Prepping for the possibility of war

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that out of every 100 Russian nukes, probably only one has been modernized. It's really expensive to do and from what we've seen of the equipment Russia's been using against the Ukrainians, they haven't modernized much at all. Of course, they could just be using their "C" or "D" equipment in Ukraine because the Ukrainians had only a lot of 3rd rate armaments anyway. That could change on both sides quickly.
But even an un-modernized nuke will do devastating damage.

Good point. My son's first job when he entered the military was re-programing/updating or decommissioning nukes. That was a while ago. Russia does seem to be behind the times on equipment.

I'm a cold war kid and yes, Un survivable, I think that was kind of the thoughts back then and if you did get to a shelter, you probably would never be able to come out.

From what I have been reading lately, the newer nukes have gamma rads so their half life is much shorter and less permanent than the old ones outside the actual blast area?.

One of the toggles on the sim is surface burst or ground burst, different fallout with each.
Cold War kid here too. Shelters are in city, I live on my BOL.
40 miles to NW a surface burst would take out 2 major cities that none of us would cry about. Newer nukes are also smaller and more targeted. Terrain, sea level to 1800 ft helps me also.
40 miles to SE, 2400ft ridge helps me. But it is a communication center for the country.
Instead of BOAKYAG, I tried to look at it differently.
Questions I came up with.
How long before Game and free range cattle will be safe to eat, if they survive? Vegtable garden?
Do we have to wait for good rain for fallout to wash away?
The longer range I look at, the more questions I have.

I had the Gamma rays backwards! Those are the bad ones. Alpha and Beta are the ones found more commonly now.
From what I was reading yesterday what will be edible will have everything to do with how much of a dose of radiation your area gets.
It said if livestock does not die, they will be safe to eat once they recover? And a small scraping and washing of the soil will do the trick and ground water would be drinkable....this was in the 1 rad area.
Let me see if I can find the website I was at yesterday but my eyes are starting to cross so I need to sleep first...will have to wait until the morn.
They actually made it sound like it won't be as bad in some areas.

I had the Gamma rays backwards! Those are the bad ones. Alpha and Beta are the ones found more commonly now.
From what I was reading yesterday what will be edible will have everything to do with how much of a dose of radiation your area gets.
It said if livestock does not die, they will be safe to eat once they recover? And a small scraping and washing of the soil will do the trick and ground water would be drinkable....this was in the 1 rad area.
Let me see if I can find the website I was at yesterday.
Fall out will be tricky. All depends on the wind. I don’t think we can predict or plan.
My long range plan is for after a year. As my supplies run lower.

I'm thinking that out of every 100 Russian nukes, probably only one has been modernized. It's really expensive to do and from what we've seen of the equipment Russia's been using against the Ukrainians, they haven't modernized much at all. Of course, they could just be using their "C" or "D" equipment in Ukraine because the Ukrainians had only a lot of 3rd rate armaments anyway. That could change on both sides quickly.
But even an un-modernized nuke will do devastating damage.

even the crudest of nuke devices are capable weapons if overall size isn't a factor - if you have a CDX container to bring the weapon into a seaport or international airport - as long as it doesn't enter far enough to trip rad sensors >> KABOOM

When you have limited time and $ for preps, and it is time to shore things up, you need to do a threat assessment (again).

Up until recently, my #1 was an economic collapse. Still is pretty high on the list and may actually occur in tandem with another catastrophic occurrence but, at least you can see that train coming down the tracks before it goes off the rails.

Higher on my immediate threat scale than the traditional use of nukes is the likely hood of a disabling financial, electric or fuel delivery disruption type cyberattack, HEMP/EMP.

I think this is much more likely than a nuke hitting a western country. In 2017 Putin stated that "no one would survive a nuclear war." so he is aware of the futility of starting one. Apparently he has a girl and four kids holding up in Switzerland right now.

"Ventriloquizing for the Kremlin, Putin intimate and director of Russia’s state-run international media giants, RT and Sputnik, Margarita Simonyan, declared on TV: “Russia will invade Ukraine, sparking a conflict with the U.S. that will force entire cities into blackout. … All-out cyber warfare, nationwide forced blackouts.”

U.S. risking cybergeddon with Russia - Washington Times

While not out of the question, if there is a to be a major escalation, I believe it will take a form other than nukes.

Last edited:
Whatever, I don't really care. Humans are locusts for the most part. I will do my best to survive, to take care of my wife, and in her absence, mostly out of curiosity of how it plays out. We ALL have to die, so I don't get too upset about it. 99 problems and fear ain't one.

Whatever, I don't really care. Humans are locusts for the most part. I will do my best to survive, to take care of my wife, and in her absence, mostly out of curiosity of how it plays out. We ALL have to die, so I don't get too upset about it. 99 problems and fear ain't one.

There are worse things than death.

One more prepared person is one less desperate looter.
I have gotten the new german family in the next village to go shopping and get enough food and fuels for a half a year. They just got to Hungary last Aug. and are getting their house together still. I gave him a gasoline powered cooking stove since he only has a propane bottle or electric to cook with so far. I still have gasoline, kerosene, butane, propane, alcohol, wood and electric possibilities to cook with. Oh, I forgot, I have all the necessary parts for a solar cooker too, it is just not assembled.
BTW: I saw a guy cook his lunch with a black cast iron dutch oven, under a single sheet of glass, which he had laid on top of an tractor tire innertube. The black innertube is laying flat on the ground, the dutch oven inside the hole of the "donut" and the glass on top of it all. As the sun goes through the glass and hits the black tube and black pot he got about 170°F in there and got his stew cooked for free. He said you can also bake bread this way but it will just not have a good crust, but baked through.

Let me see if I can find the website I was at yesterday but my eyes are starting to cross so I need to sleep first...will have to wait until the morn.

