Considerations for Bug Out Locations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never consider a place in the southwest ever again. One word-Water. Yeah the climate is great, but……. I have an 800 ft well now.

I lived in an old 1872 house back east and had city water. Had an old hand pump hand dug well I built a deck around that was decorative and useful for watering plants. Who knew it would set me on this path we are all on?

Next step property has a 30 ft well. Shallow enough for a hand pump if needed. And i will have the pieces to the puzzle for a back up.

Water is key.

For me, the top 10 important things to consider when looking for land to purchase is:
1. Demographics. What is the ratio of black, brown, and red to White
2. Politics. Any area that isn't Conservative is immediately rulled out
3. Climate. Low humidity. Adequate winter and spring moisture
4. Water. The land must have water. Live water, well water etc
5. Land status. Large blocks of public domain land surrounding the parcel
6. Minerals. The area must have a history of mining with the ability of filing your own mining claim
7. Population density. The fewer people the better. No neighbors
8. Land size. The property must be large enough to raise all of your own meat, fruit, vegetables, chicken/eggs. And enough land to grow their feed
9. Timber. Enough timber for all you firewood, and possibly building materials
10. Wildlife. It's all food on the hoof

Anything less than the above could be trouble after a true, life changing SHTF situation.

For me, the top 10 important things to consider when looking for land to purchase is:
1. Demographics. What is the ratio of black, brown, and red to White
2. Politics. Any area that isn't Conservative is immediately rulled out
3. Climate. Low humidity. Adequate winter and spring moisture
4. Water. The land must have water. Live water, well water etc
5. Land status. Large blocks of public domain land surrounding the parcel
6. Minerals. The area must have a history of mining with the ability of filing your own mining claim
7. Population density. The fewer people the better. No neighbors
8. Land size. The property must be large enough to raise all of your own meat, fruit, vegetables, chicken/eggs. And enough land to grow their feed
9. Timber. Enough timber for all you firewood, and possibly building materials
10. Wildlife. It's all food on the hoof

Anything less than the above could be trouble after a true, life changing SHTF situation.

So how do you juxtapose the state politics with the local? I like the fact that Texas has declared themselves a 2nd amendment sanctuary state. The Sheriffs and local cops here will not help the Feds enforce anti-constitutional gun laws.

So how do you juxtapose the state politics with the local? I like the fact that Texas has declared themselves a 2nd amendment sanctuary state. The Sheriffs and local cops here will not help the Feds enforce anti-constitutional gun laws.
My state is very conservative and my county even more so. I dont think my sheriff would enforce any unconstitutional laws either. I'll have to ask him about that next time I see him.

I would never consider a place in the southwest ever again. One word-Water. Yeah the climate is great, but……. I have an 800 ft well now.

I lived in an old 1872 house back east and had city water. Had an old hand pump hand dug well I built a deck around that was decorative and useful for watering plants. Who knew it would set me on this path we are all on?

Next step property has a 30 ft well. Shallow enough for a hand pump if needed. And i will have the pieces to the puzzle for a back up.

Water is key.

Water is the main reason we are changing BOL's. The well here is 420' and the creek is only wet weather. In droughts people's wells have gone dry.

BOL2 has a 30' hand dug well and the locals tell me they have never seen the spring fed creek go dry. Community water is an option but, currently, we are not hooked up.

BOL1 has plenty of ground water, and the well is 1600', the fourth aquifer down and under pressure, so no pump is necessary even though we have a pump to make the pressure higher. The water, however has hydrogen sulfide and iron in it and upsets my stomach if I drink it without letting it sit overnight or boiling it, even after it goes through the filters. I would not try to drink the surface water or ground water due to the Ag chemicals, nor would I eat the fish. I guess a reverse osmosis filter might clean it well enough, I don't know.

BOL2 has a 78' well. It could be pumped by hand if necessary, and you could even drop a bucket down in it like an old fashioned well. The water is very clean and tastes great. Even after prolonged dry spells the pump pushes out water faster than we need. Then there is the river. Some organisms in the water but no chemical contamination. Nothing but forests upstream for a good ways. Boiling and sediment filter is all you need. Fish are free of any unhealthy chemicals, and the hydro dam 4 miles downstream prevents the contaminated fish from farther downstream from getting to us. We are at upper end of the small deep water reservoir created by the dam.

Some neat thoughts here. We are staying put. We are 90 miles from a major city. About 20 miles from the Trinity site so nobody will waste a bomb blowing that up. We can buy meat on the hoof and have a freezer full of food with a generator. At our age, almost 70, that is as good as it will get!

Latest posts

Back