Get Home Bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.
Problem is, it's also a medical license which is governed by administrative court. Have watched fellow practitioners get crucified for less things and have their license suspended. Unfortunately its a bit more than just a job for me. Not that I would plan on telling anyone about it. Just a lot of crime in the area with break ins - so the cable idea to the underside of the seat is a good idea I hadn't thought of.
There are biometric lockboxes available at a reasonable price that will open to your fingerprint.

No fumbling around, no remembering combinations, and only you can access the firearm.

If you decide to go with a double action revolver, a Smith and wesson K frame (or larger) can be fitted with a Magna lock. This means that you wear two magnetic rings (one on each hand), and gun will only shoot for you. If a criminal takes your gun, it won't fire because (s)he is not wearing the rings.

This arrangement is really good if you have kids, but--obviously--such devices don't replace the rules of gun safety.

PS: If you're concerned about a gun accidentally going off when you carry (and you shouldn't--not with any firearm in good repair, or any decent holster), then load your gun with dummy snap cap inert, plastic cartridges. You'll be able to see if your gun fired or not.

Just don't get the "Miami Vice" style horizontal shoulder holster. The gun points at anyone behind you.

I do have such a holster, but only for if I'm carrying a heavy, bulky, backpack. The horizontal position makes it easier to access the gun under these circumstances (limited shoulder movement because of pack straps), but this kind of holster is still a bad idea.

Last edited:
Kevin, if Crockett and Tubbs did it,it must be gooooood ;)
Yeah, right. I don't think that guns should be a fashion accessory. I understand barbeque guns (I have one myself), but that doesn't mean that I pick out a gun to go with a specific look like a pair of cufflinks or a fancy wristwatch. That isn't what guns are for.

I have a selection of "get home" stuff in our SUV.

I have a folding bicycle (see below):
View attachment 11058
View attachment 11059

I also have lightweight raingear, a mosquito suit, and the knapsack with all my stuff. I have spare innertubes for the bike, a compact air pump, tools to replace the innertubes, and so on. Also, a spare bike chain.

My pack has a water filter, collapsible water containters, a small, one-man bivouac tent, peanut butter, first aid stuff, my Beretta 92 Compact, 100 rounds of hydrashock rounds, and so forth.

The bike is important, as it lets me cover more ground without gasoline, it's quiet, I can fold up and take it indoors with me if I go somewhere (so it doesn't get stolen), I can fold it up and easily put it in someone's car if I hitch a ride from someone, and I can fold it up and bring it with me on public transpotation. It is also--unlike most cars--immune to EMP.

A bike is great for a survivor, as it can be carried through water and over obstacles, it can be ridden between cars in a blocked-up road, and so forth.
P.S. Added later--I got these pics of the Internet, as I have problems with my camera phone, so this isn't the exact model of bike that I have, but the design of my cheaper bike is the same.

Freaking cool and a great idea!!
Yeah, right. I don't think that guns should be a fashion accessory. I understand barbeque guns (I have one myself), but that doesn't mean that I pick out a gun to go with a specific look like a pair of cufflinks or a fancy wristwatch. That isn't what guns are for.

What is a BBQ gun? Sorry if it’s a silly question.

Freaking cool and a great idea!!

What is a BBQ gun? Sorry if it’s a silly question.
A barbeque gun is usually a visually impressive gun that has been accessorized with nicer grips, engraved scrollwork and/or filligree, decorative metal plating, and so on.

A barbeque gun is not to be confused with a "blinged out" pimp gun, which may have diamonds and/or other pecious stones.
BBQ-Grade-2_RS0221-featherercopy-768x388.jpg

download.jpeg

The top example is a barbeque gun, and the bottom examples are pimp guns.

As I ponder the differences between the two, I must admit that there may be some overlap . . . but a paramedic friend of mine has a truly obnoxious, diamond-covered, gold-plated Smith and Wesson revolver that he has a very practical use for.

His pimp gun is fitted with a magna lock safety device, which only fires if he has the magnetic rings on his fingers.

His (sick and twisted) logic is that if someone breaks into his home, he'll respond with his pimp gun. If he gets killed, he feels that it's likely that the criminal will pick up the blinged out gun because it's so sparkley. This criminal--when proceeding to the bedroom where his wife is--will be armed with a nonfunctional gun, and the sparkley, reflective, distinctive appearence of the gun lets the wife know that the husband is dead or incapacitated, so she can now grease the home invader with her shotgun while the criminal has a useless gun.

A barbeque gun is usually a visually impressive gun that has been accessorized with nicer grips, engraved scrollwork and/or filligree, decorative metal plating, and so on.

A barbeque gun is not to be confused with a "blinged out" pimp gun, which may have diamonds and/or other pecious stones.
View attachment 11069
View attachment 11070
The top example is a barbeque gun, and the bottom examples are pimp guns.

As I ponder the differences between the two, I must admit that there may be some overlap . . . but a paramedic friend of mine has a truly obnoxious, diamond-covered, gold-plated Smith and Wesson revolver that he has a very practical use for.

His pimp gun is fitted with a magna lock safety device, which only fires if he has the magnetic rings on his fingers.

His (sick and twisted) logic is that if someone breaks into his home, he'll respond with his pimp gun. If he gets killed, he feels that it's likely that the criminal will pick up the blinged out gun because it's so sparkley. This criminal--when proceeding to the bedroom where his wife is--will be armed with a nonfunctional gun, and the sparkley, reflective, distinctive appearence of the gun lets the wife know that the husband is dead or incapacitated, so she can now grease the home invader with her shotgun while the criminal has a useless gun.

Interesting theory. A little bit off the wall but okay if he is comfortable with the concept.

I have heard the term, BBQ Gun, but I have always considered myself too practical. I never bought a gun because of how it looked, nor have I ever tricked one out. When I buy one I want to shoot it; not leave it in a safe or a cabinet where it looks pretty.

If I had to categorize one of mine as a BBQ gun I guess it would be this one.

1597346103833.png

I have heard the term, BBQ Gun, but I have always considered myself too practical. I never bought a gun because of how it looked, nor have I ever tricked one out. When I buy one I want to shoot it; not leave it in a safe or a cabinet where it looks pretty.

If I had to categorize one of mine as a BBQ gun I guess it would be this one.

View attachment 11071
I also have a Walther PPK/S in .380ACP (or 9mm Kurtz, if you prefer). Is yours .380 or .32ACP? Mine has reliability issues unless I feed it Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

Had to double check the title on this one... you guys know how to drift a thread for sure! LOL

I also have a Walther PPK/S in .380ACP (or 9mm Kurtz, if you prefer). Is yours .380 or .32ACP? Mine has reliability issues unless I feed it Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

Mine is a .380. I haven't had any feeding problems.

Thread drifting is quite common here. Guilty as charged. We should get back on track.

Latest posts

Back