Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The temp is 38 degs and dropping and its snowing. Yesterday we brought home some tomato, pepper, cucumber, onion, watermelon and squash plants. We had to bring all the plants inside last night. Its always a gamble to plant anything before June 15th around here. I’ve got to get that dang greenhouse built.

Almost 80 F last week, high in the 40's today. Frost and snow tonight. Greenhouse is great. Probably my best investment in a hobby that could turn out to be my best investment in prepping. Working on electrical today. Installed 2 GFI's. Working on lighting and more shelves. Purchased grow lights and more insulation. Tomatoes have flowers.
Damn. Chester. the dog ate a jalopeno. Blisters all inside his mouth and throat. Drinks and drinks. We measured the water in his bowl. He not getting any just sloshing it around. He is being rushed to the nearest vet, 60 miles away.

Almost 80 F last week, high in the 40's today. Frost and snow tonight. Greenhouse is great. Probably my best investment in a hobby that could turn out to be my best investment in prepping. Working on electrical today. Installed 2 GFI's. Working on lighting and more shelves. Purchased grow lights and more insulation. Tomatoes have flowers.
Damn. Chester. the dog ate a jalopeno. Blisters all inside his mouth and throat. Drinks and drinks. We measured the water in his bowl. He not getting any just sloshing it around. He is being rushed to the nearest vet, 60 miles away.
Give dog milk to drink. He will be ok. Give his his food wet, in multiple small portions over the next couple of days.

My garden is drowning right now . . . Lesson learned. . . I will make my raised beds again and not just let hunny till and use the row maker behind the tractor. The established squash type plants and tomatoes are doing fine. Everything else not so much. I have eaten a few yellow and party squash along with some cherry tomatoes. I am very thankful for having my bumper crops last year cause so far, it's not looking good for me this year.

Thank you all. Milk and cheese are good advice. However poor Chester had a reaction that closed off his esaphagus almost completely. Fortunately he could breathe but he could barely eat or drink. On IV for a while then sent home with medications and instructions. For some reason he can eat ice cubes witch saved his life. Food is boiled chicken with chop sticks deposited in the back of his throat. What is a dog worth? What are you willing to give up to save a beloved pet? It depends on many things. Chester was a rescue dog. Cost about $100. If the vet said it would cost $1000 to save him I would say. "Done."

Thank you all. Milk and cheese are good advice. However poor Chester had a reaction that closed off his esaphagus almost completely. Fortunately he could breathe but he could barely eat or drink. On IV for a while then sent home with medications and instructions. For some reason he can eat ice cubes witch saved his life. Food is boiled chicken with chop sticks deposited in the back of his throat. What is a dog worth? What are you willing to give up to save a beloved pet? It depends on many things. Chester was a rescue dog. Cost about $100. If the vet said it would cost $1000 to save him I would say. "Done."
I'm glad to hear that Chester is doing better. For me my old dogs life is worth whatever I could afford to pay to keep him healthy. He's always been there for me.
Our dog also has problems with his esophagus collapsing making it hard for him to breathe. It was so bad last week that I thought I was going to have to put him down. He's getting somewhat better now.
Good luck with Chester.

What are you willing to give up to save a beloved pet? It depends on many things. Chester was a rescue dog. Cost about $100. If the vet said it would cost $1000 to save him I would say. "Done."
When our "rescue" dog --Leica-- was poisoned, we spent over $1100.00 in only 3 days to find out she could not be saved and still had to put her down... You have to know what you do. BUT, never forget how many dogs have saved how many lives, made you laugh so many times, got the children to get out and play and protected their beloved humans from intruders, snakes, other dogs and fires...what value can you put on that???
We had more money, but we could not save her from the atrocity some piece of human crap decided to do. Kill an innocent dog...maybe because he/she was bit by a different dog or maybe just got barked at too many times??? I would have stuffed the poison down their throat and let them start to die from it before calling the ambulance to save their sick lives...GP

Hello,
I have always wanted to try and have a garden. It is difficult because I have mobility issues. For a milestone birthday my wonderful children have worked thing out to help me and they got me two containers about three feet by one foot in size and about one foot deep. I was thinking I would like to try and grow green beans, carrots, and cucumbers to start with. I am a complete novice at any type of plants or gardens. I will be starting out slow but I will be STARTING! I’m excited to learn and adapt to make it possible. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance! ~Lindy

Start with good dirt. If you're seeding the containers, use a good seed mix. Remember to water. Make sure the containters have good drainage. Make sure they get a good amount of sunlight.
Have fun!

Dear Mr or Ms Amish Heart
What do you mean “use a good seed mix”. I was going to go to a store to get a packet of seeds. Is there something I should do to make them better. Is Miracle Grow good to use on to make a good seed mix? Thank you for helping me! ~Lindy

Miracle Grow will do if it's the potting variety, and not the outdoor in ground variety. It says on the bag.
I use a seed starter mix (in a small bag) if I'm starting in cups and transplanting later.
Easiest way is to get your miracle grow and your seeds or buy small plants

got a few days of 80s and more predicted lite rain for the next week >>> all it took for the planted seeds to pop - beans & cucumbers are already showing >> only thing questionable is the early trial beans - coming up random

moved some rainwater this AM and got the buckets of Miracle Grow solution ready for the tomatoes & peppers - like to juice the fresh planted to get the tomato stem nubbies sprouting ...

been constructing permanent trellising for the pole beans - want more bean crop and I'm looking down the road where bush bean picking might not be toooo practical anymore ....

Miracle Grow will do if it's the potting variety, and not the outdoor in ground variety. It says on the bag.
I use a seed starter mix (in a small bag) if I'm starting in cups and transplanting later.
Easiest way is to get your miracle grow and your seeds or buy small plants
Thank you for the information!
Blessings
Lindy

Heh aside, mmmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_190304_01.jpg
    IMG_20210523_190304_01.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back