Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to finish pruning the rest of the grape vines. We are forecast for four days of rain here won’t get the garden tilled anytime soon. I guess I don’t have an excuse to not till the greenhouse though. I have an electric tiller for it so I don’t breathe the fumes.

I haven’t looked at the ones which use the tractors PTO. They may be much better than the cheesy homeowners versions I’ve seen that get clogged by anything over 1” thick.
The best consumer chipper that I can find is a DR model. It had a lot of negative reviews, mostly about clogging issues. It was priced at $4700 which I thought was a little high and only had a 13 hp engine vs. 65 hp.
The reviews on the PTO chipper were all positive. And it was a thousand dollars cheaper.

The best consumer chipper that I can find is a DR model. It had a lot of negative reviews, mostly about clogging issues. It was priced at $4700 which I thought was a little high and only had a 13 hp engine vs. 65 hp.
The reviews on the PTO chipper were all positive. And it was a thousand dollars cheaper.
The pto chipper seems to be in a way better class than any of the residential chippers I’ve ever seen. Just the difference in HP shows the power difference. Being cheaper helps a lot too. I had a friend in the tree business that bought an older commercial chipper. It was only a couple grand but he was always tinkering with it to keep it running. Unless you like spending your free time being a mechanic I don’t recommend old equipment. His was a beast though and would shred just about anything. It wasn’t a slow feed machine, you would throw a limb into it and it would pull it in in less than one second. Dangerous beast. You didn’t want to get tangled on a branch or there would just be a red smear left in the pile of chips.

The pto chipper seems to be in a way better class than any of the residential chippers I’ve ever seen. Just the difference in HP shows the power difference. Being cheaper helps a lot too. I had a friend in the tree business that bought an older commercial chipper. It was only a couple grand but he was always tinkering with it to keep it running. Unless you like spending your free time being a mechanic I don’t recommend old equipment. His was a beast though and would shred just about anything. It wasn’t a slow feed machine, you would throw a limb into it and it would pull it in in less than one second. Dangerous beast. You didn’t want to get tangled on a branch or there would just be a red smear left in the pile of chips.
I do all of the preventive maintenance on my equipment myself, but I really have better things to do than repairing broken or worn out stuff. When we moved on to this property I bought all new equipment, tools and vehicles.

I do all of the preventive maintenance on my equipment myself, but I really have better things to do than repairing broken or worn out stuff. When we moved on to this property I bought all new equipment, tools and vehicles.
I’m a big do it your selfer, have been my whole life. Now though I’m realizing that I have an average number of healthy days left in life likely. I guess I’m just more conscious of how I want to spend those days now and working on things is lower on my list now. Even new equipment will need some maintenance occasionally, but the restoration or refurbishment of stuff doesn't appeal to me as a fun pastime.

I have been wanting to put in a raised garden,but lets say the idiots start dropping nukes thus contaminating the soil,,,,,so unless you have a green house and I am not sure that will matter your garden site is no longer usable and money spent setting it up is pissed away

tell me I am wrong,,,please

I have been wanting to put in a raised garden,but lets say the idiots start dropping nukes thus contaminating the soil,,,,,so unless you have a green house and I am not sure that will matter your garden site is no longer usable and money spent setting it up is pissed away

You have direct knowledge the "idiots" are going to start dropping nukes?

Otherwise, actually seeing food inflation happening, that whole COVID disruption of meats that happened last year, I am prepping to insulate ourselves from food inflation shock, and or possible shortages.
In short, become as independent of the JIT/BAU system.

Yes you are wrong,,,if you take a look at the area around Chernobyl, the nature is up and growing, wolves and deer and wild pigs abound...even if I KNEW that tomorrow would be bombed--I would start planting all my seeds I have left in my cellar in the hopes that if I don't get to eat their produce, SOMEONE would and be thankful for my pre-planned demise!!
Don't forget: tomorrow is promised to NO PERSON!
You cannot live free if you are afraid to die too soon. Too many are so afraid of dying...they never learn to really LIVE. Gary

Ended up being a gopher while hunny crawled under the house to do some repairs. Apparently whoever built our house left open holes around the drain lines for the bathtub and also around the water lines. Last night while hunny was in the hall bathroom he could hear mice that were apparently living under our tub so went under the house to investigate. We kind of knew because of our master bath remodel a couple years ago. While hunny was under the house, I needed something to do nearby to listen out for him so I could run back and forth from him to the red barn for different tools, wood and handing him different things.

So I played around in my kitchen garden right off the back porch. Ended up planting 4 different lettuce, chives, parsley, kale, spinach and some mustard. We wont tell hunny I picked another ripe strawberry, right? :) Really liking all the herbs growing right outside the door ready for picking.

Then I just played around in the back flower bed cutting all the dead from the freeze out.

Cleaned my strawberry bed and clover seeds have washed downhill and started growing really well. Clover is a pain to pull. I hate losing them because the bees love clover. Also, I've lost about 20+ plants over the Winter . I thinned some and replanted in the bare spots. I am so far behind on SPRING cleaning. Some of the vines are already blooming.

Note, I run a Linux Mint box, and use a lot of Linux/Freeware programs.
I was getting scared its linux only . I run windows . But i see there is windows version too. thanx bro this will come in handy for sure. But it wont download when i click on windows version download link ....

I was getting scared its linux only . I run windows . But i see there is windows version too. thanx bro this will come in handy for sure. But it wont download when i click on windows version download link ....

That is odd.
When I click on the Windows .exe, my box asks me if I want to Save to my Downloads folder.
I did, and the .exe is there.

Are you running a ad blocker?

Latest posts

Back