Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was able to work in one garden. Did some mulching , filled in some empty spots where seed didn't sprout, planted some watermelon even though it's too early. At least I got a small amout accomplished before more rain comes.

From what I'm reading, fruits and veggie prices are really going up, so I'm hoping to have good crops.

This is what prepping is all about.

I bought apples today. $2.00 a pound.
Rub it in girl!! 🤣 I knew when I bought but that was her request. . . and she did specify the type of apple or I would have gone with the Gala's at a much cheaper price. On the bright side. I did notice one apple growing on the new Dorset apple trees we planted a couple week ago.

Rub it in girl!! 🤣 I knew when I bought but that was her request. . . and she did specify the type of apple or I would have gone with the Gala's at a much cheaper price. On the bright side. I did notice one apple growing on the new Dorset apple trees we planted a couple week ago.

You are right though produce is not very good quality and the prices are out of sight. The produce section of the local grocery stores are about half the size they were pre covid and the quality has definitely gone down.

I sprayed my holly hedge today with Neem it has a good case of scale and a black scum on the leaves from the honeydew. Trimmed them before hand. Also sprayed the azaleas next door and hoping they had not spread. The azalea flowers are just opening.

Planted Beauregard sweet potato slips. Also planted seeds of determinate paste tomato and seeds for "Big Rainbow". My favorite heirloom bicolor slicer. Also planted seeds of "California Wonder" sweet bell peppers.

Also did some weeding around the elderberry bushes. Hoping to pick rhubarb tomorrow. Good lord willing and the creek don't rise 🤣

I sprayed my holly hedge today with Neem it has a good case of scale and a black scum on the leaves from the honeydew. Trimmed them before hand. Also sprayed the azaleas next door and hoping they had not spread. The azalea flowers are just opening.

Planted Beauregard sweet potato slips. Also planted seeds of determinate paste tomato and seeds for "Big Rainbow". My favorite heirloom bicolor slicer. Also planted seeds of "California Wonder" sweet bell peppers.

Also did some weeding around the elderberry bushes. Hoping to pick rhubarb tomorrow. Good lord willing and the creek don't rise 🤣
I plant the California Wonder too.

You had a busy day. I'm was afraid the storms would blow away the newspaper mulçh but it didn't.

Granny Smith were $1 a lb last year, so that's crazy. There's about 3 apples in a lb average.
Seed started some cantaloupe today in the greenhouse because I forgot to. Moved the watermelon from the seed starting trays to small pots. I have alot to plant out in the garden, but am waiting till the 15th

Granny Smith were $1 a lb last year, so that's crazy. There's about 3 apples in a lb average.
Seed started some cantaloupe today in the greenhouse because I forgot to. Moved the watermelon from the seed starting trays to small pots. I have alot to plant out in the garden, but am waiting till the 15th

I am holding off on planting outside as well. It has been really cool and the soil is waterlogged from all the rain. Cold wet soil will rot seeds in a hurry.

We tried the Minnesota Midget cantaloupe last year for the first time. We loved that they were the perfect size for 2 people, open pollinated heirloom so we can save seeds and they slipped from the vine on their own when ripe. They did great.

I bought apples today. $2.00 a pound.

Before Cesar Chavez and his Delano Grape Strike in 1969, I never, ever, bought fruit until it dropped to 10 cents a pound.

but the fuel tank got water in it somehow.
Hey Arctic, if a tank is not completely filled, sits in a sometimes cold and sometime warm environment...it will get water in side just from condensation coming from the changing temps. Keep it full or pull it off for winter and keep it dry and cold to prevent anything from happening, rust, condense water and such.

The Iris are blooming here ladies just in time for Mother's Day. I love Iris. The snowball bush is covered in flowers too.
1-100_6849.JPG

100_6842.JPG

100_6845.JPG

Latest posts

Back