Newbie prepper with a different take.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quackquack

Reaction score
hiyer guys good to be here. so this long disorganized rant is part introduction part sharing my plan, part random thoughts and part requesting ideas...... so buckle up and here we go.

So im a brand new prepper, Ive mostly just been hoarding tinned food and water for now for me and my family. my problem is damned hard if not impossible to prepare for, i am of course talking about climate change (if you're a climate science denier then that's your right but ive heard all your arguments before and dont need to hear them again) its difficult to prep for because its an ever worsening relentless situation that changes the environment you are trying to survive in as it advances over the years, the rate of advancement also ever increases with time.
but i did have a thought that maybe when civilization collapses as it inevitably will i will have a preplanned hiding place somewhere for me and my folks with a LOT of food and water already stored there underground or whatever. ok so we hide out there hopefully for a year. when we emerge the population has been greatly reduced from starvation and fighting. and we then survive off of whatever we can make of our own agriculture and bug hunting/foraging. im prepared for the fact that probably all wildlife but small critters will be dead, long wiped out by an island population desperately trying to survive and eating everything. deer, rabbits and the like i wouldnt expect to see on such a small island. They do report though that climate change will be highly favorable to many types of weeds, and many weeds are edible and nutritious so probably many of those will be around.

by the way I am not a fan of bugging in in a complete collapse of civilization scenario. marauders will systematically go door to door taking everything by force and probably enslaving people and then later eating people.

a few things. in Ireland its difficult to get a gun but im working on it, for now i have a bow and arrows. Ireland also isnt a great place for hiding as it isnt a big place (although the population is also small) it doesn't have many mountains, caves, forests, has no catacombs and no elaborate sewer systems like NY or las vegas. in fact a lot of the "wilderness" here is quite bare which is crap for someone trying to hide. im trying to think outside the box as much as possible and i've come up with a few ideas but considering the time frame its not going to be that easy to be 100% ready, civilization is expected to completely collapse around 2040 or sooner based on scientific projections.

one interesting note is that according to one study ireland after a complete societal collapse apparently may be able to recover society to an extent, a simpler one where most people work on farming and we go back to using horse and oxen. the other places were the uk, new zealand, tasmania and iceland. the us and canada also featured on the list but lower down.
Personally i think that study is full of quite a lot of crap, because to me anywhere that is doing less badly will get invaded by a superpower and then probably other superpowers will fight to own that spot. a collapse of society will probably mean the nukes finally get fired and then it is definitely game over for all. Its expected that due to extreme environmental stresses the usa will invade canada, china will invade russia. britain or another european country may well invade ireland. a war between pakistan and india is inevitable also. in these scenarios the nukes are bound to go bang.

So in summary from all i understand of our situation i dont expect me and my family to see old age very sadly. Im not getting into prepping expecting to live a long fulfilling life. But i must say i would like for us to survive that initial collapse, maybe we will squeeze a few more years outta life than most other people with any luck.

any thoughts and i especially wanna hear if you have hiding place ideas. im very interested.
Cheers
Dean

Welcome from Kansas USA. If you have farmland, use it. But I'm not sure what you're meaning thinking the SHTF will happen because of climate change, and then you have to hide with tinned food, and then you can come out from hiding when most people die off? Why would people die off? What would be different for you after they die off that you can come out of hiding? If the climate changed enough to kill people, why wouldn't it kill you?

