Prepping for the possibility of war

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighborhood is in what i grew up calling Indian Sounding Hills. The Iroquois used the as defense.
I can perfectly hear people walking down the trail a quarter mile away. People at the houses 1/2 and 3/4 miles away.
Gunshots bounce around, so direction is difficult. I usually can tell which neighbor is shooting by the decibel level.

We can’t change the possibility of war, but we can prepare for it.
Most likely we'll see Cyber, EMP, and possibly Nuclear - all would include power outages.
It's a good bet that any power disruption could require weeks of supplies, but it could be months or longer.
There COULD be radiation, so better to consider that possibility.

Here’s a minorly updated draft of a prep list
for those both in cities and rural who may have done nothing yet to prepare for the possibility of a war with Russia.
Experienced preppers jump in and repost with additions, subtractions, re-ordering, or sub-divisions by location etc.
I know it’s a stretch to go back and think of starting with nothing when you already have stuff in place!
Maybe we’ll come up with something decent?!

ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
#1 Security - Control access to your windows and doors (and property if possible)
- Your weapon of choice for protection
#2 Water - Not distilled (you will quickly deplete your body of minerals) Minimum of 4 weeks worth
#3 Food - Canned, wrapped, and dried, enough for 2 to 4 weeks (most unprepared will die by then)
#4 Go Bag with passport, money, food, water, weapon - anything you may need if you have to leave your shelter quickly. Something to barter with. Any medications that you may need - several months supply worth

REALLY GOOD TO HAVE
  • Survival Skill Manual(s)
  • Plastic sheeting to cover windows and doors for Fall Out protection
  • Potassium Iodide Pills in case of radiation exposure (Put in your Go Bag.)
  • Radio with solar, crank, and standard, replaceable, rechargeable batteries.USB charge port.
  • Disposable poncho (to remove later if you for some reason are outside during fallout)
    (You’re probably a-goner anyway)
  • Disposable wipes and a container for contaminated clothing, poncho, and wipes
  • A portable toilet preferably on a “Lowes” 5 gallon pail that can be emptied somewhere else. Lots of toilet paper!
  • A high quality respirator for each member (if possible)
  • A real time dosimeter (if possible)
  • Batteries for LED Flashlights and radio et cetera
  • If it's cold, some way to keep warm, lots of blankets and extra clothes
  • If it's hot, hand fans because there may not be electricity but make sure you have at least one electric fan in case there is electricity!!
  • Garbage Bags (Lots!)
  • Water Purification Tablets
  • Small Cooking Stove (camping) and Fuel for a month of cooking
If you’re in charge of several people, develop procedures/rules for different scenarios:
  • Intruders
  • Invited Guests
  • Kicking someone out
  • When and how much food/water per day
  • Food Running Low
    NICE TO HAVE IF POSSIBLE
  • Typar (Tyvek secondary) suit with a hood (extra filters)
  • A decent respirator (full vision if possible),
  • Goggles if necessary,
  • Poly overshoes/boots & gloves,
  • Rolls & rolls of duct tape to seal the seams
  • Hunting and fishing stuff and nets for catching bait
  • Water filters
  • Long bow, crossbow, and/or recurve with hunting tips,
  • Air rifle and pistol
  • Heirloom seeds, hand tools and an Analog WATCH
  • Entertainment: board games, cards, musical instruments, recorded music, movies.
  • Linens, cloth, sewing supplies.
  • Bug out location with pre-positioned supplies,
  • Livestock and mature perennial plantings,
  • Alternative power and fuel supplies (like wood gasifiers).
  • LOTS of tools
  • A big tank of liquid propane for energy
  • A solar array - the bigger the better
  • Walkie-talkies, Citizens’ Band (CBs), or GMRS (ham)

Last edited:
Well, we have actually done a real bug-out. Or as they call it in California, a mandatory fire evacuation. I have done three of these. One time the house did burn down along with the forest. I had about an hour to pack. First on the list were all the hand tools and small electric tools I could carry. This was a big deal in starting again. Everything went in the bed of a pickup in layers. So, tools, clothes, food, tarp over everything. We went to the winter home at the lake. Now we have a new mountain cabin.

But war is a little different. We would not bug out but stay in place. Being in place the priorities are, water, food, shelter, energy and communications. I would add firearms to the list but I do not know were firearms ranks in the order. Perhaps that would depend on the individual situation.

Food is what I most lack but also lacking is energy. What I mean is solar because everything else will just run out. Even a 500 gal. propane tank would only last 6 mo. or so using it sparingly. There are people here with much bigger tanks but the supply is not infinite. Not that a solar system is infinite but it will last for years.

I am not one of those guys who thinks I can survive for 20 years. Realistically, one year or maybe two years would be max. Sooner or later we are all going to die and with the very hard circumstances of war that time will be shortened.

