Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking and freezing asparagus every other day still. Rhubarb this week for the freezer. Notice the mulberry tree is loaded as well as the grapes, blueberries and plums. Green beans up and will plant another batch next week for succession. Purple hulls to go in the ground this week also. Cabbage starting to head. Blackberries blooming and fig trees are putting out . Gooseberries are sizing up. Plums and peaches are sizing up and the Sweet potatoes are starting to vine. Put branch spacers on the 2 new pear trees. Sure could use some rain though.

Temps in the mid 80' so far which believe it or not are record highs for here this time of year. Down in the basin below us they are running in the 90's. Rain has disappeared though! Sure glad I have rain barrels for watering.

Still painting rail fence in the early mornings. Also want to paint the back shed and chicken house this summer. The farmers are cutting hay and taking advantage of the dry weather.

Stay safe and prep hard!

Its warmed up to 50 degs here and I might get to finish tilling the garden today and plant some fruit trees. Yesterday I started siding the ATV shed, got about half of it sided. Got the floor framed on the fur shed addition too. Finished building the floor for the wifes garden shed, now I'll start on framing the walls. I'm running low on lumber so I'll put together a material list and go pick it up later this week.
Now its starting to rain.

I braved the greenhouse that I hadn’t been in since fall. Everything was 7’ tall and so thick I needed a machete to get in! Got everything pulled and soaked the dry dirt thoroughly and hope to till it this afternoon. Going to plant hopefully too but keeping it small this year due to work. Will focus on quality over quantity. A little sad to miss the cool weather crops this round but at least I’m finally getting the summer stuff in the ground.

I braved the greenhouse that I hadn’t been in since fall. Everything was 7’ tall and so thick I needed a machete to get in! Got everything pulled and soaked the dry dirt thoroughly and hope to till it this afternoon. Going to plant hopefully too but keeping it small this year due to work. Will focus on quality over quantity. A little sad to miss the cool weather crops this round but at least I’m finally getting the summer stuff in the ground.

I can understand that. I spent time last year with a knee injury and broken foot. Hard to garden on crutches. So I have been playing catch up all spring.

Was working in the garden, decided to repaint the inside of the sailboat with the warm sun and no clouds...pulled the cover off, pulled the wooden planks out, painted everything, got a call to go help somebody...and a thunderstorm with a cloudburst came up while I was gone. Now I gotta pump out the 2 inches of water in the bottom of the boat,,,,yeee haaa

I am honestly just depressed over this years garden. I should have done my raised beds like normal, but didn't I listened to my sweet hu8nny who was really wanting to just make my live easier. I am seeing what that means now. I will either let this year ride as is, or I will have to do my trenches and raised beds during the heat of the summer. I am already tired trying to do what I need done here and a work schedule.

My garlic is starting to wilt from too much rain and the tomatos are just stagnating from no sun for too many days. It came out today and should get up to 90°... hope for the best. Gave the gypsy widow down the street a hoe since she kept coming to borrow it and it was one that was still here when we bought the house. Made her day. She brought Helena some pretty purple flower and planted it directly in her garden and it is the tallest flower there now...good trade.

It rained all day yesterday and all night, just overcast today. Its warmed to about 50 degs today. We dont get the amount of rain that many of you get. This past week we got 1" of rain and about 4" of snow. Thats a lot of rain for us.
Tomorrow should be dry enough to finish planting the garden. Last week the wife planted some garlic and its already up a couple inches today.

I love living in Montana. But the weather is completely unreliable. There is not one month out of the year that I have not seen it snow. At 0500 this morning I built a fire in the stove. By 1400 I almost turned the air conditioner on. I love how the greenhouse keeps everything from freezing at night. This afternoon I was installing some lights and switches in it and I had to get out because it felt like Death Valley in August.
Chester the dog is on the mend now. Almost died. The vet charged several hundreds of dollars to tell me she couldn't figure out what the cause was, only treat the symptoms. He is a Doberman Pitbull cross. Very sweet dog. I set my plate on the floor without thinking. He ate garlic, onion, sweet peppers, and jalopeno. None are good for dogs. Dogs have a very keen sense of smell but there taste buds, not so much. His tight lipped Doberman, non drooling mouth, turned into a St. Bernard joweled stream. His lips swelled so much that he could not close his mouth. Next time you take a drink try to swallow with your mouth open. We gave him anti inflamitory drugs and doggie prophen. The swelling eventually went down some, but he still looks like circus clown. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back