Who owns your water?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet another action by officials that show the low regard they have for food production.

This is a bit of a rant and a bit of alarm because it is happening in one of the largest agricultural states in our country. This particular instance is in “The Highland Lakes” region that supplies water to the city of Austin and the surrounding areas.

Once again, farmers are paying the price for city dewllers to have their water sucking green lawns, two showers a day and non native vegetation. They are paying the price for city officials to expand their tax base with these mega housing developments; 6 houses to an acre. Guess what?

Drought+uncontrolled growth = less food for the burgeoning population.

The Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex is actually trying to buy out (through emminent domain) thousands of acres to dam up another river and creat yet another resevoir. These are largely heritage farms and ranches, that have been in families often, since the west was still wild.

From the linked article:

“There are two types of customers the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) supplies water to – firm and interruptible.

Firm customers are mostly cities and water districts that are guaranteed water services.

Interruptible customers are agricultural customers that purchase water at a lesser rate and can have water access curtailed or cut off in times of drought.”

Drought causes water cutoffs for some LCRA customers through next year

Cities and “master planned” communities are often touted in the media as these bastions of environmental awareness and protection, whereby the rural areas, farmers and ranchers are the destroyers of worlds.

When we bought BOL1 the population of our postage listed town was just under 5,000. It is now over 80,000. Every time we go to town, I pass yet another lot being plowed under for another new strip mall or housing development.

The city planners give as much thought as to where they will get the water, as they do which pair of underwear they put on that morning.

They talk about how “locally sourced food” is an important measure in reducing “carbon emissions” and yet they handcuff the local farms.

Makes you wonder what the real motive is here. It has been said, control the food, control the people....to get food, you must have water....so what do you control when you control the water?

Last edited:
My little cabin community gets its water from a spring in the USFS. We have to pay them for the water which is about 100 yards outside the boundary of private ownership. Yet, the State of California claims absolute authority over this water and all water that falls onto California or comes to it in any way. They are thugs. Our only real protection from the State is the Fed. in my mind and the legal entanglements for the State in trying to regulate water on federal land.

My little cabin community gets its water from a spring in the USFS. We have to pay them for the water which is about 100 yards outside the boundary of private ownership. Yet, the State of California claims absolute authority over this water and all water that falls onto California or comes to it in any way. They are thugs. Our only real protection from the State is the Fed. in my mind and the legal entanglements for the State in trying to regulate water on federal land.

I had read a number of years ago, but can't remember now, I thought it was Washington State or Oregon, where people there had built a rainwater catchment pond on their property, and the state laid claim to it. Told them they couldn't use it or had to fill it in because the rain was property of the State. I think it went to court.

Don’t miss the above notice on water Arcticdude!
I haven't heard of this before. Fortunately I have the water rights to our pond, not sure about my well though. I'll have to look in to it. Usually Idaho does good job of protecting individual Rights, especially from the Feds. But things are changing, even here.

Latest posts

Back