Get Home Bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh besides fire striker(s) matches and lighters..might want to go to places like wal mart and academy sports and other places that has fire starters that requires a lighter or match to light it...i was given 2 boxes of safe lite starter squares 2 or 3 christmases ago.each box of them are small and definitely lightweight.and idea for a bob and ghb..and easy to set on fire..there's 3 or 4 large squares to a box.and each large square breaks down into 4 smaller squares.and each one of them,can be broken down into thinner pieces.

I'd go for cotton balls and vaseline for fire starters. But carry 2 type of lighters. 1 windproof and 1 normal bic.

If I could get light anywhere matches, I'll take some tp, wrap around the match and soak in wax. I'd bring about 3-5 with me. I also carry 2-3 15min candles for good measure.

My GHB also carries a small vial of medical grade alcohol which is great for fires too.

Every thing is small and light with the simple mantra. 2 is one and one is none :p

I grabbed a couple of the really long picture frame cables for hanging on the wall, to use as snares for rabbits or other critters around my parts. They are nice and flat when coiled up N don't take up much room at all. Also I was at a local hardware store and found fire starter matches. They are about 4" long by half an inch wide and probably 1/4 inch thick. They say they'll burn for atleast 5 minutes more. So I grabbed a pack for $4 they seem to be made put of the same pressed material as those fireplace starter blocks.

If we venture out we take our full BOB, we also have two empty camelbak packs in the truck if for some reason we have to travel light and fast we will pull a few things out of the bigger packs and load into the smaller packs. Since we don't know what situation we may face giving our geographics we take our full BOBs

This is the pack I keep in one of the trucks, this is basically my no BS GHB when I am out in the back country by myself otherwise we take our full BOB, this bag weighs in at 38lbs loaded w/3L of water

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

If I may ask? What is the name and/or specs on your backpack, please?

Would most people be better served having a basic GHB rather than a BOB?

I think so.

Could your GHB be part of your BOB on the larger scale?

Mine certainly is. It's kind of a GHB/BOB. Primary purpose to get me home, but made for staying out there too.

o most people need a BOB or are they setting themselves up for failure?

Even if one has never camped, having some tools is certainly more helpful than harmful. Depends on the person though. Some will adapt well, some won't.

Are they living in a fantasy thinking they will live off the land? Most people have never eaten an animal that they have not gotten from the local grocery store. What makes them think they will walk into the woods and magically become Daniel Boone?

TV, movies. However, necessity will take over. May make mistakes on the way, but a starving human will go to any length to get food. Learn or starve. Just like how many people will even know what local plants to eat (or avoid), or even consider eating non-traditional foods such as insects, birds, lizards, frogs, or snakes, etc.

We have had a bunch of discussions on BOB or GHB's. I've taken the liberty to post most of them here for you. Hope you have the time to go through them all, most are full of information. For medical trauma bags...give me a PM..I can give you a list of those that I recommend and ones I would deep six in the Pacific Ocean. As for me, I've got different bags for different purposes...example a bag specific to mountaineering/rappelling, NBC-Epi Bag, specific for WMD/Pandemic Response. I guess you would refer to them as your kit.

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/need-opinions-on-a-bag.4686/

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/b-o-b-thoughts.4703/

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/lets-see-some-bags.4696/

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.co...l-ghb-that-will-go-inside-my-school-bag.4608/

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/show-us-your-bob-ghb-good.1750/

Give AGP a PM on his BOB...its a bit expensive.

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/help-a-newbie-pick-a-bug-out-bag.3959/

http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-bug-out-bags.198/

Finally started my GHB yesterday, mostly out of extra preps I had from working on our BOBs. It's not in a quality bag; I had an old school backpack laying around but I'll most likely only need to get to my house from work. I need to try and clock the distance next time I drive there. My route takes me over two rivers so the next thing I need for the bag is a Lifestraw but I've got enough food to make it back if I leave hungry, a change of clothes, a fixed-blade knife, a folder, and a tomohawk, as well as some paracord, firestarter sticks, lighter, taclight, signal mirror. I have moved a good pair of shoes to the vehicle in case something happens and I'm out in flip-flops or dress shoes. My work shoes are not the best for walking either, so I made sure to get spare shoes and socks.

As a newbie to prepping, this kicked the legs right out from underneath me (good thing) and shoved some hard questions right in my face.

Thanks!

As a newbie to prepping, this kicked the legs right out from underneath me (good thing) and shoved some hard questions right in my face.

Thanks!

Hey buck up tr2212, not all is gloom and doom...start small, we all were in the same position as you one time or another. Some of us have been doing preps for a long time, everyone has their pros and cons, weakness and strengths. Some lack storage space, some don't have land, some don't have money, but make do with what they can, some simply don't have time. You name it, thier is always something that you can be doing to better strengthen your preps. For me, my real home is in a suburban development, pretty hard to practice some of the stuff that some of my friends get to do, so its what you make of prepping that counts! Take a look at your successes, based on the feedback, you've met some good prep people, you've got some answers to your questions and you know where we are at. If you need to get more advice and well, not wanting to toot DPF's horn, but I can't think of better people who will give you honest-gut feedback on your questions. One or many will give you a ton of answers, then all you have to do is pick the one that suits you just fine. Hence, why I placed all those threads, just trying to save you some time there, its not meant to intimidate you. If anything else, go to the forum called Prep101. It is really to help new preppers find answers.

So smile and have a wonderful day

Also maybe a roll of toilet paper.
If you go to an auto parts store, you can find blue paper towels. They are cotton-like and work like a million bucks for that. Traditional TP doesn't last long in a pack, you would likely have to rotate it out every couple months at best. Check those blue paper towels. I pull of about 10 and fold them. They last for a long long time and are soft. They also make excellent fire starting material.

Don't forget a handgun. At least a handgun. I know you live in Illinois, but unless you are a felon, there really aren't any good reasons to not have a firearm. There are myriad reasons to have one, and the only one I can think of for not.

I keep a flattened TP small roll in a ziploc bag. Not a bad idea on the shop towels though (the blue ones).

Latest posts

Back