The Importance of Preparing to “Lose”

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Years ago, someone once said to me what if you lose it all? Then what?

That was a wake up call for me in my preps. I started concentrating prepping less about the stuff in my pantry and more stuff between my ears.

My mother used to tell me that the reason education is valuable is because short of a serious brain injury, no one can take it away from you. I agree, except it isn’t formal education that provides the value, it is knowledge and experience beyond the classroom.

We tend to focus on our tangible preps. We have in mind a place where we can live and weather the storm; a BOL or BIL. A place where we have useful "stuff" and growing land that will get us through. Having a positive attitude of being able to use what you have to survive is important and brings a sense of security but, what if you lost it all?

Thinking the unthinkable is what preparedness is all about. Psychologically, it is very important.

Scenario:

You have lost your safe house to a superior force of raiders, government or neighbors.

No one nearby is willing to help or take you in (regardless of the skills you have)

Your food/supply caches have either been ruined by weather or vermin, found and taken or become inaccessible for one reason or another.

You have no vehicles or reference materials.

The landscape for at least 50 miles around has been stripped of non-toxic vegetation and game has been exhausted.

You and your group escaped with your lives but between all of you, you only have your clothing, footwear, a couple of knives and your skills.

There are too few of you left to have any hope of retaking your property by force. (3 adults and two children under 10)

I know you can argue that you would have emergency BOB that you could grab so would never be without, but, shit happens, and this is a near worst case scenario (you all still have your health), so let’s go with it.

Plan for the worst even when hoping for the best.

You have to plan to lose, as well as being hopeful you will “win”/retain what you have built.

You are now worse off than most refugees who at least were able to take along a few things, So…what would you do?

Last edited:
Having back up plan A and B is necessary to my mental health. Some folks can’t have those, but everyone should have at least one backup plan.

I have at least two but, I do not want to assume that those would be available either, having also been likewise situated. This is a worst case...where you must, find a way to survive with nothing going as planned.

You have lightweight clothes (not fair slipping a rain slicker in), shoes and two knives...that is it.
What would be the logical first step?
For example... garbage. Search for anything that can hold water. That, along with building a portable filter using said garbage, would buy you three days and the ability to travel outside of the immediate area. If you are in a desert, which I cannot see any prepper really choosing as a sustainable place to be, there would be the issue of accessing water in the first place.

There are steps that can be taken regardless of the specifics.
It is the difference between a prepper and survivalist mindset here.

Last edited:
This situation is THE why and where-fore I started prepping and learning survival back in 1974. I have the ability to recognise enough plants, catch enough animals, fish, build quick or long-term housing, weave warm blankets or mattresses from plants, make weapons, make tools, make fire, get water, hunt and cook with nothing but what I can find...
The only thing holding me back would be my weak better half. I spent 9 months living out of a backpack, with no tent, but that has been now 45 years ago. I still have an even better backpack with the same 100 lbs and better equipment than back then. I would not be HAPPY but I can and still could survive. I have 4 BOB in varied sizes and content, the smallest weighing in at 5 lbs and being quite enough to fish, trap, hunt and hide.
I need no meds, have no allergies, demand very little and have a lot. My mind and my mind-set are optimised.
I am also capable of taking lives to survive and re-take or re-gain needed equipment in the quiet of the night.
But...no man is an island, we all need to sleep and the world is full of high-tech, low-light visibility, long distance and high powered military equipment. Just the moving to and from a good hiding place in night or day will put your life in jepardy, building an above ground fire also, creating any smoke, noise, shining surface or contrast to the "normal" surroundings will get you found.
You will live in a cave, eat cold, drink cold, sleep cold and die cold eventually...WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER??? Live free, Die Free, Gary

Knowledge of surroundings comes into play here. Everyone’s area will be different.
3 spring fed ponds within mile. 2 reservoirs within 2 miles. Lots of free range cattle in between. (you only said no game) Find a place for shelter.

Right next to BOL2 is a 100 acre hay field with grazing cattle. This guy runs 5,000+ head all over the county and is considered a pretty big deal (you know the country song, famous friends?). Anyway, he lives a couple of miles from there, leases that land from his cousin. I would not want to be caught killing his cattle and woe be to anyone that tries to kill my horses....don't know if rustling would exactly be a good solution for a long life.

I'm just thinking about someone bringing their uninvited group to my pond or to my creek, on my land and how I might react to that?

Last edited:
This situation is THE why and where-fore I started prepping and learning survival back in 1974. I have the ability to recognise enough plants, catch enough animals, fish, build quick or long-term housing, weave warm blankets or mattresses from plants, make weapons, make tools, make fire, get water, hunt and cook with nothing but what I can find...
The only thing holding me back would be my weak better half. I spent 9 months living out of a backpack, with no tent, but that has been now 45 years ago. I still have an even better backpack with the same 100 lbs and better equipment than back then. I would not be HAPPY but I can and still could survive. I have 4 BOB in varied sizes and content, the smallest weighing in at 5 lbs and being quite enough to fish, trap, hunt and hide.
I need no meds, have no allergies, demand very little and have a lot. My mind and my mind-set are optimised.
I am also capable of taking lives to survive and re-take or re-gain needed equipment in the quiet of the night.
But...no man is an island, we all need to sleep and the world is full of high-tech, low-light visibility, long distance and high powered military equipment. Just the moving to and from a good hiding place in night or day will put your life in jepardy, building an above ground fire also, creating any smoke, noise, shining surface or contrast to the "normal" surroundings will get you found.
You will live in a cave, eat cold, drink cold, sleep cold and die cold eventually...WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER??? Live free, Die Free, Gary

Give me some discarded plastic shopping or garbage bags and I can make you a pretty warm coat and a blanket in less than an hour. Might not be for the arctic but, would do nicely in the southern half and coasts of the US.

