Get Home Bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my self protection is far more important than some silly company rule. If the firearm is hidden in your car, and you keep your mouth shut, how the hell would your employer find about it?
A few years ago I was working in the Bakken oil field when one of my employees was walking across the drilling pad in front of me when a hand gun fell out of his bag. Even though the company had a strict no (anti) gun policy I chose to look the other way and told him to be more careful, because he could scratch the finish.

Yeah believe me I've thought about it. Just worried as my car is left unattended for 12+ hours... :/

Lock box cabled to the underside of the drivers seat. Thief would need to be carrying cable cutters to remove or drill to break open the lock box. Not very expensive but very secure. Drive off campus and then remove pistol from lock box. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Yeah believe me I've thought about it. Just worried as my car is left unattended for 12+ hours... :/
Look harder, there are plenty of places to hide a pistol (carbine even) in a car that will not be found. It won't be quick access, but you will know it's there when you need it. Even if you have to remove a door panel, it's worth it, but what are the chances of it being found under your spare tire in the first place?

Carried by 6 or judged by 12. Worst case... it's only a job.

Look harder, there are plenty of places to hide a pistol (carbine even) in a car that will not be found. It won't be quick access, but you will know it's there when you need it. Even if you have to remove a door panel, it's worth it, but what are the chances of it being found under your spare tire in the first place?

Carried by 6 or judged by 12. Worst case... it's only a job.
Thanks for the info.
Problem is, it's also a medical license which is governed by administrative court. Have watched fellow practitioners get crucified for less things and have their license suspended. Unfortunately its a bit more than just a job for me. Not that I would plan on telling anyone about it. Just a lot of crime in the area with break ins - so the cable idea to the underside of the seat is a good idea I hadn't thought of.

As far as the original Get Home Bag? I’ve carried one faithfully for years. My husband too. We get them out and review them on a schedule once a month. Beyond all the regular stuff in them I have walking shoes and several pair of socks as well as bags of nuts, high energy bars and water flavorings with extra energy products in them.

What interesting items do you guys have in yours?

We had a 3/8 thick black oxidized stainless steel lockbox installed in the trunk bolted to the body skeleton frame where she keeps cash, handgun and two mags, she accesses it by lowering one half of the rear seat, she doesn't have to leave the car to access it, lay back the driver seat, turn around and push the button and the back seat lowers giving access to the door of the security box, opening the trunk one cant see the box, when she goes to the university it's where she keep it at.

Last edited:
I have a selection of "get home" stuff in our SUV.

I have a folding bicycle (see below):
Holl-17_FoldingBike-H-copy.jpg

download.jpeg

I also have lightweight raingear, a mosquito suit, and the knapsack with all my stuff. I have spare innertubes for the bike, a compact air pump, tools to replace the innertubes, and so on. Also, a spare bike chain.

My pack has a water filter, collapsible water containters, a small, one-man bivouac tent, peanut butter, first aid stuff, my Beretta 92 Compact, 100 rounds of hydrashock rounds, and so forth.

The bike is important, as it lets me cover more ground without gasoline, it's quiet, I can fold up and take it indoors with me if I go somewhere (so it doesn't get stolen), I can fold it up and easily put it in someone's car if I hitch a ride from someone, and I can fold it up and bring it with me on public transpotation. It is also--unlike most cars--immune to EMP.

A bike is great for a survivor, as it can be carried through water and over obstacles, it can be ridden between cars in a blocked-up road, and so forth.
P.S. Added later--I got these pics of the Internet, as I have problems with my camera phone, so this isn't the exact model of bike that I have, but the design of my cheaper bike is the same.

I have a selection of "get home" stuff in our SUV.

I have a folding bicycle (see below):
View attachment 11058
View attachment 11059

I also have lightweight raingear, a mosquito suit, and the knapsack with all my stuff. I have spare innertubes for the bike, a compact air pump, tools to replace the innertubes, and so on. Also, a spare bike chain.

My pack has a water filter, collapsible water containters, a small, one-man bivouac tent, peanut butter, first aid stuff, my Beretta 92 Compact, 100 rounds of hydrashock rounds, and so forth.

The bike is important, as it lets me cover more ground without gasoline, it's quiet, I can fold up and take it indoors with me if I go somewhere (so it doesn't get stolen), I can fold it up and easily put it in someone's car if I hitch a ride from someone, and I can fold it up and bring it with me on public transpotation. It is also--unlike most cars--immune to EMP.

