Restrictive Permits - State by State

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_V

Reaction score
Back in 2016, Arcticdude said:
This is why I live where I do; no permits required for anything ag related. And that covers everything but the house, which will need a building permit but that's no big deal here.
I just got back from visiting my son in NC where he is attempting to somewhat duplicate what we have here in Florida. Maybe it's because we built over 20 years ago, but I think NC just has way more building regulations/inspections etc. We are careful not to invite any attention that might trigger inspections, but after seeing the hassles and delays he's having to deal with, I'm wondering how it is in other states?
Maybe someone knows of a state-by-state list, comparing laws and restrictions?
I'm thinking of stuff like:
  • Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) Allowed? Size or percent?
  • Building permits and inspections...how restrictive and invasive?
  • Chickens and Livestock ordinances
  • Greenhouses?
  • Gun Laws
  • Home Schooling
  • Hunting laws and seasons
  • Off Grid Electricity
  • Rainwater Collection
  • Right to farm - Growing Your Own Veggies
  • Septic requirements
  • Solar
  • Water rights/use on your own land (some states apparently limit it's use)
  • Zoning: House size, Bunkers, RVs, Trailers, Shipping containers. What's allowed, where?
Please add to the list! Maybe if we can establish a useful list, it will be easy to fill it in, maybe with some input from folks in different states? Of course, there may be vast variation within states depending on county or municipality.

Last edited:
I've been looking to purchase some land for a BOL. Looking primarily in TN, GA, NC. KY. Most of what I see seems to depend on location within the state and type of property. I see a combination of properties all over for sale, most have restrictions and of course vary. Most anything that doesn't have restrictions will likely be out in areas more difficult to access, and of course has no utilities within reasonable range. A list would helpful for sure. Most RE websites indicate in details/property description, the type of land and any restrictions.

Land and Farm site is one I use a lot. You can search by state and type , (residential, farm, ranch, unrestricted, auctions, etc.).

I found places in all the states I've searched that have unrestricted zoning, most in TN, but again, it seems to depend on specific location. If a dev. Co. Owns the properties and is selling acreage, many have fairly strict covenants despite being pretty rural locations.

I don't think I answered your question, but searching online by locations and type of property you are seeking, can be helpful to narrow down your options.

I found good property in unincorporated Arkansas. It has electricity and water utilities on location. It's on the top of a mountain that has a single road running from one end to the other. It's used to bring utilities from a town 6 mikes away on one side to a wealthy community on the other side 3 mikes from mountain.

No permits required for anything except a building permit for a human dwelling and to connect electricity. No restrictions at all. RVs, campers, animals, livestock are allowed.

Arkansas is high on that list and northwest areas are also high elevation.

There are many variables by county even within the same state. Even variables by zoning.
Because I am zoned AG I can
Build any AG building, but the minute Electric or Water is installed, i need a permit for it.
Have a barn roof put on, but need a permit for the house.

New place in a different county zoned Rural Residential
No Permit for out buildings but total roof area can’t be more than 15% of my acreage.
Less reasons to get government involved in General.

I have both counties zoning laws bookmarked and refer to them often. I have found the building dept in the more populous county doesn't know the zoning for AG and tries to apply other requirements.

We have to pay exorbitant impact fees here before we can add any residential structure. Our zoning here is in open rural (OR) which allows 1 res. Structure per acre. We have total 4 on 10 acres but impact fees before you pull any other permit is total cost approx. $12-$13k right out of the shoot..(it says $10.5k (last time I checked) but add all the other fees/charges and it ends up cple grand more. Then you have well, septic permits, etc...and building codes, so on and so on..but we can have garden, chickens, horse, etc.

Compare to:

I own 3+ acre lot in ozarks of Missouri...they allow 1 structure pel LOT in the location of that property...so I can only put 1 home on it, even though it's 3+ acres and you can't divide the acreage to make it 3 or more "lots"...sucks! No building codes for a home, and no impact fees, and even though it is in very rural area, no chickens, or other allowed. Figure that one out!

Generally the restrictions are by county. The place I built in the northern part of the state didn't have a planing department and permits weren't required. The county I'm in now requires building permits for a house, or outbuilding over 400 sqft. I bought the permit for my house, an outrageous fee of $200 I think. I never bothered with the inspections, so I never received an occupancy permit. F the county. Also never bothered with any other permits either.

Deed restrictions also can come into play. I have some strange ones put in place by the guy that subdivided his ranch. Size of house (nobody followed that one), businesses allowed ( I am not allowed to do auto repair), no more than 1 dwelling per 20A lot. All my neighbors seem to know that someone in the 90’s converted a garage into a 400 sqft in-law suite at this place. I guess it was a big uproar. Still have the handicapped accessible ramps built in the house.

I thought it would be good for wife’s Aunt. No she wants to move in to where we are downsizing. Too hot here.

In a state where ADU’s are encouraged, County has some restrictive laws. ADU can only be a percentage of the house, 472 Sqft max and someone 65 or older has to live there. Do I build a permanent one (to rent out later) or put in 400Sqft park model trailer that can be pulled away. Or do I do what county wants and add on 550 Sqft?

Right now the Aunts options are looking like a mobile home down the street and we will check on her. Every option is 100K.

We have to pay exorbitant impact fees here before we can add any residential structure. Our zoning here is in open rural (OR) which allows 1 res. Structure per acre. We have total 4 on 10 acres but impact fees before you pull any other permit is total cost approx. $12-$13k right out of the shoot..(it says $10.5k (last time I checked) but add all the other fees/charges and it ends up cple grand more. Then you have well, septic permits, etc...and building codes, so on and so on..but we can have garden, chickens, horse, etc.

Compare to:

I own 3+ acre lot in ozarks of Missouri...they allow 1 structure pel LOT in the location of that property...so I can only put 1 home on it, even though it's 3+ acres and you can't divide the acreage to make it 3 or more "lots"...sucks! No building codes for a home, and no impact fees, and even though it is in very rural area, no chickens, or other allowed. Figure that one out!

Make your chickens service animals. They prevent you from having disabilitating anxiety about not having enough food.

We only need a permit to build a NEW house and have to designate from the get-go as to if it is going to be a
"vacation home" or a "residential home". The difference is that the vacation home can only be lived in full time, during the vacation seasons and weekends for a max of 3 weeks non-stop.
If you buy a house here and tear it down-it is a new build.
If you buy a house and tear it down but leave a SINGLE WALL still standing...it is being renovated. No permit.

Latest posts

Back