How do we defend ourselves if society collapses?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Then you have Australia. They're being sent to covide camps and you have no recourse"

I wish I got a $ every time an ignorant American said Australians have been disarmed. We haven't. We own more guns now than before the laws were fundamentally changed in 1996. I personally have a glock 17, a CZ75, a 1911 and 3 ruger Mk111's. Thinking about a desert eagle next. Getting a permit for a handgun is easy here, even easier for a rifle or shotgun.

Personally I don't think a shotgun is that great a weapon. In the UK you you are legally limited to a fixed magazine capacity of no more than three cartridges. Plus it shoots shot and not bullets. You are also limited by it's size. For self defense, I would much rather carry a handgun with a large round capacity. I hear you can get handguns that even shoot 30 rounds.

Shotguns are actually a very good choice for home defense.
Of course thats assuming you can get buckshot and slugs.
The low capacity in your situation does suck though.

"Then you have Australia. They're being sent to covide camps and you have no recourse"

I wish I got a $ every time an ignorant American said Australians have been disarmed. We haven't. We own more guns now than before the laws were fundamentally changed in 1996. I personally have a glock 17, a CZ75, a 1911 and 3 ruger Mk111's. Thinking about a desert eagle next. Getting a permit for a handgun is easy here, even easier for a rifle or shotgun.
And I wish I had a $ for every time a foreigner comes on here thinking they know what an American thinks.

Shotguns are actually a very good choice for home defense.
Of course thats assuming you can get buckshot and slugs.
The low capacity in your situation does suck though.
I looked on some of the shooting websites for the UK, and I didn't see any mention of buckshot or slugs being legal or available. But one thing I did learn that the Canada Goose is a nuisance bird in Scotland and you can get a shotgun and ammunition for the purpose of exterminating them. Anything that will bring down a Canada Goose at hunting range will do a number on a human at close range. Maybe not as lethal as buckshot, but we're not talking about #8 birdshot!

I looked on some of the shooting websites for the UK, and I didn't see any mention of buckshot or slugs being legal or available. But one thing I did learn that the Canada Goose is a nuisance bird in Scotland and you can get a shotgun and ammunition for the purpose of exterminating them. Anything that will bring down a Canada Goose at hunting range will do a number on a human at close range. Maybe not as lethal as buckshot, but we're not talking about #8 birdshot!

You can make a poor mans slug by cutting the casing just above where the shot sits. You cut all the way around the shell leaving about a 1/4 inch of uncut plastic.
That way the pellets all come out in a tight group. Opening the shell at the end and pouring melted wax into the shell works as well. The only drawback is you cant shoot them through a semi auto or a pump gun.To be clear,you can shoot a wax shell through a pump or an semi auto.

Last edited:

Then why did you folks allow the nazi police to beat you like dogs, in the streets and at your homes? I fully support law enforcement, until they start beating people for not wearing a mask or not staying inside. Some of those videos are insane; making George Floyd look like a handshake.

Maybe you haven't been disarmed, but you have certainly been neutered.

Then why did you folks allow the nazi police to beat you like dogs, in the streets and at your homes? I fully support law enforcement, until they start beating people for not wearing a mask or not staying inside. Some of those videos are insane; making George Floyd look like a handshake.

Maybe you haven't been disarmed, but you have certainly been neutered.

We have a similar problem here.
The Gov let BLM and Pantifa run wild with no punishment whatsoever,in fact the dems were bailing them out of jail.
Yet on Jan. 6th they locked up anyone they wanted to and they're still rotting in jail after a year,some without charges.
Thats very telling and horrifying. They're basically telling us that Conservatives are the enemy of the US.

Quote from a blind person:

"Then why did you folks allow the nazi police to beat you like dogs, in the streets and at your homes? I fully support law enforcement, until they start beating people for not wearing a mask or not staying inside. Some of those videos are insane; making George Floyd look like a handshake."

