Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand that. I spent time last year with a knee injury and broken foot. Hard to garden on crutches. So I have been playing catch up all spring.
No injuries here but My work life has been really good, and really bad for my recreational hobbies.... at least I did get everything planted finally. I am really looking forwards to retirement at the end of the year so I can peruse my pet projects full time around here.

Got the garden all tilled and about 1/3 has been planted. Since we're not raising pigs again this year I decided to till the pig pen too. We're going to plant corn, squash and watermelon in the pig run.
The wife figured out where she wants the green house and the garden shed. I need to move the fence on the upper part of the garden about 20 feet east. This will give us enough room for the green house, garden shed and add about 400 sqft to the garden. I'll start clearing the trees and brush this Fall and level the site for the green house and possibly get the foundation set before snow fall. I'm going to set up a small solar system for the green house that will power the fan, vents, grow lights and a small water pump. If I'm feeling really energetic I might even run some wiring to the chicken coop to power a couple lights for the winter.

I started 6 more compost piles yesterday after pruning blackberry runners, Nanking cherry bushes, grape vines and some of the figs. Managed to get the chicken and duck house straw and chicken run litter all incorporated into the compost piles. With all that chicken poo and grass clippings and coffee grounds along with all the straw bedding that should be some rich compost when finished.

Rain today so doing laundry :)

I've been watching videos on using hydrogen peroxide in and on your garden and plants. I have never used it.

Have you guys and what do you think? I have lots of peroxide in my stores and I know it doesn't have a long shelf life. I appreciate any questions, comments or snide remarks.

I've been watching videos on using hydrogen peroxide in and on your garden and plants. I have never used it.

Have you guys and what do you think? I have lots of peroxide in my stores and I know it doesn't have a long shelf life. I appreciate any questions, comments or snide remarks.

Use HP on your plants. Mixed with water. Once a week or so on insidevplants and right after it rains for outdoor plants.

Do you have a problem with algae?

Don't use chemicals on your garden, use natural pesticides, fungicides and minerals.

Cinnamon is a good repellant for many bugs and against root rot and some fungi.

cayenne pepper is good repellant for many for critters.

I really had a good harvest of onions, I have already gotten about 64 cups bags out ih the freezer along with Freeze drying about an equal amount. Have more drying right now in the freeze drier and more that i have not picked out in the garden. Tomatoes have been ripening, but when I went out to pick, it looks like racoons have found it. All of my almost ripe tomatoes were gone today. I did get about a dozen patty squash and a few peppers, jalapenos and bells.

As of today we have planted 5 varieties of hot peppers, 4 types of corn, squash, several watermelons, tomatoes, cucumber, several types of herbs, onions, potatoes, garlic, celery, 2 plums, 1 cherry and 1 apple tree. We'll be done planting by Sunday and going fishing on Monday.
Someone has been busy. My onions are planted for mom. She likes them small and cut up in salads with hot bacon grease and apple cider vinegar.

I really had a good harvest of onions, I have already gotten about 64 cups bags out ih the freezer along with Freeze drying about an equal amount. Have more drying right now in the freeze drier and more that i have not picked out in the garden. Tomatoes have been ripening, but when I went out to pick, it looks like racoons have found it. All of my almost ripe tomatoes were gone today. I did get about a dozen patty squash and a few peppers, jalapenos and bells.
I hate when the bandits wait until my mouth is watering waiting for delicious tomatoes and they rob me. My culprits are usually squirrels. That's what they did with my strawberries.

Man I got it good here, no squirrels, raccoons, coyotes, rabbits or such can get to my garden. Only the neighborhood cats to take a dump....No potato bugs yet. Onions are as big a pool balls at the moment. Planted two types of watermelons so far. The flower garden Helena planted is full and blooming. Put the sailboat in the water yesterday for the first time too after watering the garden as it has not rained for a few days now. Everything is green, GP

Today was a perfect day to work in the garden; high temp was 67 degs with a light wind. Its supposed to get in to the mid 30's next week.
The wife planted a lot of stuff today; carrots, pickeling cucumbers, more watermelon, lettuce, parsnips, bell pepper, bush beans, pole beans, squash, melons, zucchini and another bed of herbs.
I'm going to order a fruit press soon for making cider and juice. I'm looking at getting a Homestead press from Happy Valley Ranch. Its a little pricy at $1500, but I like my juice in the morning.
Just got the fire started, we're grilling a prime rib for dinner.

Today was a perfect day to work in the garden; high temp was 67 degs with a light wind. Its supposed to get in to the mid 30's next week.
The wife planted a lot of stuff today; carrots, pickeling cucumbers, more watermelon, lettuce, parsnips, bell pepper, bush beans, pole beans, squash, melons, zucchini and another bed of herbs.
I'm going to order a fruit press soon for making cider and juice. I'm looking at getting a Homestead press from Happy Valley Ranch. Its a little pricy at $1500, but I like my juice in the morning.
Just got the fire started, we're grilling a prime rib for dinner.

Those are nice, but they only$1000, even the big 2 tub model is $1250 and you should get free delivery.

Let me know what you think of it after trying it out.

Latest posts

Back