Last edited:
No silencer works forever unless it is professionaly designed and with the best materials. Mostly they need cleaning regularly, meaning, they have to be able to be broken down into their separate parts and only certain parts can be heavily threaded or welded. The pressure and flames eats the steel wool some people try in homemade types.
What needs to be understood: the changing of the decibles is the idea. Going from, lets say, 80 db to 90 db is actually a DOUBLING of the "loudness" and going from 90 db to 100 db is doubling again...so...if you can drop your gunshot sound from 150 db down to about 120 db, you have actually now cut the original loudness in half 3 times...a normal car motor is around 85 db to 90 db as a comparison and an office full of old typewriters was around 90 db.
Usually a silencer can take dozens of rounds without any types of failure, but after certain types of gunpowders have stopped up the baffles, your accuracy could start to suffer, especially if shooting at longer distances. In your house, it will not be any problem. I have seen a silencer (that was actually too long) on a Yugoslavian Zastava which had a hole in the front screw-on faceplate made from one of its own bullets. It worked well against aircraft since it swallowed the muzzelblast flames completely, but the super-sonic crack was still there.
Also the same super-sonic crack was still there but only as an echo from nearby buildings and walls, came from a Chech Skorpion in .32 cal. The suppressor was small and still made the Skorpion too large to conceal and nose heavy too.
This is what a Skorpion looks like:

"possibility" of war? downright certain more like.

Agreed, which is why we decided to do this before, maybe we can't anymore. Get as much info out there as possible to people. One more prepared person is one less desperate looter.

What would you add? What are some of the innovative things that you have done to prepare yourself?

I have this motto, "get it before you need it" because by the time you decide you need it they wont be available.
in the situation we are in now that will probably be anything made from oil or its by products.
I dont think I've done anything innovative in my prepping, just more of what I have already been doing all along.

For survival I doubt much would be more desirable to have than self-sufficiency into infinity . After a nuclear war is over there is the matter of food and water for sustainability . Just a few weeks of stored food may get you through the war only to starve afterwards . -- A few weeks ago I went out and bought an airplane that I can not fly in case my small group needs to evacuate . However my 18 year old Grandson does have a piolet license and lives with us on our survival grounds . I expect those fleeing refugees trying to get out of Ukraine would give most anything to have a evacuation aircraft .

I have this motto, "get it before you need it" because by the time you decide you need it they wont be available.
in the situation we are in now that will probably be anything made from oil or its by products.
I dont think I've done anything innovative in my prepping, just more of what I have already been doing all along.

You may not THINK you have done anything innovative but, those of us who have been at it most of our lives, have done things that people just starting out may find useful.

I know the hour is late in the game and if you aren't self sufficient at this point, you are at a disadvantage but...not completely without hope.

You may not THINK you have done anything innovative but, those of us who have been at it most of our lives, have done things that people just starting out may find useful.

I know the hour is late in the game and if you aren't self sufficient at this point, you are at a disadvantage but...not completely without hope.
we all had to start somewhere.

It's pretty cool that it drops it right on your location (it did for me anyway) even if your location isn't likely to get a direct hit?! Tsar Bomba gave us 1.7 million dead, so I think it probably got us!

As far as Nukes go, I played around with this for a while. They seemed to have done some decent research for it but, don't know how accurate it would ultimately be.

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein (nuclearsecrecy.com)

I dropped a 100 mt Tsar Bomba on the nearest conceivable target to the BOL...the BOL is about 12 km outside the outer circle. Fallout is not likely because the wind would have to be SSE, which is rare at the BOL. But that it not a very likely target. City of less than a half a million people with nothing strategic.

what I was most interested was the fallout map (there are a couple of different toggles). Even my home base is outside any immediate blast effects and I know the BOL is, but, fallout was what I was most concerned with.

Remember back when NK was sabre rattling a while back? Supposedly one of the targets he had was Austin Texas...I was like Austin? The guy has maybe three bombs and he wants to bomb Austin? San Antonio I get. That has military bases, even Killeen with fT hood, but Austin? Must be a personal grudge!

Last edited:
I dropped a 100 mt Tsar Bomba on the nearest conceivable target to the BOL...the BOL is about 12 km outside the outer circle. Fallout is not likely because the wind would have to be SSE, which is rare at the BOL. But that it not a very likely target. City of less than a half a million people with nothing strategic.
Yep, the program dropped it directly on us, but when I pointed the drop to the nearest decent sized city (our state has MANY!) we were well out of the range of any damage. No telling what the winds would be doing for sure (nukes might temporarily effect local weather) or the effect of multiple cities getting nuked, so I was less sure about fallout.

As far as Nukes go, I played around with this for a while. They seemed to have done some decent research for it but, don't know how accurate it would ultimately be.

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein (nuclearsecrecy.com)
That was a cool demo. It correlated to my research this week.

I always thought it would be a BOAKYAG scenario. It would be a maybe possible with a Tsar. Distance, terrain, and elevation help me.
Anything less and I am looking at a possible survivable situation with the fallout Even being 40 miles from 3 possible major targets with wind direction. It’s not going to be pleasant for a couple weeks but there is hope.

Glad my preps this week were not for nothing. A few more things to pick up next week My previous emergency level based preps only helped with level 7.

That was a cool demo. It correlated to my research this week.

I always thought it would be a BOAKYAG scenario. It would be a maybe possible with a Tsar. Distance, terrain, and elevation help me.
Anything less and I am looking at a possible survivable situation with the fallout Even being 40 miles from 3 possible major targets with wind direction. It’s not going to be pleasant for a couple weeks but there is hope.

Glad my preps this week were not for nothing. A few more things to pick up next week My previous emergency level based preps only helped with level 7.

I'm a cold war kid and yes, Un survivable, I think that was kind of the thoughts back then and if you did get to a shelter, you probably would never be able to come out.

From what I have been reading lately, the newer nukes have gamma rads so their half life is much shorter and less permanent than the old ones outside the actual blast area?.

One of the toggles on the sim is air burst or ground burst, different fallout with each.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back