Job search

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badwolf

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where else to post this and was hoping for maybe a few suggestions. Please don't judge because of me asking, i am just curious.

My sister currently works at a retail store and is a department salaried manager there. She's worked her way up from the bottom (literally) and has been with them and only them for 16 years, she's 34. Do the math. It was her first job. However, lately, this retail chain is just going off the deep end with their requirements for her and her team. Not enough payroll, you know the same ole same ole story. However, now it is really affecting her mental health with just how bad it is at the store and just what is required of her.

But, she is the sole main income in our house. I'm in law school, and although i have a part time job, I just can't juggle more than that. The deal was, she would be the main income while I finished up school and then I once I am out of school and working full time, she could go back to school and do what she wants. But i worry for her mental health now.
The problem is, she clears a good 70K a year. She's been trying to find a new job that 1.) Would make around the same that she is making now since we can live solely off of that. A little less would be fine too. 2.) If there WAS a recession or something terrible happens like that, that she wouldn't be out of a job overnight.

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom? We're in the midwest if that helps any. I've been scouring the job boards all day and things that would make around her pay, she idn't qualified for. She doesn't have a college degree. (She attended for about 3 years until she dropped out to take care of our ailing grandmother that raised us when i was still in high school, and never went back.) I have two years left of law school and already have a job lined up for afterwards. Thanks for anyone that has anything useful or even encouraging to say. I hate listening to her crying everyday that she is driving home from work because of how bad it is and am just at a loss.

I wasn't sure where else to post this and was hoping for maybe a few suggestions. Please don't judge because of me asking, i am just curious.

My sister currently works at a retail store and is a department salaried manager there. She's worked her way up from the bottom (literally) and has been with them and only them for 16 years, she's 34. Do the math. It was her first job. However, lately, this retail chain is just going off the deep end with their requirements for her and her team. Not enough payroll, you know the same ole same ole story. However, now it is really affecting her mental health with just how bad it is at the store and just what is required of her.

But, she is the sole main income in our house. I'm in law school, and although i have a part time job, I just can't juggle more than that. The deal was, she would be the main income while I finished up school and then I once I am out of school and working full time, she could go back to school and do what she wants. But i worry for her mental health now.
The problem is, she clears a good 70K a year. She's been trying to find a new job that 1.) Would make around the same that she is making now since we can live solely off of that. A little less would be fine too. 2.) If there WAS a recession or something terrible happens like that, that she wouldn't be out of a job overnight.

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom? We're in the midwest if that helps any. I've been scouring the job boards all day and things that would make around her pay, she idn't qualified for. She doesn't have a college degree. (She attended for about 3 years until she dropped out to take care of our ailing grandmother that raised us when i was still in high school, and never went back.) I have two years left of law school and already have a job lined up for afterwards. Thanks for anyone that has anything useful or even encouraging to say. I hate listening to her crying everyday that she is driving home from work because of how bad it is and am just at a loss.
Any marketable skills outside of retail?

Jobs that have a low barrier to entry:
Real Estate Agent
Insurance Agent
Home cleaning business owner
Elderly sitter
HVAC Tech

She may get bored with these jobs as they're filled with people that are dumber than a box of rocks:
Politician
DMV clerk
Cop
Judge
FBI riot instigator

So far i did understood she needs an job for the next two years until @badwolf finished his diploma and can start his job.
I don't know his sister, but if they hold together as family in this way until now i think she could handle an boring job too for the next two years for the money. Unfortunately i'm too far away to help directly, but i hope the forum can help.

@M0del_31
I dunno how it works for politicans in the states, but over here you need a lot of network and some "uncles or aunties" to catch an well paid position. Beeing stupid as an bread isn't qualification enough...

My opinion is, if she already has a job, stick it out. Like you said, it's only for a couple more years. If all she's ever done is retail work, then she's limited to only other retail jobs. Which won't start out at nearly as much as she's making now. She doesn't have the skill set for a comparable paying job.
Just do what the boss say and quit worrying about it. Two years isn't very long.

My opinion is, if she already has a job, stick it out. Like you said, it's only for a couple more years. If all she's ever done is retail work, then she's limited to only other retail jobs. Which won't start out at nearly as much as she's making now. She doesn't have the skill set for a comparable paying job.
Just do what the boss say and quit worrying about it. Two years isn't very long.
That’s what I’ve told her but wanted to see if there WERE other ideas out there to give her a peace of mind. Thanks!

Sounds to me she is working hard at a job she may actually hate? But because of the family she loves, does it anyways.
That's what we all do for our families. Nobody ever said that life was going to be easy, or that we'd all love our career.
For much of my working career I didn't like my job. But I kept my mouth shut, did what I was told and eventually worked my way up to top management. Then I was able to make decisions and changes, and much more money.

I assume the company she works for must be her source of benefits, so does her medical insurance offer mental health counseling? Having someone to work through issues with might help.

Also, has she made HR aware of any of the issues she is dealing with at work? I was in Sr. Management during my career and believe it or not, we took issues brought forward by our staff members seriously and asked them to get involved in helping with possible solutions. We actually had good results with some of the information we received and helped many of our staff as opposed to just the person bringing up the issue. This may not help her, but it can’t hurt to think about it.

Try looking internally within the company for other possible positions , if any become available. might mean moving which could be a negative point , best she shows a strong face around the people senior to her , Agreed she talk to H R if possible , best of luck to her , make sure you do not fail in your studies for her sake

I assume the company she works for must be her source of benefits, so does her medical insurance offer mental health counseling? Having someone to work through issues with might help.

Also, has she made HR aware of any of the issues she is dealing with at work? I was in Sr. Management during my career and believe it or not, we took issues brought forward by our staff members seriously and asked them to get involved in helping with possible solutions. We actually had good results with some of the information we received and helped many of our staff as opposed to just the person bringing up the issue. This may not help her, but it can’t hurt to think about it.
Oh yeah, she would have better luck talking to a brick wall than her HR. The HR is part of the problem as is the SD and higher management after that. She is looking into the mental health stuff though! Has a telehealth appointment tomorrow!

That’s really unfortunate. It’s really odd because most professional companies I am aware of have really become “employee aware” and try to help their employees. It’s both, much more profitable and productive to work with and retain dependable, trained staff than it is to alienate and lose good talent. So, I don’t really understand promoting or even condoning an abusive working structure in todays challenging economic environment. You’re a law student. Are you able to consult one of your professors, perhaps one that specializes in employment law for counsel?

Latest posts

Back