How do we defend ourselves if society collapses?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a honey locust tree. The seeds and seedpods are edible. Good for coughs, small pox, stomach, throat cancer, antiseptic, anesthetic, colon cancer, breast cancer, larynx cancer....measles...
Close, but no cigar, LOL
It's a close relative. There are actually a number of closely related species of locust worldwide in the genus Gleditsia, and many of them have "honey locust" in the name, (Persian honey locust, Japanese honey locust, Chinese honey locust, thorny honey locust, Texas honey locust) but not this one.
The toxic black locust ( Robinia pseudoacacia) is in a different genus.
There is a key difference that you can use to distinguish between the thorny honey locust and the swamp locust. The American thorny honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) has a long seed pod with many seeds. The swamp locust (AKA water locust, Gleditsia aquatica) has a very short seed pod, sometimes with only one seed. The swamp locust has a limited range which overlaps the honey locust. As you might guess from the name, they are a wetlands tree and are often found at the water's edge whereas the thorny honey locust is more of an uplands tree.
ZuEF5Rc.jpg

Prickly Pear cactus would work as well they grow like weeds. And you can eat the red bulbs and the green leaves after burning off all the needles.
To propagate them you only need to cut off one of the oval leaves and put in the ground.
You really dont want to fall into a patch of the stuff like a buddy did at our place in Junction Texas. He was drunker than cooter brown and standing on a ledge,one second he was there the next he was gone.
He rolled down a hill that was covered in the stuff. In the end it worked out pretty good for him. My brother had brought several girls from the Men's Club and they stripped him down and pulled all the needles they could.

1651784300764.png

The leaves are medicinal as well.
Devil's walking stick AKA
Toothache Tree - Your Roadside Source Of Pain Relief And Other Survival Aids - Prepper's Will (prepperswill.com)

Other uses: topical pain relief of wounds, scent masking for hunting, insecticide, garden repellent for rabbits...

Thanks for the tip. Someone on one of my gardening forums was talking about these a couple years back and I didn't take the time to check them out. I'm impressed with the 'resume'. Just ordered one in 1 gal. pot from for $12.00 from these folks: Zanthoxylum clava-herculis Toothache Tree

The leaves are medicinal as well.
Devil's walking stick AKA
Toothache Tree - Your Roadside Source Of Pain Relief And Other Survival Aids - Prepper's Will (prepperswill.com)

Other uses: topical pain relief of wounds, scent masking for hunting, insecticide, garden repellent for rabbits...
Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa sometimes called Hercules Club) doesn't have any medicinal properties. It is often confused with Zanthoxylum clava-herculis, the southern prickly ash, or Zanthoxylum americana, the northern prickly ash, which are also called the Hercules Club (wherein lies the confusion). Those are the toothache trees, not the Devil's Walking Stick.
auYb9Op.jpg

Prickly Pear cactus would work as well they grow like weeds. And you can eat the red bulbs and the green leaves after burning off all the needles.
We just found some prickly pear here. An older pair has them in their vineyard and did not know what they were or what to do with them. I picked a bulb and ate it then and there...we too six pieces with the roots home and planted it behind the pigpen next to the compost. Wish I could find a barrel cactus also. Used those for water back then too. Cut off the top, mix the innards and eat. Kinda like Elmers glue...but water.

Last edited:
We just found some prickly pear here. An older pair has them in their vineyard and did not know what they were or what to do with them. I picked a bulb and ate it then and there...we too six pieces with the roots home and planted it behind the pigpen next to the compost. Wish I could find a barrel cactus also. Used those for water back then too. Cut off the top, mix the innards and eat. Kinda like Elmers glue...but water.

Prickly pear will pretty much grow anywhere in Texas.
Although it grows best in the arid areas.

Thanks for the tip. Someone on one of my gardening forums was talking about these a couple years back and I didn't take the time to check them out. I'm impressed with the 'resume'. Just ordered one in 1 gal. pot from for $12.00 from these folks: Zanthoxylum clava-herculis Toothache Tree

Be careful with these. They are exceedingly invasive. They also have big needles on them.

I saw about the invasiveness possibility. So I was planning on planting it way away from our mowed, cabin area and plant it at the perimeter vegetation line for that reason. I think I may confine it in one of my huge 28"x30" pots I keep at the cabin. Pot confining will stunt/slow growth and root spread , like it does when you keep Japanese Maples in large pots for years like the Brits do. Since the article I read said it's the leaves you use to relieve tooth pain, that resource should be available on a really young, small tree. That's my thinking, anyway. Leather gloves should help on the thorn issues. I've lived in close proximity to pyracanthia and bougainvillia bushes 8'-12'tall, so I'm pretty adept at avoiding viscious thorns.

