Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted garlic and it took forever because I had lots of help digging from Leon.
Sounds familiar. Jake and Tracker are in the fur shed "helping" me. Tracker has been bringing me every dried fur in the place. Jake keeps the floor cleaned up of scrape pieces of fat and meat from fleshing. Eventually they'll lay down by the wood stove and I can get something done.

Im curious. How much garlic did everyone plant? I use a lot of garlic, but normally buy it. Getting anxious that I didn’t plant enough.

Isnt that the truth Robin?! Because they are so repetitive I limit my viewings to tips and tricks on certain plants. Those offer more advice I don’t know. The best advice and tips I’ve gotten these past several years has been from folks on here! You, Dirt Diva, Dani and Amish come to mind.

I've been experimenting with the sprout in water trick, starting garlic, Onion, cabbage, carrots from sprouts in water in my kitchen window from the scraps (ends) after I use them, the garlic, I throw a few individual cloves in water, when they start shooting the sprouts out, I've put them in soil in pots outside. So far they are doing good. I've only got several going as test and I've only tried one cabbage so far that way but as of now, it's doing great. I'm putting another handful of garlic in some water today to sprout. I hope it's not a waste in the end. Not large quantity but I figure over time, keep adding as I use instead of tossing in compost. I am going to plant more stuff for greenhouse but thought if this works its a cheap, quick way to regrow. I've read flavor may not be as full by doing this but would like to hear any feedback from you guys whether this is worth it or not to do. I'm just a happy to throw the scraps in freezer for stock if this turns out to be a waste.

I wish I had the help to have a big garden. No one here wants to garden, except me. Since I have to much to do, no vegetable garden. I have everything needed for a big garden, except the labor.
Sometimes I wish I had some extra help around here. Our garden suffered this year because the wife broke her leg, ankle and foot and couldn't do much. She's still gimping around on it.

How big of gardens are some of you talking about? My garden is about 30 feet deep and 50 feet wide, so I guess around 1500 sq. ft.
Is that small or large compared to some of your gardens?

Mine is only 60 x 20. That does not count the small 12 tree orchard, berry vines, vineyard, hazelnut trees, lemon and orange trees, herbs that are planted around the fruit trees, or greenhouse. I have to take care of the chickens and the rabbits too. My husband does carry and move the heavy stuff for me. That helps a lot! He helps with the regular clean out of the chicken house and run too. He mulches everything in the fall and spring...which is a lot of work, as we can’t have mulch delivered to the house. It is delivered on the road outside our driveway and has to be shoveled and taken to the areas where needed.

All together I plant anywhere from half to quarter of an acre in raised beds and other inground beds, in containers around my property and under fruit trees. Some years I plant more crops than others. It depends on what I have in storage and what I already have in jars, freezers and buckets. If a certain crop excels one year and I have a bumper crop I may skip it the next year and concentrate on something that did not. This can help with pests also. For instance I used to be ate up with squash bugs. I changed tactics and planted less and not all in one location but scattered around the property. I used hubbard squash in pots to lure vine borers and then when present I put the pot and pests in plastic garbage bags and treated with pesticide then disposed of it all off site once the bugs are dead. No pesticides in my gardens then. I also skip some years on things like yellow squash and zucchini. That way if they do hatch out they have no preferred target crop. Same thing with potato beetles. I have not had a squash bug on the property in 2 years and a potato bug in 3. I use purple hull peas planted at the far back fence to lure stink bugs and aphids away from my tomatoes with no stink bug damage at all this year. How much and what I plant is also determined by what seeds I am running short of and need to replenish my supply of.

I'd like garden help, too. Have a huge inground garden that is done for now except for some kale. One smallish greenhouse, and a new 25 ft by 20 ft greenhouse that the plastic just ripped on from a windstorm. So yesterday was: should I start making the growboxes inside of it? Or repair the plastic? Hoping for help from a cousin on the pitch of the roof of it, heights are not my friend. I made a large grow box yesterday. I should start on the plastic today. Gardens are what they are, if you don't have help.

We have about 100 mature paper shell pecan trees (our main crop). About an acre of summer gardens, a 20x10 green house, 3x4 (2) in ground green houses, a 6x10 green house and 9 fruit trees at BOL1. We also have a lot of naturally occurring edibles like Agarita, prickly pear, grapes. Mexican Plum and persimmons.
BOL2 is still in development but have about 8 fruit trees, 8 muscadine grape vines, 6 blueberry bushes and two of the smaller green houses there so far. Dill and dewberries (a type of black berry) is everywhere along with a lot of nut trees, pine nuts, elderberries, passion fruits, beautyberries...

We also have about an acre and a half at BOL1 that we use as a fenced paddock close to the house for the horses that need extra feed. They have churned it up with time and mixed in manure, hay and leaves over the years so it is decent (for this area) soil.

In a pinch, I could move the horses to another paddock or pasture and quickly throw some plants/wheat on it to grow. The horse shelter in the picture could be converted to another green house and the 150x300 riding arena (sandy loam) could be converted into grow space easily as well.

IMG_20221029_100849.jpg

And I am grateful for the help I do have.

Last edited:
I use purple hull peas planted at the far back fence to lure stink bugs and aphids away from my tomatoes with no stink bug damage at all this year.
We lost about half of our tomatos to stink bug damage. Did not know that about the purple hull peas, I'll try to get some from the local heirloom saleslady....

Latest posts

Back