

The quince is in full blossom. Looks great.

Late spring is a beautiful time in the gardens!

100_7564.JPG

100_7572.JPG

100_7569.JPG

100_7585.JPG

Latest posts

Back