Probably for the same reason Americans allow their police and government to beat or shoot them like dogs. You must wear very large blinkers not to see how downtrodden you have become.

After reading page one and two of the thread, I would like to make a point of words.

Militias are not gangs or marauders. Militias defend and protect the citizens of our communities. Militias are from the people, by the people to defend the people. Minute men were our Rapid Defense Force. Gangs and marauders are what steal from, attacks, rapes and kills people in neighborhoods and communities.

I want to 2nd what Texprep said. Because of my military and correctional training, my opinion is that shotguns are excellent home defense guns. Whoever thinks that birdshot will not kill a human is wrong. I had a high school friend killed by a loser with a shotgun and bird shot. They were about 15+/- feet away from each other.

Yeah, slugs and buckshot are deadlier but if your in your house and you have kids/pets in different bedrooms you want bird shot so you do not over penetrate the walls hitting family. I would have one or two birdshot and the rest buckshot in the shotgun. If they are not jumping thru the windows trying to escape after the first round then you need to go to the heavier penetrating firepower.

I used to have a 8 round Mossberg Persuader 12ga. I added a tactical stock so that I had a pistol group. A side saddle shell holder for back up shells. I miss that shotgun.

If there is a total economic and social collapse of society, how do we defend ourselves? Its all very well being a prepper now, but are we not going to end up with a situation where there are armed militias that will simply take over our resources? I have just purchased a small farm in Scotland. While I have resources at present, how would I stop others taking it over by force? If a gang turns up with guns, there is practically very little I can do about it. The situation is even worse here (and much of the world), as unlike the USA, we are legally prohibited from having guns. The criminals don’t care, as they have guns anyway. Even if I did have a gun, there is no way I could fight off a heavily armed militia on my own. It's a practical question and I wonder what we do about it? Do we try and form our own militias? Or do we abandon farming / land and live in the wilderness as hunter / gatherers?
there are even less people that live in Scotland than live in England so the possibility of having uninvited guests is somewhat reduced.
plus 80% of the population of the UK live in cities and large urban enclaves and have no idea about survival when all the mains are off and wont survive for much longer than a month to 6 weeks once all the supermarkets are empty and cant cook anything once the electric is off if they had anything. British people arent used to evacuation and wont last long trying to live off the country if they did.

Quote from a blind person:

"Then why did you folks allow the nazi police to beat you like dogs, in the streets and at your homes? I fully support law enforcement, until they start beating people for not wearing a mask or not staying inside. Some of those videos are insane; making George Floyd look like a handshake."

Probably for the same reason Americans allow their police and government to beat or shoot them like dogs. You must wear very large blinkers not to see how downtrodden you have become.

Shows how little you know about America. 99.9% of the people being shot by the police ARE dogs. I wish they were shooting more of them. We have an entire class of people that completely disrespect the police while THEY are committing crimes. They refuse to obey lawful orders, and they assault the police for doing the job MOST Americans want them to do. Our police are not enforcing draconian laws, in fact, they are hardly enforcing anything anymore because of the radical left policies; so if you get shot by a cop in America, trust me, you deserved the hell out of it.

If there is a total economic and social collapse of society, how do we defend ourselves? Its all very well being a prepper now, but are we not going to end up with a situation where there are armed militias that will simply take over our resources? I have just purchased a small farm in Scotland. While I have resources at present, how would I stop others taking it over by force? If a gang turns up with guns, there is practically very little I can do about it. The situation is even worse here (and much of the world), as unlike the USA, we are legally prohibited from having guns. The criminals don’t care, as they have guns anyway. Even if I did have a gun, there is no way I could fight off a heavily armed militia on my own. It's a practical question and I wonder what we do about it? Do we try and form our own militias? Or do we abandon farming / land and live in the wilderness as hunter / gatherers?