You'd b stylin'!

Last edited:
Give me some discarded plastic shopping or garbage bags and I can make you a pretty warm coat and a blanket in less than an hour. Might not be for the arctic but, would do nicely in the southern half and coasts of the US.

You'd b stylin'!
If you can do that with plastic bags, then you could do the same with coyote, fox, beaver, coon or muskrat hides.

For myself prepare for the worst means prepare to loose everything except your life.
And this preparing starts in the own head, in the own mindset.
In this way i'm well prepared. Life teached me some hard lessons, so it's maybe easier for me to see what's luxury and what's necessary.

All the stuff i have for an SHTF i see as an small luxury to make my life lil bit more comfortable in the first time.

I think if the sheeples would accept all the material things are just things and not so much worth as freedom then the times we have now would be history soon. But they got well trained by the "leaders" in the way only material values are the real life and money is the real god.
In this way they will hold all the stuff they have even they realize they got less every day. When they lost everything includin freedom they will proably wake up - when it is almost too late.

Right next to BOL2 is a 100 acre hay field with grazing cattle. This guy runs 5,000+ head all over the county and is considered a pretty big deal (you know the country song, famous friends?). Anyway, he lives a couple of miles from there, leases that land from his cousin. I would not want to be caught killing his cattle and woe be to anyone that tries to kill my horses....don't know if rustling would exactly be a good solution for a long life.

I'm just thinking about someone bringing their uninvited group to my pond or to my creek, on my land and how I might react to that?
Hey I was going to my situation and adapting your scenario.
The rancher leases a 50k Acre park and who knows how many Acre watershed property. He probably lives 20 miles away by roads. Nice guy, his daughter not so much. I very rarely see anyone from there.
He probably doesn’t even know his current head count. I could go back up in that watershed property and find some pockets of hunting camps. I know there are some old chuck wagon wrecks back there.
My main point was know your area for this EOTWAWKI scenario. Everything is fair game then.

If you can do that with plastic bags, then you could do the same with coyote, fox, beaver, coon or muskrat hides.

Plastic bags tied together and stuffed with dry grass, leaves or pine straw, isn't quite as luxurious as furs. My problem with hides has always been the tanning part. When I scrape I tend to get too thin and make holes. Then, it also never seems to come out supple enough. What do you use to tan?

Last edited:
Plastic bags tied together and stuffed with dry grass, leaves or pine straw, isn't quite as luxurious as furs. My problem with hides has always been the tanning part. When I scrape I tend to get too thin and make holes. Then, it also never seems to come out supple enough. What do you use to tan?
I just use a commercial tanning solution. Brain tanning is a good way too, but kind of messy and it really stinks. I think the main problem people have with tanning is they don't break down the hide well enough. Find a good stout post and pull the hide back and forth over the post.
Of course a good tan starts with a properly fleshed hide. Just keep practicing. Use a good fleshing beam, sized for the hide, and a good two handled fleshing knife.
My wife fleshed her first coon hide this winter. She did a good job on it.

Hey I was going to my situation and adapting your scenario.
The rancher leases a 50k Acre park and who knows how many Acre watershed property. He probably lives 20 miles away by roads. Nice guy, his daughter not so much. I very rarely see anyone from there.
He probably doesn’t even know his current head count. I could go back up in that watershed property and find some pockets of hunting camps. I know there are some old chuck wagon wrecks back there.
My main point was know your area for this EOTWAWKI scenario. Everything is fair game then.

I guess I am just trying to avoid becoming so desperate as to become that which I loathe, mainly, raiders, thieves and opportunists.

It just sticks in my craw big time when I read posts on some prepping sites where people only focus on guns and combat tactics with the intent of taking what others worked and sacrificed to build.

You have a chance now, to think, prepare and learn, so that taking things from others that they worked hard for, does not become necessary in any foreseeable circumstance.

Last edited:
Choosing to prep to be a winner doesn't have to include plans to take or steal from other people. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever "need" to take something from another person. There are thousands of head of cattle around here. Every rancher here would be like me and protect every single cow/calf with deadly force, if need be. But almost every rancher would also share what they could with those that are truly in need.

You're blessed to have such an neighbourhood Arctic.
As closer you're to the "civilisation" as less you'll have this kind of people around you.
Would be an reason for me to move somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
You're absolutely right MD. Sometimes I forget that many people live in more populated areas than I do.

Latest posts

Back