Get Home Bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Reaction score
I read a lot of posts here that address equipment in BOB's. I never hear anything about a GHB = Get Home Bag. For most people they drive to work and then home everyday. Nothing is said about having a bag just to get yourself home. It would be an extremely rare event that you would not get home to assess what is going on, regroup with family, shore up what preps you have.

I'm not writing this to blast anyone. I am trying to bring on some thinking on everyone's part on what their actual plan will be. When you grab your BOB, where exactly are you going? At what point do you Bug Out? If you walk out of your house and plan on living in the woods will you make it more than a week? I can tell you from experience in living in the wild for up to a week at a time FULLY prepared it is very taxing physically. Bugging out will not be a camping trip out of a Winnebago RV. A bug out without a destination is = refugee. You will either end up dead or in a govt shelter. You wont have a lot of your gear as anything CONSIDERED to be a weapon will be taken from you for the benefit and safety of everyone. Don't get me wrong, if you plan on getting back to the family farm 100 miles away from the city where you live then I consider this a plan. If you haven't set up travel routes by foot or vehicle it maybe a poor plan but at least you have a destination. Most people I see think they are just head out with no talk about what or if they have an idea of where they are going.

I also see a lot of people talk about the equipment they put in BOB's such as machetes, NBC gear, hatchets, lock pick kits, handguns, long guns, ammo, knives, etc... I do a lot of canoe trekking. Portaging equipment from lake to lake as we travel. I use my gear and know it well. I also trap, hunt fish and process my own game animals. With the information I see it makes me wonder how many people actually take the time to use their gear after they pack it. People are asking what do you think of my BOB list? I sit back and look at the lists and it makes me think. I don't say much as it would be impossible for me to tell people with great certainty what they should take. Would you tell me what to pack for my next vacation? When I make suggestions I stick to generic ideas: Water, Food, Security, Shelter for the most part. Where are your BOB's kept when you at work? Is it at home? What gear are you carrying with you to ensure you can get home to begin with. You can have the best equipped BOB in the world but if you cant get to it when its needed, there is no value in having it.

Would most people be better served having a basic GHB rather than a BOB? Could your GHB be part of your BOB on the larger scale? Do most people need a BOB or are they setting themselves up for failure? Are they living in a fantasy thinking they will live off the land? Most people have never eaten an animal that they have not gotten from the local grocery store. What makes them think they will walk into the woods and magically become Daniel Boone?

Sorry for being long winded post but I want to provoke some constructive discussion we can all take something positive away from.

I actually echo some of your thoughts trapper. Of course I'm brand new to prepping so ill hold my tongue on some things but I agree that a GHB would be more practical in the case for most people. I tend to lean towards the school of thought that experience and knowledge of your equipment trumps the latest gadget. It reminds me of a lot of hunters I see now a days with their 2,000$ night scope and they're brushing doe urine all over themselves and their gillie suit, while I walk into the woods in jeans and a camo jacket and my 30/30 and will bag one before them because I know how to track and scout. You've got me thinking now, since I just started I don't have a BOB or GHB but think ill lean towards a GHB first since thats the most likely option for me.

That made me think about a small GHB kit. Although I do have some canned goods here at the office (for emergency . . . snacking hehehe)....

Considering the factors:
I work in the building beside my condominium. My eldest eldest daughter studies in a school about 10 minutes walking distance from the condo. While my youngest eldest daughter who goes to pre-school with the mom (naw, the mom is not in pre-school) has her school about 30 minutes walk away.
Maybe I will prepare one for the wife since they are the ones who are farthest away

i have a get home bag since i go to school and work around 12-14 miles from my home. unfortunately it is in my truck at all times. since i carry a backpack full of supplies and my job does not allow for bags with us, they have to be in small lockers. but at least i have a bag in my truck so i can have with me in my truck like a smaller BOB. according to google maps, it may take me 4-4:30 hours to get home walking, without stopping.

I carry a GHB every day, if it's not with me it's in the car, to be honest i don't even have a BOB. my gear is in tote's. If i have to bug out " last resort for me " i need more than we can carry in are backpacks. I am not going to knock anyone here but this shit is not going to be fun. Testing gear is crucial, and cheap gear is going to 性交 you over.

I carry a GHB every day, if it's not with me it's in the car, to be honest i don't even have a BOB. my gear is in tote's. If i have to bug out " last resort for me " i need more than we can carry in are backpacks. I am not going to knock anyone here but this shit is not going to be fun. Testing gear is crucial, and cheap gear is going to 性交 you over.
I couldn't agree more! I have avoided getting cheap stuff.
I know there are many lists on this site for BOB's, but perhaps a list for a GHB would help newer preppers get started.