In Ukraine during the Bolshevik induced starvation, the government officials would come in and take every last grain, every last scrap of RECOGNIZABLE food from the countryside. The citizens resorted to hiding it. They would bury it, stuff it up chimneys, under floor boards, in the hollows of trees and sew it into mattresses or pillows. Eventually, the officials caught on and started carrying with them long, hooked rods which they would probe the ground with or reach up into chimney's with. They would cut open pillows and mattresses. They would even take the cooking pots, telling the residents since they would have no use for them, they should "donate" them to the collective.

If your main worry is looters, good hiding places to "cache" food might be enough to do it. If your concern is more along the lines of a government action against hoarders, you will have a more difficult time.

Sometimes the best defense is camouflage, it definitely won't hurt.

In the first instance here are a few ideas

1) create a Sacrifice stash. One that is hidden but designed to make them think they have found the mother load of what you have. Then have your main food hidden split up in several different other places that are much harder to find.

2) Make your house appear to have been already burned out and looted. This can be done by boarding up windows, painting (using the technique of tromp l'oi, fool the eye) smoke stains above windows and doors, Using a blow torch, you can make it look even more realistic, burning the vegetation around it, scattering old clothes and maybe an old refrigerator laying on its back in the front yard with some rotting food still in it. Really make it look like it has already been picked over.

3) Guerilla gardening. This is the art of deceptive gardening. Rather than planting things in neat little rows behind a fence, which is basically a neon sign advertising your crops as a fast food restaurant, you plant things out in the forest, here and there. Plant perennials where you can because they are shade tolerant and low maintenance once established and scatter some annuals randomly around the property. I am big on planting what I call "strangelings". Plants that are edible and nutritious but, not often recognizable to someone not trained in natural foraging.

As far as physical defense, here are a couple :

Coon holes can be quite effective. Dig18" holes around the most likely point of entry or least defensible point of approach or along a fence line (they hit a couple of those before getting far and they may be second guessing their decision to go further), and drive a sharpened piece of rebar (or more) into the bottom. cover with light sticks and brush....someone steps on those...yikes. For added pain,drive some spikes into the hole at a downward angle so that if they try to pull their foot out they are liable to get speared again. Makes them sitting ducks...

Another one, I have seen is called a popper. If you can get shotgun shells, you plant one on top of a nail, when it is stepped on, the primer is pushed onto the nail, in theory, setting off the shell. Makeshift mine.

Old tire treads cut off flat, put screws through them and burry them slightly on a dirt road or trail...will help take out an approaching vehicle or two.

Here are some other ideas... 12 Booby Traps For SHTF - Ready To Go Survival

12 Homemade Booby Traps When SHTF – Online Barracks

There is also this book availible on Amazon :

U.S. Army Guide to Boobytraps Paperback – February 4, 2010
by Department of the Army (Author)

And the disclaimer is apt...these things used during regular times could land you in a heap of trouble.

Basically, the premise is to make yourself either appear to be undesirable or...such a frustratingly difficult target, using up so much of their few resources, that they go elsewhere.

Last edited:
It appears this thread is currently focused on shotguns but allow me to add information about creating local defense groups.

See: 53. Organizing A Neighborhood Protection Plan Page 57 on this link
The free download book has excellent tips on canvassing your neighbors.

See also: 54. Creating Neighborhood Redoubts. Page 57 on this link

See Also: 55. Invite Your Neighbors Anonymously To Ally With You. Page 58 on this link

The Op is in Scotland ...my family are from Scotland ... perhaps go old school, pal, and gie em laldie wie a big thistle! If Thistles are not classified as an offensive weapon, then they should be. :D No offence to anyone here. I am trying to give us all a doom-break, just for a bit of fun. It sometimes feels like a curse to be able to see the bigger picture as we all do and not be able to do much about it, if you get what I mean. I am not trying to be flippant or make light. I think it is a UK thing - we try to make a joke out of stuff when it is looking bad. I reckon some of you lovely people get this.

I was going to suggest growing fences out of "devil's walking sticks" but, wasn't sure if it would grow there or become invasive.

1650378226782.png

Latest posts

Back