Home insurance for preppers?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, but it will not protect you after the Fall.
I said "When SHTF" not before.
Actually I think we're already in the beginning stages of SHTF. It just doesn't look like what they portray in the movies or books. Its so slow moving that most people don't notice or care.

It's on. Ads are hit n miss here and I don't have an issue online anywhere else with pop ups. Weird! Oh well..I don't think I've been "sweating to the oldies" lately! Maybe I need to! ..haaašŸ˜†

You might want to try a newer version.
I dont get pop ups here.

Look ahead at where we are going.

If we assume there is a collapse and chaos, where will that leave the insurance industry?
Let's begin with the assumption that their investment portfolio is in a combination of stocks/bonds and lots of real estate.

In the financial collapse the stocks and bonds will be zero.
The real estate market will be around zero.

The insurance industry will holler force majeure, act of war as well as the result of rioting every chance they have.
They will also have a contingency plan to transfer some real estate and then declare bankruptcy.
They will begin again as a new company after the chaos settles down.

So now let's go back to the opening question posed by ParryG.
Are you referring to the short period before the collapse or during the collapse?
In a shtf fan situation there will be no insurance. What we will have is all we will have. But for most everything short of that, fires, car accidents, medical emergencies, insurance is damn handy to have.

In a shtf fan situation there will be no insurance. What we will have is all we will have. But for most everything short of that, fires, car accidents, medical emergencies, insurance is damn handy to have.

Almost every insurance company has an "Underwriter", another organization, bank or finance institution that backs the policy. Kind of like the FDIC does for bank accounts. The underwriter sets the rates, qualifications and rules.

If the banks, stock market and currency are messed, so are the insurance companies with very few exceptions (those who are their own underwriters may have a chance)...which means, your policy has more value as spare toilet paper.

Guess who one of the largest underwriters for insurance companies is? Blackrock. Comforting isn't it?

It's not often I get the chance to pass along info that significantly effects lives.
There was no sign of a hurricane back on July 28th, but providentially, ParryG
asked us about insurance?
It got me thinking about my own insurance and I popped off a message to all our partners that same night. I listed my policy coverages including homeowners with flood and wind, life insurance, auto, liability, and umbrella.
When we had a partner's meeting about a week later (with a rep from each family,) I was heartened that most had actually done a review of their policies. I think that most of those who hadn't bothered, DID look at their coverage after that - based on comments I've gotten.
Now I've been accused of being a "fortune-teller" for anticipating IAN. Thank you ParryG !
The additional coverage didn't prevent the heartache of homes damaged by trees, debris, and in some cases several feet of nasty water, but it sure helps. This storm surprised us all and it will be many months before we recover...and even longer until the coastal regions see anything like normal. The losses and cleanup really suck, but maybe for the first time, insurance was really worth it?!

Latest posts

Back