Welcome from Kansas USA. If you have farmland, use it. But I'm not sure what you're meaning thinking the SHTF will happen because of climate change, and then you have to hide with tinned food, and then you can come out from hiding when most people die off? Why would people die off? What would be different for you after they die off that you can come out of hiding? If the climate changed enough to kill people, why wouldn't it kill you?
i dont have farmland right now but i am hoping before shtf that i can move somewhere out of the way with a few acres thatd make my task a lot easier. it isnt the climate that would kill people to start with it would be the breakdown of civilization and complex supply chains caused by various factors including climate change, we will call this phase 1 of the disaster here MIT Predicted in 1972 That Society Will Collapse This Century. New Research Shows We’re on Schedule. so suddenly society is completely uprooted. nobody can drive their cars anymore, shelves empty. what happens next will soon turn very ugly unless society can swiftly turn to ox, horse and manpower farms. and somehow get produce to people pretty swiftly which maybe it could happen but i dont think it could happen without a lot of death first. thats what i want to avoid. so maybe ireland can survive for some time after with a much more basic society and most likely with a lower population. but going forward after that even if it works there is the slower creeping phase 2 of the disaster. each growing season will progressively get harder, the conditions for growing progressively more impossible as climate change advances and advances. and also theres the distinct possibility of nukes being used or ireland getting invaded. i want to survive phase 1 of this disaster and see what its like after. i have no illusions of being able to survive climate change and all its many effects forever.

Last edited:
Howdy from Georgia!
With Ireland being mostly rural farmland I think many people there will do quite well.
What country do you think wants to invade Ireland? The Romans didn't even try.

britain most likely if i had to guess. they have a much larger population and are at least half dependent on food imports. imports that would stop once global supply chains break down. but who knows maybe an eu country would have a go at us, maybe the us or russia who knows.
yes ireland is mostly farmland but when global societal collapse happens suddenly theres no fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides and the tractors stop moving. we can switch to horse and ox and human power but that will take quite a while to adjust. in the meantime its gonne be very chaotic. also the land will get harder to work as climate change and all its many effects progress. i do have some hope in greenhouse growing, seems like it might be more reliable under the circumstances. but we could never switch 100% to this after societal collapse especially

Last edited:
Welcome from another island in the EU which isn't EU member ;)

Welcome

Thoughts? Prepping without a firearm is prepping for someone else.

@Schattentarn

To get a gun in Europe is a big problem in general. Since long time Brussels try to disarm every citizen in Europe. Yes, it's possible to buy some firearms, but the forms to fill out and questions you need to answer are worse than you'll travel in the USA as Taliban. There as well are in meantime problems to wear an knife. The allowed ones going every year shorter and less sharp. Knifes i bought as legal to wear turn into illegal within the last 3 years.
And since our beloved swiss government decided to take over the EU laws even we aren't in EU it's gone worse.

But..... Bows and crossbows are defined as "sporting tool". An machete is defined as "garden tool". An sharp Katana or sword i can't own as decoration, but if i do "cutting tests" from time to time it's and "sporting tool" again.

Don't ask me about the logic behind, i'm not smart enough to get it.

Welcome from another island in the EU which isn't EU member ;)

@Schattentarn

To get a gun in Europe is a big problem in general. Since long time Brussels try to disarm every citizen in Europe. Yes, it's possible to buy some firearms, but the forms to fill out and questions you need to answer are worse than you'll travel in the USA as Taliban. There as well are in meantime problems to wear an knife. The allowed ones going every year shorter and less sharp. Knifes i bought as legal to wear turn into illegal within the last 3 years.
And since our beloved swiss government decided to take over the EU laws even we aren't in EU it's gone worse.

But..... Bows and crossbows are defined as "sporting tool". An machete is defined as "garden tool". An sharp Katana or sword i can't own as decoration, but if i do "cutting tests" from time to time it's and "sporting tool" again.

Don't ask me about the logic behind, i'm not smart enough to get it.
there is a path for me getting a basic shotgun, thats really all i would need, but it probably will take a fair bit of time and time is not on my side. there are a few countries in the eu where apparently getting a gun isnt too difficult. finland and czech republic spring to mind. Ireland on the other hand is one of the more difficult places. as tyrannical as the us government is i bloody envy their second amendment rights.

so am i understanding right from you that switzerland is now clamping down on gun ownership? if so your country really needs to protest that to the last man.

