Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a week ago , I bought several rolls of roofing felt " tarpaper " to be prepared to cover my garden when the ground begins to tremble from Nuclear impacts . My garden is framed in two foot wide rows and the roofing felt is 3 foot wide . That is likely one of the first things I will do when the war starts in order to protect my garden soil from radiation .

As cold moves in gardeners may want to evaluate their situation as to growing cool weather plants for the nuclear winter that may be our gardening scenario next spring . Cold tolerant plant seeds and row covers comes to mind . Some may have , or want to consider a green house .Trying to get what you may need " after " the nuking will likely be futile .

My neighbor is coming with his big log splitter to get the oak tree. My manual splitter can not handle the 20" logs.
I have a natural gas furnace that I use during the coldest part of the winter as it is more efficient most years. I always have wood that I burn during the fall and late spring usually mostly at night and early morning to simply keep the chill off the house. We would also use the wood as a heat source during electrical outages. We also have several indoor propane heaters for emergencies that truthfully we rarely use. I think we have used them once. they mostly are used in deer stands and outbuildings occasionally. On the flip side my house is small, very well insulated with excellent efficient windows and doors. I also have window quilts that help insulate and also serve as blackout shades in emergencies. We also have a full house generator and solar on a couple sheds.

LOL

My neighbor is coming with his big log splitter to get the oak tree. My manual splitter can not handle the 20" logs.
LOL
I had to have a 30" oak tree taken down in the side yard that was in too precarious of a position for me to try it myself. I thought the tree was dying but when they got down closer to the ground it was solid and healthy and beautiful red oak.
So I told them to leave the bottom section where it lay and I would take care of it and try to make something of it. I can't tell you how happy they were, LOL.
After many days work with wedges, I manged to split it in half. Then I covered it all up with a tarp until I felt like going at it again.

And there it still sits under the tarp.

I helped my neighbor to stack his firewood for this winter today. He has been cutting down trees and then cutting them into short pieces which fit into his little kitchen wood stove. From the height and width of the stack, I would guesstimate that it was about 6 tons.
The locals are having trouble finding firewood this year and the price has also doubled this year...
As the truck dropped off the wood, several came out and asked him where in the world he got so much good acacia firewood at this time of year...his answer was simple and shut their mouths...
"I have been chopping and cutting all summer and only now have brought it home....just like a little squirrel who works all year hiding his acorns for winter!"
The looks on their faces and the silence was priceless....

LOL

LOL
I had to have a 30" oak tree taken down in the side yard that was in too precarious of a position for me to try it myself. I thought the tree was dying but when they got down closer to the ground it was solid and healthy and beautiful red oak.
So I told them to leave the bottom section where it lay and I would take care of it and try to make something of it. I can't tell you how happy they were, LOL.
After many days work with wedges, I manged to split it in half. Then I covered it all up with a tarp until I felt like going at it again.

And there it still sits under the tarp.
Yep, mine was brought down over a year ago, finally got it cut into pieces and now waiting to split. It has been a long process.

Latest posts

Back