Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was just not feeling well at all. This morning it's just poured rain do my last 2 beds will have to wait to get planted.

As I mentioned before, clover seed washed into my strawberry bed and it is taking over. I transplanted some of it to bare spots in yard. The chickens are already scratching at it.

I did end up buying some asparagus roots from our local Tractor Supply, even though I was not very hopefull. I thought they were goners, but planted them anyway hoping. 2 of the three actually produced! found two shoots today.

Guess I will have to transplant the late cabbage I planted on top.

Last edited:
I've tries to plant asparagus so many times. The troughs that I dug and then added sand were nothing but a big litter box to my cats. I even put netting over it but it didnt work. I have one shoot that comes up every year.
Girl just keep it going. It should last around 15 years. My originals, planted about 15 years ago, have been tilled so much I just dont think they will produce in my main garden.

I planted the Tractor ones, too, a few weeks ago. In a big tub. I had 4 of them, and some old seed. So I planted all of that. Nothing yet

I am tired of fighting the rocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bought a jack hammer,,,,once I have it one day with a tiller and the hammer maybe I can have a garden area
I have had over 100 loads of dirt brought in and still can't dig a hole because of rocks. A jackhammer would be great. I bet there are small versions that would be what I need.

I do not have any rocks here, just really un-fruitful clay-like hard dirt. I go out to the lake and bring back the mole hills of fresh dirt and spread about 5oo to 600 lbs each week to help the garden get better. A big trailer load of cow manure and some nitrogen/potash too. My garden has not been used properly for about 20 years now and I am getting it up to par. If I can keep the cats from sleeping in the warm compost box, maybe my pumpkins will come up and not get crushed daily...hope, I hope...

Our land hasn't been worked in the past 15 years, except the for back 15 acres which has been farmed in grains. Rocks aren't too bad here. We cleaned out the barns last year and they had years of aged manure a half of foot thick on the floors, so we do have a huge manure pile.
So I'll stop complaining, then...My dirt is ok, and I don't have too far to bring manure where I'm planting, and I don't have to go aways to get mole dirt.
I bought some more blackberry bushes and another grape yesterday, so maybe get those planted today.

unless you're 25 years old I wouldn't begin to grow an asparagus patch using seeds - crowns need tons of patience to get a patch going >>> secret is to just leave it alone except to fertilize the hell out of it with regular manure topping ...

great thing is that an established patch will survive forever >> I'm picking a wild patch that was old when I was a kid

Picked my first asparagus today. Bought a new Keiffer pear tree yesterday at the nursery to add to my 2 apricot trees that I just planted and new Dunbar plum trees.

1-100_1980.jpg

Our land hasn't been worked in the past 15 years, except the for back 15 acres which has been farmed in grains. Rocks aren't too bad here. We cleaned out the barns last year and they had years of aged manure a half of foot thick on the floors, so we do have a huge manure pile.
So I'll stop complaining, then...My dirt is ok, and I don't have too far to bring manure where I'm planting, and I don't have to go aways to get mole dirt.
I bought some more blackberry bushes and another grape yesterday, so maybe get those planted today.
Our land has never been worked, except in the homesteading days when the original owner grew potatoes in a small patch and sold to the area miners. Our garden site has deep black soil, no rocks and no clay. Its behind the barn and next to the pig pen. Every spring I clean out the barn and corral with the tractor and dump it in the garden area. The chicken coop is next to the orchard and berry plants. When we clean out the coop we use the shavings and straw to put around the trees and vines. Just one little patch of snow in the garden and another in the corral. Next week I should be able to start tilling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back