Home insurance for preppers?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. But we could have some serious disasters between now and SHTF. My #1 fear here is fires. A few years ago fire completely destroyed one of our property's. It burned every single twig and tree, probably $2-300,000 worth of timber, which wasn't insured. Two years ago a large fire burned to within 1/2 mile from our home place.

That sucks!!
We dont have to many problems with fires here in Southeast Texas between all the rain and humidity.
They do happen occasionally but they usually get them under control quickly.

That sucks!!
We dont have to many problems with fires here in Southeast Texas between all the rain and humidity.
They do happen occasionally but they usually get them under control quickly.
Where we live we get little to no rain from June, July, August, and September. Humidity is usually around 10-15% much of the summer. When we do get a thunderstorm it usually doesn't rain, just dry lightning which starts lots of fires. Every year we hope for a heavy snow pack and that it melts off slowly in spring.

Where we live we get little to no rain from June, July, August, and September. Humidity is usually around 10-15% much of the summer. When we do get a thunderstorm it usually doesn't rain, just dry lightning which starts lots of fires. Every year we hope for a heavy snow pack and that it melts off slowly in spring.

We had a weekend place on the South Llano river which is in west Texas and it's semi arid lots of cactus but tons of spring fed rivers.
We'd get 16 inches of rain a year on average but it only rained like three times a year.
Of course this brought on flash floods.
We'd get a call from our neighbors who lived about 10 miles up river letting us know the water was coming our way.
The water would go from waist deep to 30 foot deep in about 20 minutes.
Really cool to watch but you wouldnt want to get caught on the river in a kayak or canoe.

We had a weekend place on the South Llano river which is in west Texas and it's semi arid lots of cactus but tons of spring fed rivers.
We'd get 16 inches of rain a year on average but it only rained like three times a year.
Of course this brought on flash floods.
We'd get a call from our neighbors who lived about 10 miles up river letting us know the water was coming our way.
The water would go from waist deep to 30 foot deep in about 20 minutes.
Really cool to watch but you wouldnt want to get caught on the river in a kayak or canoe.

Have you ever harvested and eaten the cactus?

Have you ever harvested and eaten the cactus?

Nah...you can buy it at grocery stores in Texas and I was never to fond of it.
Now the red fruit on them is pretty tasty but not so much that I'd go out and harvest the stuff or buy it.
The prickly pear was mainly cattle food when things ran short,the ranchers wood go out and burn the needles off with a propane torch so the cattle could eat it. It also helped in times of drought since the prickly pear stores a shit load of water.

Nah...you can buy it at grocery stores in Texas and I was never to fond of it.
Now the red fruit on them is pretty tasty but not so much that I'd go out and harvest the stuff or buy it.
The prickly pear was mainly cattle food when things ran short,the ranchers wood go out and burn the needles off with a propane torch so the cattle could eat it. It also helped in times of drought since the prickly pear stores a shit load of water.

They would be a good nutritious source of food after a severe SHTF event.

I don't know where to put this so I will put here because insurance is a big part. On August 14 around 0400 I had a massive heart attack. I was having some heartburn and then it became like I held my breath too long. Can't breathe. Inhale half a thimble of air, exhale even less. Stagger around, Knock things over. Wake wife. "Emergency room!" I squeak. I live way out in the country. No ambulance. Long, long drive to town. Agony, knowing I was dying. Finally got to small clinic. I got put on Oxygen that saved my life. Ambulance called. Saturday night. Find driver and tech. Long wait. Another longer drive. Hospital staff does tests. Stints won't work. Need bigger hospital. Ambulance called. Blacked out.
Woke in ICU. Sternum chain sawed. Cuts and bruises all over. Terrible pain even through drugs. But I live. Triple bypass surgeries. Thousands and thousands of dollars in expenses every day. But I invested in good insurance. No financial worries at all. I am so humbled and grateful the way the community of friends and family came together for me. Everything taken care of. My new job is to get better. Maybe 4 to 6 months. Of all the prepping and stockpiling we do, NONE are as important as the relationships we develop. I just have to add, It a good idea to make some wise financial investments, too.