A bike is great for a survivor, as it can be carried through water and over obstacles, it can be ridden between cars in a blocked-up road, and so forth.
P.S. Added later--I got these pics of the Internet, as I have problems with my camera phone, so this isn't the exact model of bike that I have, but the design of my cheaper bike is the same.
Real neat. 👌

Real neat. 👌
Thank you. I've always thought that the bicycle is the most underrated piece of survival equipment.

I lived a bicycle lifestyle for years, and saved huge amounts of money on gasoline, car insurance, car repair, and registration fees.

I can cover about 100 miles per day on a bicycle. I once rode from Orlando, Florida, to Outh Beach, Miami, as part of an AIDS benefit ride (like a walkathon), which was 274 miles, in 3 days.

This means that I could cycle from Flirida to California in about a month (unless it's winter).

Last edited:
I've always thought that the bicycle is the most underrated piece of survival equipment.

I completely agree. A bicycle should be part of everybody's survival equipment. The problem I have always had is keeping air in the tires. When I was a kid riding a bike every day I never had to put air in the tires. Now the tires don't stay inflated more than a day.

Do you have any advice to solve this problem?

When I was a kid riding a bike every day I never had to put air in the tires. Now the tires don't stay inflated more than a day.

You've got three factors working together to cause that. First, your typical bicycle tires today don't hold nearly as much air as those tires you rode on as a kid. Two, the pressures are higher, and three the inner tubes are thinner. So you have less air to begin with, and it diffuses much more rapidly through the thin inner tubes at high pressure.

So....If you want to have tires that hold air longer, use fatter tires at lower pressure with thicker inner tubes.
It means more rolling resistance, but your ride will be much smoother... :)
I went up to 700x32 tires on my road bike and never had a flat again on the road. I forget what the size of the tires are on my 29er, but they barely fit the frame without rubbing.

I have a frame mounted pump, spare tube, and patch kit that I take with me. It only takes one time having to walk your bike miles home, LOL.

I'm still on the fence regarding bikes (for the State I'm in) while it may be practical in a lot of circumstances in many States it wouldn't be realistic here. I'm concerned in getting home after an earthquake thus a bike would be very very limited for the ammount of space it takes up, we have a lot of bridges with rivers under them thus will stop you in your tracks, then we have a lot of landslides that takes out rural roads and highways. Washington has over 7 thousand bridges, on I-5 Washington has 12 bridges that pass over water and two areas of slides, taking rural roads are worse in many cases. How much time do you want to waste putting a raft together so you can float a bike across the river? plus you got to take into account on how much debris would be floating down these rivers after a quake? Some of these river have a high CFM flow.

All the bridges in Washington failed the earthquake stress test above 6.5, Only State bridges were slated for seismic retrofit in the 1990s, but so far, only a third have been fixed in the Seattle area (square box on map) No retrofitting on County or City bridges

All the white dots on the map need retrofitted, that's a lot of bridges, a lot of bridges on I-5, might as will ride the bike across a mind field, you really got to think through the what-if's and plan for using your own two feet meaning a dam good pair of broken-in hiking boots, really study your geographics before deciding on anything.

eq.jpg

I completely agree. A bicycle should be part of everybody's survival equipment. The problem I have always had is keeping air in the tires. When I was a kid riding a bike every day I never had to put air in the tires. Now the tires don't stay inflated more than a day.

Do you have any advice to solve this problem?
Keep bike in a cooler place. Tubes are thinner than they used to be. Find a thicker tube. Make sure your stem isn't loose. Check your rubber rim guard strip, replace with a thicker strip,

Keep bike in a cooler place. Tubes are thinner than they used to be. Find a thicker tube. Make sure your stem isn't loose. Check your rubber rim guard strip, replace with a thicker strip,
There are many measures that can be taken to manage tire pressure problems.

There are Kevlar tire liners that can be used inside the tire, use puncture-resistant inner tubes, have your bike wheels professionally "trued," and inflate to the appropriate pressure.

Using quality tires, innertubes, and using proper installation techniques will go a long way toward helping pressure problems.

Don't compare a walmart bike to a quality bike from a specialty bike shop.

A high-quality bike pays dividends in terms of saving gas money, and lowering your risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and obesity . . . so it's worth it if you spend good money on a high quality bike.

Latest posts

Back