I found it finally!
Getting Food After a Nuclear War - PrepperFortress

Don't know how valid some of the info is so trust but, verify.

It does make a good point that given the choice between starving to death in the next few weeks or dying of cancer in 20, there might not be much of a choice.

I have gotten the new german family in the next village to go shopping and get enough food and fuels for a half a year. They just got to Hungary last Aug. and are getting their house together still. I gave him a gasoline powered cooking stove since he only has a propane bottle or electric to cook with so far. I still have gasoline, kerosene, butane, propane, alcohol, wood and electric possibilities to cook with. Oh, I forgot, I have all the necessary parts for a solar cooker too, it is just not assembled.
BTW: I saw a guy cook his lunch with a black cast iron dutch oven, under a single sheet of glass, which he had laid on top of an tractor tire innertube. The black innertube is laying flat on the ground, the dutch oven inside the hole of the "donut" and the glass on top of it all. As the sun goes through the glass and hits the black tube and black pot he got about 170°F in there and got his stew cooked for free. He said you can also bake bread this way but it will just not have a good crust, but baked through.

You know the Texas sun...for about 8 months out of the year, all you need is anything black and you can cook. At least after an EMP all those useless cars can be repurposed! LOL

Somewhere I read of somebody writing a book on cooking with your catalytic converter under your car. He figured out how to make a little grill-like contraption which fits to your cat. You decide what you want to cook, how much to cook and where you are driving to, (visit, fishing or hunting) and how long you need to drive till the food was cooked.
A normal cat has temperatures of up to 800°C and can start a fire under your car if you park it in a grassy or lightly wooded area and your car sits kinda low to the ground.
Also, there a lots of youtubers who cook inside the car windows with black pans and aluminum wrapped cardboard box as covers...

Somewhere I read of somebody writing a book on cooking with your catalytic converter under your car. He figured out how to make a little grill-like contraption which fits to your cat. You decide what you want to cook, how much to cook and where you are driving to, (visit, fishing or hunting) and how long you need to drive till the food was cooked.
A normal cat has temperatures of up to 800°C and can start a fire under your car if you park it in a grassy or lightly wooded area and your car sits kinda low to the ground.
Also, there a lots of youtubers who cook inside the car windows with black pans and aluminum wrapped cardboard box as covers...

I have taken raw veggies from the fridge intended for lunch, added a small amount of water, wrapped it in foil and left it on the dash in the sun. Had a nicely steamed veggie plate to eat by noon!

Lots of ideas just seem to happen per-chance that someone forgot something somewhere and something happened. Learning to use the funny things is part of true survival. MIS-using something for another purpose than the inventor ever thought is important. I taught the kids in my survival camp to punch a couple of small holes in a beer, coke or mineral water bottle and turn it upside down, shake it hard and use it as a fire-extinguisher on a grill or small grass fire. It even worked on a test vehicle in Stuttgart when a engine fire started, a half liter of coke put the fire out. You just have to watch out that it is not used in a very hot metal fire, sugar has lots of energy and will start burning too...like the sugar in a marshmellow.

No silencer works forever unless it is professionaly designed and with the best materials. Mostly they need cleaning regularly, meaning, they have to be able to be broken down into their separate parts and only certain parts can be heavily threaded or welded. The pressure and flames eats the steel wool some people try in homemade types.
What needs to be understood: the changing of the decibles is the idea. Going from, lets say, 80 db to 90 db is actually a DOUBLING of the "loudness" and going from 90 db to 100 db is doubling again...so...if you can drop your gunshot sound from 150 db down to about 120 db, you have actually now cut the original loudness in half 3 times...a normal car motor is around 85 db to 90 db as a comparison and an office full of old typewriters was around 90 db.
Usually a silencer can take dozens of rounds without any types of failure, but after certain types of gunpowders have stopped up the baffles, your accuracy could start to suffer, especially if shooting at longer distances. In your house, it will not be any problem. I have seen a silencer (that was actually too long) on a Yugoslavian Zastava which had a hole in the front screw-on faceplate made from one of its own bullets. It worked well against aircraft since it swallowed the muzzelblast flames completely, but the super-sonic crack was still there.
Also the same super-sonic crack was still there but only as an echo from nearby buildings and walls, came from a Chech Skorpion in .32 cal. The suppressor was small and still made the Skorpion too large to conceal and nose heavy too.
This is what a Skorpion looks like:

Allow me to correct:

6db = doubling in volume (perceived loudness, waveform doubles in amplitude)
3db = doubling in energy. A wave of equal frequency and double amplitude carries 4x as much energy, or 6db more. (By the way, a wave of double frequency and equal amplitude carries 16x more energy, or 12db more) A loudspeaker fed with 2 Watts will be 3db louder than one fed with 1 Watt.

Sound loses 6db at distance squared. So a gunshot 100db at 100 yards will be 94db at 200 yards. The air swallows sound by itself, the higher its frequency, the stronger the effect. Including terrain and wind you will lose much more than 6db when doubling the distance.

So 10 db is a 3x reduction in amplitude and a 10x reduction in energy. Suppressors usually suppress between 10 and 30db which is 3-32 reduction in preceived volume.

The noise comes from expanding gasses and the supersonic crack made by the bullet. Also, gasses escape through the chamber at the rear of the barrel, so for a truly quiet rifle you'll want a bolt action with a subsonic round, preferrably a heavy bullet such as .45acp or 300 AAC blackout.

Last edited:
Allow me to correct:
I agree with youR info...but I ALSO believe that I have extremely more practical experience than almost every person on this forum with such things...when my mechanism and the impact of the bullets are louder than the "explosion" of the expanding gases in my weapon...then the silencer is working like I built it, OR??

Latest posts

Back