The Importance of Preparing to “Lose”

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're absolutely right MD. Sometimes I forget that many people live in more populated areas than I do.
Unfortunately i need to stay in business a few years more until i'm retired (if it's still money around then). And my customers prefer an easy way to reach me, so i need to stay closer to the people as i like.

Unfortunately i need to stay in business a few years more until i'm retired (if it's still money around then). And my customers prefer an easy way to reach me, so i need to stay closer to the people as i like.
That could be a real dilemma. For many years I worked rotational jobs around the world. These jobs gave me 6-7 months vacation every year, and allowed me to live anywhere I wanted. It also enabled me to retire in my mid 50's. Because of covid restrictions on flying, and her company's mandate, my wife decided to quit her job rather than complying. So now she's retired, even younger than I was.

Last edited:
I have had neighbors ask me in a low level emergency (no power for a couple days) to use my shower because I have backup power. NO, fix your diesel back up generator! And we live on 20a very rural lots.

I have my Bug In preps for however the increasing 1 1/2 + amount of time.
I have my Evac preps for about a month.

The scenario was if you lost it all.
Still say everything is fair game because if it comes to this, nice guys won’t survive.

Don't confuse nice with weakness. I'm far from being weak. But I will help deserving people as much as possible.
And I am sure the rancher around here is too. I always figured I would keep track of the unbranded I took. If things ever got back to normal after this.
I have limited my neighbor help to a couple of families. Most importantly an 80 yr old couple that have lived up here for 50 years.

Hey I was going to my situation and adapting your scenario.
The rancher leases a 50k Acre park and who knows how many Acre watershed property. He probably lives 20 miles away by roads. Nice guy, his daughter not so much. I very rarely see anyone from there.
He probably doesn’t even know his current head count. I could go back up in that watershed property and find some pockets of hunting camps. I know there are some old chuck wagon wrecks back there.
My main point was know your area for this EOTWAWKI scenario. Everything is fair game then.
I just know that when the chips are down, a lot of people change. That congenial guy you know can become a total ### hole when he realizes that the SHTF. Right now, things are still okay, no one is going to starve and you aren't asking to take food out of his kids or grandkids mouths. I wouldn't count on anyone being as generous as they are now.

When push comes to shove, many people will go mentally nuts, I would say 75% of people who go nuts when their iPhone and FB stop working.
The first 1 to 2 weeks after the SHTF are the most dangerous, sheep go crazy, if you survive the first 1 to 2 weeks until the sheep have killed each other, you have a good chance of continuing to live.
The first two to three weeks after the SHTF are going to be ugly as a whole, and there are probably some preppers who will die if they can't take such scenes.

When push comes to shove, many people will go mentally nuts, I would say 75% of people who go nuts when their iPhone and FB stop working.
The first 1 to 2 weeks after the SHTF are the most dangerous, sheep go crazy, if you survive the first 1 to 2 weeks until the sheep have killed each other, you have a good chance of continuing to live.
The first two to three weeks after the SHTF are going to be ugly as a whole, and there are probably some preppers who will die if they can't take such scenes.
I agree 100%, for the cities and highly populated areas. That's why I chose to live in a sparsely populated area. Most people around here can take care of themselves. Plus they'll help out others in need too.

I agree 100%, for the cities and highly populated areas. That's why I chose to live in a sparsely populated area. Most people around here can take care of themselves. Plus they'll help out others in need too.

I am "betting" on that as well, but, I also do not fool myself into thinking that greed does not exist in the rural areas as well as the cities and burbs or that just because someone lives in a rural area they are really prepared for what is coming.

Suddenly having your well-being threatened does funny things to people, we saw it during COVID and, unfortunately, with the current circumstances of "wokeness" and all of the other garbage out there. Very few were willing to give up their jobs to stand on principle. What will they do when the cost might be the well-being of a loved one?

I expect my mindset will change when TSHTF. I will start to wonder exactly how well do I know that guy and his wife up the road....I don't know his brother, his son and his wife, her parents, his cousin and his 5 friends; all of whom are now living at their place.

I have to trust that all of them are also good people...but, are they? I have to trust that none of them will crack under the pressure.

Latest posts

Back