Considerations for Bug Out Locations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Reaction score
I feel strongly that if I live until my parents are weak, it's my duty to care for them. We learn so much from grandparents and great grandparents. The elderly can benefit from youth, too.

A study showed that when they combined a preschool and nursing home somewhere in a Nordic country, the elderly were healthier and lived longer.

Anyway, I really like living in close proximity to some of my extended family and would really encourage others who are still looking to consider multi-generational/family commune style living.

In healthy families, nobody has your back quite like family!

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
We have predetermined meeting points.

Long range walkie talkies are in Faraday bags so we can communicate across homesteads if need be.

Getting home if we are traveling is a concern. We rarely travel outside of a day's walk, but I don't even know how to go about planning for along travel home.

Do you have go-bags?

Okay, so this will sound a little over the top for some but, when I travel overseas, I pack a go bag. In it, I have a multi-tool, rubber rain poncho, antibiotics, fishing hook, freeze dried food, documents, paracord, water filter all of the things you would bring on a long day hike to the mountains. It doesn't raise eyebrows (you do however have to put it in your checked luggage).

I always throw some silver coins in the bag as well as some old gold jewelry (an earring I lost the pair to or a broken chain).

When I get there, I buy an inexpensive hunting knife that is left behind on the return trip.

Last edited:

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have go-bags?
That sounds like my scratch bag. I take it everywhere in a small camelback. 1 1/2 liters of water and all the things I need. The only problem is, if it ever gets stolen or "LOST" by the sometimes less trustworthy workers in the airport, the contents are worth over a thousand dollars in this little 5 lb. bag....

Reaction score
Do you have go-bags?

Okay, so this will sound a little over the top for some but, when I travel overseas, I pack a go bag. In it, I have a multi-tool, rubber rain poncho, antibiotics, fishing hook, freeze dried food, documents, paracord, water filter all of the things you would bring on a long day hike to the mountains. It doesn't raise eyebrows (you do however have to put it in your checked luggage).

I always throw some silver coins in the bag as well as some old gold jewelry (an earring I lost the pair to or a broken chain).

When I get there, I buy an inexpensive hunting knife that is left behind on the return trip.
We do, but they need work. These are awesome ideas. Thank you!

Arcticdude

Top Poster
Reaction score
I have what I call a "grab and go bag". I take it everywhere I go. I change it out depending on season. For winter I have fire starter, extra gloves, wool hat, wool sweater, wool socks, snares, canned food (enough for 3 days), hatchet, extra knife, rope, metal cup to cook in or melt snow, extra .22 pistol and ammo and other miscellaneous items. I carry this bag on my tractor while I'm plowing my road too, 3 miles long. It's easy to get lost when the visibility is zero, get stuck in a snow drift or slide off the road and spend hours digging, or have to walk home.
For summer it's much lighter since I wouldn't need most of the winter stuff, but I do have some fishing gear, water filter and a few other things.

Latest posts