That would actually really help me, I keep a few things in the truck during winter in case were stranded but usually take it out during the summer months

Honestly I don't have either a GHB or a BOB...I have a bag that I carry from home to work but that has stupid stuff in it...it holds my gun while I'm working and it holds my wallet and misc junk. At work I have water bottles and food in my desk (yes, snack junk but mostly high protein stuff with few carbs)...I have spare shoes at work but nothing that'll get me anywhere! If something happens while I'm at work I'm gonna be up a creek without a paddle...I'm 30+ miles from my car and/or 55 miles from home. Like I said, I have my carry gun....but that won't get me far. Maybe it is time to rethink my work bag.

I too have wondered the need for me to have a BOB...I don't plan on buggin out (unless some catastrophy stikes where I can't hunker down in my home, then I'll be scamperin like a madwoman to shove crap into backpacks around the house....I have no plans to live off the wild...I can shoot my food and I can gut my food but in the beginning if/when something happens I'm gonna want to be hiding and waiting it out if possible.

Honestly I don't have either a GHB or a BOB...I have a bag that I carry from home to work but that has stupid stuff in it...it holds my gun while I'm working and it holds my wallet and misc junk. At work I have water bottles and food in my desk (yes, snack junk but mostly high protein stuff with few carbs)...I have spare shoes at work but nothing that'll get me anywhere! If something happens while I'm at work I'm gonna be up a creek without a paddle...I'm 30+ miles from my car and/or 55 miles from home. Like I said, I have my carry gun....but that won't get me far. Maybe it is time to rethink my work bag.

I too have wondered the need for me to have a BOB...I don't plan on buggin out (unless some catastrophy stikes where I can't hunker down in my home, then I'll be scamperin like a madwoman to shove crap into backpacks around the house....I have no plans to live off the wild...I can shoot my food and I can gut my food but in the beginning if/when something happens I'm gonna want to be hiding and waiting it out if possible.

Yeah i hear ya on the buggin out, I just need to get to the house, really i think that's what everybody needs to do unless they have a stash somewhere. To be honest i think it will be natural disaster before anything else in my life time.

I just have a bag. It has stuff in it. Whether I'm coming home or leaving it it is always with me or close enough. This bag has been carefully developed from years of blah blah blah. I will post a video soon. I'll explain my bag. Some of you may be on board. Others will disagree. Don't care it's mine.

I just have a bag. It has stuff in it. Whether I'm coming home or leaving it it is always with me or close enough. This bag has been carefully developed from years of blah blah blah. I will post a video soon. I'll explain my bag. Some of you may be on board. Others will disagree. Don't care it's mine.

The most important thing is to have what you need when you need it. Call it a BOB, GHB, duffle bag, pile o' crap bag, etc.. it does not matter. I would rather see you have everything than go with nothing!

Chick, this is a reason I posted this was to get people to look at what they do or don't do. Perhaps a bag with good socks or even 2 pair, a fleece jacket, and a good pair of walking shoes. If walking is your only mode of transportation you would be glad to have them. If you have to wear a skirt to work perhaps you may want a change of clothes better suited for foot travel. Is it possible to keep a bag at work? Maybe like a school back pack. Nothing tactical, just functionable. Jan Sport makes some heavy duty bags that would work great for your situation.
Think of a scenario like 9/11. It is not unthinkable to target the Twin Cities. New York has been hit several times, why not shake up someplace else that is less prepared for it?? If the city was in total grid lock and things are not moving, how will you get out? Could you hunker down in the City somewhere until things calmed down?.......... Wouldn't it be nice to have a few comforts in a bag to hold you over a day or 2 if needed until you got home??

Colt, I am in the same boat. I do carry a pack that I keep in the vehicle. I made one for my wife's vehicle and each of my kids vehicles. Bugging out will only happen here if the homestead is no longer safe and I am forced to leave. If that happens I pray I have our vehicles running. The boat and trailer will be hooked up and filled and the insides of the vehicles packed tight. It may look like the Beverly Hill Billy's if you see us going by.........!

Most BOB lists are over stuffed for the beginner. As you gain experience you slim down...

Chick, this is a reason I posted this was to get people to look at what they do or don't do. Perhaps a bag with good socks or even 2 pair, a fleece jacket, and a good pair of walking shoes. If walking is your only mode of transportation you would be glad to have them. If you have to wear a skirt to work perhaps you may want a change of clothes better suited for foot travel. Is it possible to keep a bag at work? Maybe like a school back pack. Nothing tactical, just functionable. Jan Sport makes some heavy duty bags that would work great for your situation.
Think of a scenario like 9/11. It is not unthinkable to target the Twin Cities. New York has been hit several times, why not shake up someplace else that is less prepared for it?? If the city was in total grid lock and things are not moving, how will you get out? Could you hunker down in the City somewhere until things calmed down?.......... Wouldn't it be nice to have a few comforts in a bag to hold you over a day or 2 if needed until you got home??

food /water / radio / first aid / is where i would start, whatever you might need in YOUR area.

Latest posts

Back