I don't know where to put this so I will put here because insurance is a big part. On August 14 around 0400 I had a massive heart attack. I was having some heartburn and then it became like I held my breath too long. Can't breathe. Inhale half a thimble of air, exhale even less. Stagger around, Knock things over. Wake wife. "Emergency room!" I squeak. I live way out in the country. No ambulance. Long, long drive to town. Agony, knowing I was dying. Finally got to small clinic. I got put on Oxygen that saved my life. Ambulance called. Saturday night. Find driver and tech. Long wait. Another longer drive. Hospital staff does tests. Stints won't work. Need bigger hospital. Ambulance called. Blacked out.
Woke in ICU. Sternum chain sawed. Cuts and bruises all over. Terrible pain even through drugs. But I live. Triple bypass surgeries. Thousands and thousands of dollars in expenses every day. But I invested in good insurance. No financial worries at all. I am so humbled and grateful the way the community of friends and family came together for me. Everything taken care of. My new job is to get better. Maybe 4 to 6 months. Of all the prepping and stockpiling we do, NONE are as important as the relationships we develop. I just have to add, It a good idea to make some wise financial investments, too.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. Having adequate medical insurance and medical care available to you is part of prepping for anything.

Good luck Dracos. I hope for a speedy recovery for you.
Since I'm turning 65 this month I'm on Medicare, no choice. Plus they automatically take out $170 per month. But wait....Commie Joe is going to give us a 10% raise on our SS checks, since he fuked up the economy so bad its the least he could do.

We have Statefarm at BOL1 but, will use a more farm friendly company for the Farm/BOL2.
State Farm was literally founded as a Farm Insurance company in Illinois. Slim pickings for more "farm friendly" companies. I showed this to my wife who has 30 years in the property/casualty insurance business and has worked for Farmers, State Farm, and a few Independents (brokers), she chuckled quietly. Here's some insurance "inside baseball", if you are not having your policies re quoted every six months you are throwing money down the drain.

When SHTF for real there will be no insurance, so I am missing the whole thing.
And if there are companies, the act of God will cover everything but war & they have a war clause.

* At home we use State Farm Insurance and have coverage for Home and Auto.
Life Insurance - left over 20-year term. I don't know that it's even any good anymore.
Genworth got bought out by some Chinese company...geez.
(I used to use USAA, but my wife had State Farm, so I nixed the duplication.)

* For the grocery store and the rest of the shopping center, we use Farmers Insurance and have coverage for Business Owners, Commercial General Liability, Commercial Property Insurance, an "Umbrella" policy, and Workers' Comp for our employees.
The HUGE benefit of coverage for the shopping center is the coverage for all our rooftop solar equipment and natural gas generators. The property policy also covers the buildings, sidewalks, parking lots and decks, store signs, trees, bushes, and other landscaping.

*Our facility is "self-insured," except for the solar and generators covered by the shopping center's policies. Our employees' insurance policies are either covered by the school or the shopping center. Some of the permanent facility staff are paid by the school because they are really providing educational services and the rest of the facility staff get paid out of the shopping center leasing office, because they do all that work too, it just doesn't require as much people power as is allocated on paper. The shopping center does sub out grass cutting, hedge trimming, walkway blowing, and the cleaning of common areas like the public restrooms and those folks are covered by their own insurance.

*The school insurance policies are the real pain. Not only are they expensive, but extensive. Anyone that tells you that you can "make money running a school" (if you do things well) is holding something back.
It's difficult to even break even.
We don't do buses and we don't do athletics so those are both huge cost savers for the budget and knock down our insurance costs considerably.
The school's insurance coverage includes "Liability," "Commercial Property" for fire, natural disasters, vandalism, etc. We do have two passenger vans for field trips, so we also have "Commercial Auto." The staff are covered by "Workers’ Comp," and an "Umbrella" policy for extra coverage just in case. Then there's health coverage which blows the roof off of school costs.

I rarely have gotten anything back claim-wise, but when you have a lot of people involved, especially children, you almost have to do insurance out the wazoo.

Last edited:
When SHTF for real there will be no insurance, so I am missing the whole thing.
And if there are companies, the act of God will cover everything but war & they have a war clause.
SHTF could be years away. I think it would be wise to carry some insurance until then.

Latest posts

Back