Bounty of the earth

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I've always suspected that there was enough food at the BOL that we could survive on the Earth's bounty alone. The Indians did it, so why not?
But I am now getting very serious about identifying what can be eaten.
Of course there is the meat...
Deer, ducks, doves, rabbits, quail, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, armadillos, beavers, etc.
But you gotta have more than meat.
Previously, I identified muscadines, blackberries, poke salad, wild greens (wild lettuce and wild brassica species), cattails, palmetto shoots (heart of palm), chanterelle mushrooms, etc.
This trip I found three new things. First, which I kind of suspected, was muscadine leaves. You can use them just like commercial grape leaves for things like dolmas (stuffed grape leaves), but you can also fry them in olive oil with a little salt and make tasty crispy chips out of them!
You can drink muscadine sap. You can also use a section of muscadine vine as a water filter.
But this was the BIG discovery. Those big white morning glory flowers? I discovered they are Ipomoea pandurata - wild potato.
They have many names because they have been an important food source in the past for many different people.
Indian potato, bigroot morning glory, man of the earth, wild potato vine, manroot, wild sweet potato, and wild rhubarb, among others.
There is conflicting information about the edibility of the leaves, but I think it is most accurate to say they are "edible" but not "palatable."
The leaves have no taste at all and are very fibrous. Kind of like trying to eat twine. I tried a very young leaf and it was no better than an old one.
The plant is very similar to modern sweet potatoes, similar leaves and flower. But the root goes down much deeper and the plant is a perennial which can survive freezing weather, unlike the sweet potato which dies in the winter. The tuber must be boiled first for 30 minutes to remove bitterness, then it can be cooked like a sweet potato.
And these things are EVERYWHERE at the BOL.

Last edited:
And the third thing was persimmons. I knew we had some, but I didn't know how many because I'm usually not there when they are on the trees.
I found a tree that was just about ready to start dropping persimmons and stood up on the back of my truck and picked a bunch of nearly ripe persimmons. When they get ripe...COMPLETELY RIPE...man are they good! But if they are not completely ripe...o_O

One of the Choctaw clans in Mississippi was known as the "potato eaters" because their staple was some sort of wild potato. For years I've been trying to find out what kind of wild potatoes they ate but never could pin it down. I now believe they were eating morning glory roots. Either Ipomoea pandurata (with large white flowers), or Ipomoea lacunosa (whitestar morning glory with small white flowers)
Most morning glories have small roots that do not form tubers, and are toxic.
Ipomoea batatas is another that forms an edible tuber, and we call them "sweet potatoes." The name "batatas" is from the Taino name "batata" their word for "sweet potatoes" and where the word "potato" comes from. Yes, sweet potatoes were simply called "potatoes" before we had a name for the common potato (Solanum tuberosum) which just got lumped in with sweet potatoes and were both called "potatoes" until the 16th century. Then sweet potatoes were called "common potatoes" and potatoes were called "bastard potatoes or Virginia potatoes".

Young Ipomoea pandurata plant. If it has nothing to climb on, it just makes a bush and keeps growing up, six feet or more. Notice the purple stems.
j6G4RPj.jpg

Ipomoea pandurata flower. This is afternoon. In the evening it closes up tight, and in the wee hours of the morning it opens up wider than my hand - six inches across. I have spread the petals out manually to show the ruby throat. It can be anything from red to purple.
No pictures of roots this time. The shovel's handle was broken, and the tractor with the front end loader was having hydraulic problems. I'll take proper digging tools next time.
lu7NO5I.jpg

z5wd1FH.jpg

t147u26.jpg

Last edited:
To recap on the morning glories...

You are looking for:
1. Large white morning glory flower (5-6" across when open) with a pink to red to purple throat
2. Purple stems (especially on the young plants)
3. Heart shaped leaves or close to heart shaped (could be more fiddle shaped, lance shaped or slightly lobed but not deeply lobed)
4. Vertical sweet potato-like tuber, usually very deep.

If it has the first three, then dig. It will either have a sweet potato like tuber or it won't. If it has one, that's a positive ID and it's an edible wild potato. The older the plant gets, the larger the tuber gets (it just keeps getting bigger and bigger), and the more bitter it is. The more purple the stems are, the younger the plant is.

Latest posts

Back