Unfortunately we're having the same problems as other countries have as well: Our gov has other ideas than the citizens and if the voting result isn't as the gov like it then they just "forget" to follow the results or it takes decades to follow them. As the results are as the gov like it the laws are in next day.
Since years our gov would like to become an member of the EU (because there are those very well paid money-for-nothing-jobs) but the citizens don't want. It may looks everything peacefull from outside, but we have our fights with the gov too. If you see open fights in Switzerland it's already to late.

read past your intro paragraph - couple of words into your rant and I find "hoarding" - if you think your prepping is hoarding >> good chance the rest of your rant isn't worth reading ....

Is the goods you are BUYING and STOCKPILING readily available to everyone else? - Are you dis-advantaging anybody by buying these readily available goods? - If you do happen to buy the last off the shelf does the shelf get re-filled?

Look up the definition of hoarding >> it's not a synonym for stockpiling, prepping or bulk buying ....

It's not just a poor choice of words if you actually think you are hoarding and won't be defending what you are doing - because you're going down the wrong path otherwise and wasting everyone's time including your own ...

I thought that livestock contributed significantly to greenhouse gas emissions? Cattle, Horses, Oxen, would all fall into things that would likely be highly regulated for greenhouse gas control, with ownership being frowned upon and numbers being significantly reduced, if not outright banned without a government permit, between now and your time frame of 2040. I would not count on their availability for aiding in food production after TSHTF in your scenario because they would be consumed to near the point of extinction.

I am an agro-forestry farmer, that uses many “sustainable” methods. I can tell you that you cannot realistically expect to take a way of producing food that took 10,000 years to develop, and then expect to insert government connected autocrats who have more money invested in luncheons and fancy degrees from Ivy league schools, than in farm machinery, make changes to the system within an 8 year period.

The changes they are proposing will significantly reduce yields and distribution, reduce the amount of land being used in food production, reduce the number of working farmers while increasing population dependence for food. The result is near term global food shortages.

From where I am standing, climate change is not your most immediate threat.

The “cures” I am seeing being proposed, are highly likely to most immediately CAUSE, that which everyone worried about with the effects of climate change and accomplish it in a much shorter timeframe! The cures are worse than the disease.

I would highly suggest that your time frame for completing your preps is much shorter than you have alluded to and would suggest changing your focus from 2040 to dealing with the end result of SHTF within the next five years.

Last edited:
read past your intro paragraph - couple of words into your rant and I find "hoarding" - if you think your prepping is hoarding >> good chance the rest of your rant isn't worth reading ....

Is the goods you are BUYING and STOCKPILING readily available to everyone else? - Are you dis-advantaging anybody by buying these readily available goods? - If you do happen to buy the last off the shelf does the shelf get re-filled?

Look up the definition of hoarding >> it's not a synonym for stockpiling, prepping or bulk buying ....

It's not just a poor choice of words if you actually think you are hoarding and won't be defending what you are doing - because you're going down the wrong path otherwise and wasting everyone's time including your own ...

well stockpiling, hoarding to me they're similar. i like the word hoarding, i like the way it sounds. anyway no i havent bought every last one of any particular item. that'd be impossible on my limited budget.

I thought that livestock contributed significantly to greenhouse gas emissions? Cattle, Horses, Oxen, would all fall into things that would likely be highly regulated for greenhouse gas control, with ownership being frowned upon and numbers being significantly reduced, if not outright banned without a government permit, between now and your time frame of 2040. I would not count on their availability for aiding in food production after TSHTF in your scenario because they would be consumed to near the point of extinction.

I am an agro-forestry farmer, that uses many “sustainable” methods. I can tell you that you cannot realistically expect to take a way of producing food that took 10,000 years to develop, and then expect to insert government connected autocrats who have more money invested in luncheons and fancy degrees from Ivy league schools, than in farm machinery, make changes to the system within an 8 year period.

The changes they are proposing will significantly reduce yields and distribution, reduce the amount of land being used in food production, reduce the number of working farmers while increasing population dependence for food. The result is near term global food shortages.

From where I am standing, climate change is not your most immediate threat.

