Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have my dedicated 4 beds that will be 8 rows of corn, for my hunny but that wont happen until next month. As expensive as corn seeds are, I am not willing to take the chance.
My gosh...how expensive are corn seeds that you have to worry to buy again?
We get a package with about 50 sweet cornseeds for less than $2.00!! Gimme an address and I'll send you some! Gary

Emptied the rain gauge in the garden from the weekend 7 inches of rain so far this weekend and still sprinkling rain. Ordered 4 new fruit trees. Two Dunbar plums and two heirloom apricots. Along with the 5 blackberry plants I added and the 7 new blueberry bushes that is all I plan to add for the spring. A low of 25 is forecasted for the next week. Everything is blooming so that should knock back the fruit harvest some this year. We shall see. Got the cabbage plants out before the rain so that is good. Hopefully back to raised bed repair next week.

I worked about 70hrs last week so I haven’t touched any gardening yet. Reading all the posts above makes me want to get out and get dirty though. It’s raining now so isn’t happening today. The greenhouse looks like something out of Jurassic park right now. I never pulled last years crops or weeds and they have grow huge. Right now resting for the upcoming week is highest on my agenda....

Well, I was supposed to transplant some of the seedlings.
Woke up to about an inch of snow. More snow in the forecast, lows in the teens. Upside is it is only an inch or so.
Will push the transplant to the right by a week or so.

planted three rows of three different beans today. Also a row of various sizes and types of sunflowers as a "pretty-pretty" for my wife. Tulips and various flowers coming up. Cherry tree budding. Grapes pruned 3 weeks ago but not budding yet. Got the sweet chestnut tree planted...sitting in front of an open fire in the garden barefoot and a beer...GP

Finally bought a ride 'em lawnmower. A nice J Deere. It'll arrive next week. Was at Tractor getting turkey starter, our turkeys arrive in a couple weeks, and they also had some bareroot grapes, blackberries, and raspberries. So got a number of those.

The wife finally decided where she wants the new green house built. Problem is she wants it where the barn corral is. I don’t think she realizes how much work is involved in moving a corral. I'll just add it to my project list.
We went down south yesterday and bought some fruit trees; apple, cherry and plum. And some black berry plants, potato starts and garden seeds. The garden and orchard is still covered with snow so it'll be awhile before we can plant anything.
Enough snow has melted off now that I can start repairs on our south and west lower elevation fences. Should be done with fence repairs by June.

That's a bummer, Gary.
I spent yesterday reclaiming some dirt plots near the house, outside the kitchen window. Collected old bricks, and made a border, redug the dirt, took out the rocks, added a bunch of aged cow manure. Now I have two 8 foot growing areas, I think I'll do mint in one and onions in the other.

This is a dangerous time for the orchard. After their long sleep the trees really want to wake up and a few spring like days is like coffee to them. We are almost certainly going to have nights in the low 20's. The Siberian apricots are very cold hardy. Some of the apples and pears, not so much. I have a Canadian blueberry that does well except for being 4 years old and no berries yet. My almond tree lost a branch during a blizzard. I need to saw it off smooth and paint it before the bugs wake up. Planted beets and squash in the house, and even some peas that I'll put outside as soon as the ground can be rototilled. Off to a good start but here the weather is always a roll of the dice.

Latest posts

Back