rural people shooting

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right about Columbus. Even though it's the second largest city in Georgia, (due to adjoining Fort Benning) it really doesn't feel like a city. More like an overgrown country town.

But I didn't always live here. I grew up and have lived in real cities...is Atlanta big enough for you? :)

There are many major cities across the country that feel more like larger rural towns than actual cities to me. Hell there are even a few Chicagoland suburbs that have that small town feel. America is a vast and beautiful place.

One reason I don't sound like a city dude is that I spent a lot of time hunting on a family farm in the Mississippi Delta.

Toexist, let's see how much you know about Chicago. I wonder if you can tell me, without looking it up :), what the connection is between Chicago and the Mississippi Delta.

One reason I don't sound like a city dude is that I spent a lot of time hunting on a family farm in the Mississippi Delta.

Toexist, let's see how much you know about Chicago. I wonder if you can tell me, without looking it up :), what the connection is between Chicago and the Mississippi Delta.

I'm not going to pretend to know that. I'm sure your going to tell though.

Well, the physical connection is the Illinois Central Railroad. And because of that railroad, which has lines going through the heart of the Mississippi Delta, there was an easy way to get to Chicago from the Delta. With agriculture the primary industry in the Delta, when the farms became mechanized people hopped a train to Chicago to find work - by the thousands. And when the work dried up during hard times in Chicago, they came back home to the Delta. There are a lot of families in the Delta with relatives in Chicago, and vice versa.

Chicago Blues started when blues musicians from the Delta went looking for bigger audiences, first in Memphis, and then in Chicago.

http://www.msbluestrail.org/blues-trail-markers/chicago

Remember the song "City of New Orleans"? Folk song by Steve Goodman but popularized by Arlo Guthrie and Willie Nelson about an Illinois Central train?

Good morning America how are you?
Don't you know me I'm your native son,
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.

It runs from New Orleans to Jackson, Memphis, and Chicago. The current route is through the Mississippi Delta (the section between Yazoo City and Memphis) I have ridden the City of New Orleans, to New Orleans, twice. My son lives in Memphis, and I have talked about taking The City of New Orleans to Chicago from Memphis, but haven't yet.

Amtrak_City_of_New_Orleans.png

Well, the physical connection is the Illinois Central Railroad. And because of that railroad, which has lines going through the heart of the Mississippi Delta, there was an easy way to get to Chicago from the Delta. With agriculture the primary industry in the Delta, when the farms became mechanized people hopped a train to Chicago to find work - by the thousands. And when the work dried up during hard times in Chicago, they came back home to the Delta. There are a lot of families in the Delta with relatives in Chicago, and vice versa.

Chicago Blues started when blues musicians from the Delta went looking for bigger audiences, first in Memphis, and then in Chicago.

http://www.msbluestrail.org/blues-trail-markers/chicago

Remember the song "City of New Orleans"? Folk song by Steve Goodman but popularized by Arlo Guthrie and Willie Nelson about an Illinois Central train?

Good morning America how are you?
Don't you know me I'm your native son,
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.

It runs from New Orleans to Jackson, Memphis, and Chicago. The current route is through the Mississippi Delta (the section between Yazoo City and Memphis) I have ridden the City of New Orleans, to New Orleans, twice. My son lives in Memphis, and I have talked about taking The City of New Orleans to Chicago from Memphis, but haven't yet.

Amtrak_City_of_New_Orleans.png

7.jpg

Learn something every day. Appreciate you passing the knowledge. Not really related but friends of mine are planning trip through Going Through the Sun Rd in Montana. I just might join them.

Latest posts

Back