The “cures” I am seeing being proposed, are highly likely to most immediately CAUSE, that which everyone worried about with the effects of climate change and accomplish it in a much shorter timeframe! The cures are worse than the disease.

I would highly suggest that your time frame for completing your preps is much shorter than you have alluded to and would suggest changing your focus from 2040 to dealing with the end result of SHTF within the next five years.
oh yeah absolutely. i wouldnt be surprised if tshtf this year, next year, could be any time now, my gut tells me it will be sooner than 2040 not later. yes you make a good point, with millions starving all the horses and oxen would be the first to go in a total breakdown. anyway what i imagine might happen providing nuclear war doesnt also break out would be a savage reduction in population of people followed by some time of entirely organic farming supplemented by greenhouses and with volunteers who are interested in living providing labor with the direction of talented organic farm instructors like say someone like Huw Richards.

Actually i was thinking earlier if only we could build enough greenhouses in time we could feed the world while also controlling the greenhouse temperature and light and then live in partially or completely buried houses to keep cool and get about via tunnel networks. what an adventure that would be? yeah it probably would become a drag after a while but it would beat going extinct at least.
was also thinking the most successful long term preppers in europe who arent billionaires would be people who happen to know the depths of the parisian catocombs well and can stock up on all the essentials of life.

Last edited:
Sounds like your immediate defense weapon would be a crossbow like previously stated. The size of tract needed to run cattle or sheep is significant. I would recommend chickens and rabbits. Maybe a pair of hogs like Noah had on the Arc. As also stated veggie gardens were in production long before chemical plants. Go the sustainable route. But a forced collapse by the NWO Will happen long before any climate change bullshit

Sounds like your immediate defense weapon would be a crossbow like previously stated. The size of tract needed to run cattle or sheep is significant. I would recommend chickens and rabbits. Maybe a pair of hogs like Noah had on the Arc. As also stated veggie gardens were in production long before chemical plants. Go the sustainable route. But a forced collapse by the NWO Will happen long before any climate change bullshit
i have archery equipment, crossbows too are controlled here in ireland and also air rifles. it really is that bad. i have plans hopefully to keep chickens and grow some crops although i need crops that will tolerate harsher conditions. really i would love to find community spirited people on the same page as me regarding all this. but i dont know, its not easy. Prepper communities in the US seem to be very far ahead of most other places. most people where i live i couldn't talk about "oh hey do you know we dont have much time left?" most people dont wanna hear that or talk about it, on some level they might sense things arent ok but they sure dont wanna talk about it. my own wife doesnt wanna hear about it, she thinks im being paranoid. but on some level she knows im right but all of this is too big for most to come to terms with. which is a shame because the more people accept this mess we are in the more resilient we could be in the face of it. i dont know about NWO and all that stuff, if by NWO you mean that the very wealthy in private have plans to save their own asses in luxury bunkers and screw everyone else then yes thats been confirmed. But i dont believe they have any grand scheme for us, theyl abandon us to our fate is all that will happen. they have luxury bunkers that have renewable energy, hydroponic food sources, water supplies, the latest in defense, elite military personnel to uphold security and tons of space for rich scumbags. they no longer need us. The only thing they might miss once were all dead is diddling peasant children. although actually they might have some hideous technical solution for that also, god knows.

Last edited:
Look up the World Economic Forum and read about them. They are ushering in the New World Order. They will post fluff about how "they" are saving the world with "green" tech, but don't let that fool you. Read their intentions for the rest of us in the world. It's not all about their luxury bunkers.

Look up the World Economic Forum and read about them. They are ushering in the New World Order. They will post fluff about how "they" are saving the world with "green" tech, but don't let that fool you. Read their intentions for the rest of us in the world. It's not all about their luxury bunkers.
Could you point me towards the sinister bits? i really have a lot on my plate and dont have time to do thorough research on yet another thing that dooms us. My belief is our days are severely numbered no matter what we do unless we are multi millionaires. By the way i am a huge fan of green tech but its too little too late we should have started getting serious about green tech in the 1960s for it to make a difference now.

Latest posts

Back