Last edited:
There are hundreds of Zanthoxylum (prickly ash) species in North America, South America, Asia, and Africa, all with similar medicinal properties.
Some prickly ash trivia:
Szechuan pepper is unrelated to black pepper (Piper nigrum). It is the dried fruit of the Chinese prickly ash tree (Zanthoxylum armatum and Zanthoxylum bungeanum) with the pit removed.
In the Sherlock Holmes movie Mr. Holmes, Holmes used Japanese prickly ash (Zanthoxylum piperitem) to improve his memory.
In Southern Korea, they drop prickly ash fruit into the water to stun fish.

Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa sometimes called Hercules Club) doesn't have any medicinal properties. I

A. Spinoza
Aralia spinosa L

(Devil's walking stick) was also used by Native Americans to treat toothaches.

According to Le Page du Praz in his History of Louisana (1758), as quoted in Donald Culross Peattie’s A Natural History of Trees (1950), “the inner bark has the property of curing the toothache. The patient rolls it up the size of a bean, puts it upon the aching tooth.”

Steven Foster and James A. Duke suggest in A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants (1990) that a “tincture of berries was also used for toothaches.”

The white settlers learned these applications from the Cherokees and other Indian tribes of the region. Paul B. Hamel and Mary U. Chiltoskey in Cherokee Plants: Their Uses — A 400 Year History (1975), state that the plant was not only used for “ache of decaying teeth” but as a root-salve for old sores or as a root tea for a variety of ailments.

Native American Uses: Infusions and decoctions were made from Devils Walking Stick as a dermatological aid, an emetic, a carminative, and to treat toothaches and rheumatism. Decoctions made from the roots were used as a salve for boils and sores, as well as to reduce fevers. The young leaves were eaten if gathered before the prickles harden; they were chopped finely and cooked as a potherb. The Cherokee and Rappahannock Indians are among the Native American tribes known to have utilized this species.

Colonial Uses: Devil’s Walking Stick was introduced into cultivation in 1688 and the bark of the root and the berries were used in medicines.

Devil's Walking Stick (maryland.gov)

Last edited:
My Paternal Grandmother was Lakota and Blackfoot Sioux, but, I have been studying the Cherokee and Tejas culture since that is the history of the area my BOL is in. Different plants but, similar ways of viewing nature!

Confusion between the Devil's Walking Stick and the Hercules Club is rampant. You can Google Devil's Walking Stick and find pictures of Hercules Club and vice versa. I've seen "authoritative" web sites call Aralia spinosa prickly ash, which is most certainly is not. All prickly ash are in the genus Zanthoxylem.
Here is an example:
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=arsp2I'll need to some independent research on the medicinal properties of the Devil's Walking Stick, because web sites are hopelessly confusing on the subject.

@rainingcatzanddogs .....Darn! I can't get ferns to grow for me. Tried 4 ostrich ferns last year in a shady spot under some trees. An armadillo I saw meandering that week and a neighborhood fox were apparently quite fond of them. The fox even drug one of the rhizomes up onto my porch to eat it! I found the remnants and quickly realized what it was. I've seen him on the porch more than once! All 4 vanished in the same week at 4" tall.

Confusion between the Devil's Walking Stick and the Hercules Club is rampant. You can Google Devil's Walking Stick and find pictures of Hercules Club and vice versa. I've seen "authoritative" web sites call Aralia spinosa prickly ash, which is most certainly is not. All prickly ash are in the genus Zanthoxylem.
Here is an example:
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=arsp2I'll need to some independent research on the medicinal properties of the Devil's Walking Stick, because web sites are hopelessly confusing on the subject.

Agreed it gets confusing. What I have found is this....indigenous people use what is available in their area. Maladies are universal so plants were found in each area to treat those ailments.

That is not to say that because Arlia spinosa was used by Texas Cherokee to treat tooth aches, and Prickly Ash was used by East coast Cherokee, that they both cannot have been found to serve the same function.

American Civil War plant medicines inhibit growth, biofilm formation, and quorum sensing by multidrug-resistant bacteria | Scientific Reports (nature.com)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back